'World Class'

Marcos

I've noticed the use of the 'world class' get tagged on to many of World's footballers today. I just want to know your opinion on:

Firstly, what is world class? Definition, without using player names.

Secondly, which players are world class in football at this present moment?

I think World Class is a player who has performed to an excellent standard at the very highest level, both for club and country. A player that would walk into any team in the world.

Over to you...

Edited by Marcos

Term might get overused at times really. I'd say it's more for players who are nearly one of a kind, truly amazing. Not great, but simply brilliant.

Right now, I'd pick Rooney and Ronaldinho. I think they're the two best players in the world at the present time personally. Pure magical.

I would say world class players are people who stand out on a football pitch by a million miles. There are quite a few around at the moment.

People like Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane, Wayne Rooney are probably the ones I can think of at the moment who are truley world class as they stand out from the rest and you know they are going to do something magical in a game.

I always thought World Class meant a player:

Plays in the highest league of a major footballing country.

Excels at these levels, and stands out among the others who also apply to the above.

Usually play for their country too.

I would say world class players are people who stand out on a football pitch by a million miles. There are quite a few around at the moment.

I'd agree with that, look at a team like Arsenal without Henry or Liverpool (at times, especially under Houllier) without Gerrard. Players that can turn an average team into a good one.

Yeh, Gerrard is another one. That is the kind of thing I mean.

I have seen a few Utd games recently and notice that is most of them Rooney has been carrying them, just like Henry carries us, Gerrard carries Liverpool and even Barcelona aren't quite the same team without Ronaldinho. He is what makes them tick.

World class players in my view are ones with extraordinary talent. Who are must-picks for any club which they play for, plus their International sides. Like it's been said, they have a major effect on the team's performance.

Ronaldinho is in a league of his own, however.

I'd agree with that, look at a team like Arsenal without Henry or Liverpool (at times, especially under Houllier) without Gerrard. Players that can turn an average team into a good one.

I also go with the ability to play great in a good team as an example (hey...it's not thier fault they are surrounded by other good players :P).

Step forward Lampard and Terry.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I agree with DMN....World class would be the players that get into a World XI...and maybe the substitutes....

English players?

Lampard would get into a World XI right now for sure.

Rooney would probably be in the strike force set up, probably with Ronaldo.

I think it's easy to get carried away with players in the English leagues but I also feel that other countries are guilty of hyping their own league....Step forward Italy.

Right now, Brazil would probably put forward half of a World XI team!

I agree with DMN....World class would be the players that get into a World XI...and maybe the substitutes....

English players?

Lampard would get into a World XI right now for sure.

Rooney would probably be in the strike force set up, probably with Ronaldo.

I think it's easy to get carried away with players in the English leagues but I also feel that other countries are guilty of hyping their own league....Step forward Italy.

Right now, Brazil would probably put forward half of a World XI team!

I think some English players get under-rated, personally, as they don't have the hype behind them that a lot of the continental players get.

Guest muddatrucker27

To be the best players in the world, but then it depends, if you conducted a top 50 list, all those players would be world class, because they're the best 50 in the world.

But for arguements sake, I think you should stick to making a world team or maybe a squad and whoever makes it, is world class.