Staying Into Music..

Guest Downcast

Guest Downcast

Okay, I have a problem. For as long as I've listened to music, I've always had the same thing happen to me. I'd hear a song, or a band, and become absolutley obsessed with them, then they would just suddenly fade into the background and I'd never listen to them again, or very rarely. This has happened with alot of my favourite bands from say about 10 years ago 'til now, with the likes of Limp Bizkit, Nirvana, Trivium, 12 Stones and others being my favourite band at one point, and now hardly get played. Is there any way for me to enjoy the songs I've overdone in the past again? And how would you recommend I listen to songs regularly without getting sick of them?

don't listen to them constantly, I used to have the same problem with some older bands too. I just got into a variety of music and you kinda even it out. When you start liking other bands too, you try to listen to all of them and it stops you from obsessing over just one.

Doesn't everyone do that? Isn't that how you build up a respectable collection? I mean... I'm the biggest Beastie Boys fan on the board, but I haven't listened to them for months. I'm listening to Fozzy/Dragonforce/Soulfly/Skindred/Stuck Mojo/Soil at the moment.

When I'm done with those, and I get to a stage where I have nothing new to listen to, I'll bring out the old classics, Beastie Boys, Misfits, whatever.

I used to get obsessed about a band, but these days I get obsessed about a genre. Like, right now, I'm really into southern rap/crunk because of Hustle & Flow, where as a few days ago I was into noise/ambient/drone.

Yeah, I kinda vary from "power metal" like Dragonforce, Manowar, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, etc. To "pretty much power metal" like Maiden and Priest, to "other", like... other bands.

Those three genres are the only ones that exist in my world :P

Edited by TheReilDeal27

That happens to me a lot, but I still balance a lot of my music out, as I go into certain kicks from time to time. Like right now, my new band obsession is Himsa, whereas a couple weeks ago it was Evans Blue. Will I still listen to Evans Blue? Yeah, but not for a little while more than likely.

Right now, though, I'm also on a big Rob Zombie kick, gettin' ready for his new album/tour which I will be attending when he hits Milwaukee.

Enjoy the obsessions, roll with it, go on about it until you bore everyone else around you.

Then you can confuse them when you get bored of it and get obsessed about something else.

It's the way to go, trust me!

It just means you end up with a CD collection or mp3 collection of which you only listen to around 5% of the songs!

It happens on occasion, not so much for me anymore, but it did as I was entering High School. It was then that I heard the Ramones again, and that basically sparked my love for punk music. Since then my interest in music has only grown, and expanded into so many different varieties of rock. Punk music really opened my eyes to a lot of great shit from different era's.

Basically, continue to explore different bands, and don't be afraid to listen to people's suggestions. You never know when you might find the band that will spring your interest in music, and open you up to a new world of music that you will love.