Scotland's WC 2006 New Strip

Marcos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the rest of the British Isles hate us in football? Most of the England fans I know will cheer on Scotland, Ireland, N. Ireland and Wales whenever they play an important match. As long as it isnt against England.

Damn those jealous scotties!

England seem to get behind their team and because we go into the game expecting to way maybe why we get to the World Cup. We don't go into a match thinking we're shit and have already lost.

And i believe the Scottish hate us because they're just jealous, that's just my opinion though.

Edited by Stone Cold

I usually support England when Scotland don't get in, but that's maybe because I'm half-English as well.

They certainly don't hate you for being jealous though.

And Scotland have a pretty decent squad, I think we could have qualified if we'd won the games we should have won. But there's no point bitching about it. Walter Smith's turned the team around, and we'll probably qualify for Euro2008.

But we could have qualified if we won the matches we should have won. (0_o)

We dropped points to Moldova, Belarus and Slovenia, all of whom we should have beat. We should have been trying to hold Norway to draws as well. Norway were the 2nd place team in our group at the end.

Even if we did get the second place though, the play-off match would have been brutal considering Norway got the Czech Republic, who have a better team.

It's not like we're the only team not going to Germany who could have, and were hopng to. Belgium, Romania, Denmark, Greece (so much for Euro 2004 being great for Greek football), Russia, Ireland, Israel and Austria didn't qualify, and they all had at least a decent chance to with their teams and the draw.

The fact England fans get such a weird satisfaction out of it is sad, because it's not like we were dead favourites to qualify. I could understand if we were all like, 'HEY, SEE YOU IN GERMANY PRICKS!' when we entered, etc, but we weren't.

Because us losing is the next best thing they have to winner and since they rarely win, its pretty much all they'll ever have.

Personally I'd say it's because of the media hyping the team up far too much. Every time a World Cup or European Championship rolls around, it's all about how this is England's time and how it's possible for them to go all the way, how Beckham is at his peak, how Terry and Lampard are fantastic because they're with Chelsea, how Rooney is Jesus Christ II. etc. and yet every time they come up short and you read in the newspapers how it's a national tragedy. Not to mention that 1966 gets brought up in some form, in almost every game, by the commentators who come across as being totally biased, sycophantic idiots, and every time a studio pundit opens his mouth I almost choke on the arrogance that comes out.

In short, it really isn't anything against the players, the country or the fans, but more because the press/media seem to portray the opinion that it's England's given right to win every game and whenever they don't there's always something to blame, whether it be a penalty spot, a disallowed goal, a football that's too light/heavy, David Seaman, the opposition fans, the venue, the time of day, the lunar cycle or the colour of Sven's socks, and never the fact that the team and the individual players just aren't as good as they (the press) are building them up to be and that they can't handle that.

I know quite a few English fans, me included, who wanted Scotland to qualify for the World Cup. I generally cheer on any of the home nations (and the Republic) as long as they're not playing England, and I think the fact that a lot of Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans support our opposition all the time is a bit pathetic. You shouldn't really pay much attention to the media, because everyone I know doesn't.

And I think Scotland and Republic of Ireland will both qualify for Euro 2008, but Wales and Northern Ireland won't, because they're shit. <_<

But we could have qualified if we won the matches we should have won. (0_o)

We dropped points to Moldova, Belarus and Slovenia, all of whom we should have beat. We should have been trying to hold Norway to draws as well. Norway were the 2nd place team in our group at the end.

The fact England fans get such a weird satisfaction out of it is sad, because it's not like we were dead favourites to qualify. I could understand if we were all like, 'HEY, SEE YOU IN GERMANY PRICKS!' when we entered, etc, but we weren't.

When will Scottish fans (or maybe just you) realise that the Scottish team isn't that much better than any of the teams mentioned?

In your group, there were no matches you should have won because there were no teams that you are head and shoulders above (well, out of the ones listed). Until it changes drastically, you have to realise that Scotland generally are an average International team, and losing to other average International teams is par for the course.

Plus, not all English fans were that bothered by whether Scotland got in or not, so I wouldn't say we all get a weird satisfaction out of it, although Scottish fans seem to hate England doing well.

EDIT: With a quick look at the FIFA rankings, Moldova were the only side nowhere near you in the rankings, so fair enough about that one. But both Belarus and Slovenia are around the same place as you, and that's considering Scotland have risen recently and they have both fallen places (at the start of the year 2005, Slovenia were 40+ places ahead of you, and Belarus were 18 places ahead of you)

Edited by rvdwannabe