The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

I've got Guitar Hero II and I'm thinking about getting Guitar Hero I. Will the guitar that came with Guitar Hero II work with Guitar Hero I?

If both games are for ps2, then yes. Also: be prepared for hammer ons/pull offs to not work at all in GH1

Well, they do, they are just no were near as leanient for you though.

I've re-realised this after going back to GH1 after playing GH2, and fuck me with Pantera's Cowboys From Hell on expert. 10% is the furtherest I can get. And I was stuck on both QOTSA's No One Knows and Cream's Crossroads for ages on GH1 until like last week when I FINALLY did them both. Most of No One Knows is easy just the green-green&red green-green&red green-green&red flurry is argggghhhhghghghghghghhhhgggghhh!

To the guy who wants to get GH1, do so, its probably the best all round soundtrak to be honest. Sure GH2 has the better best songs, but GH1 is more consistant IMO, plus it opens you up to more music with some lesser known bands, i.e. The Exies.

I think I am done with this game. I tried going back to it after Rock Band completely sucked me in and it just doesn't do it for me at all. After making the transition to Expert in Rock Band, I still can't finish Raining Blood on Hard in Guitar Hero because of the ludicrous difficulty. I don't know if it's the downright idiotic note charts artificially enhancing the difficulty or if it's just the fact that Rock Band is so damn good, but I just can't transition back to Guitar Hero. It sucks because I really want to play it, but Raining Blood infuriates me so badly that I can't even complete the game.

See, this is what I said would happen. Rock Band's Expert is a difficulty that most people will be able to play, but only a few will master, whereas Guitar Hero's Expert was designed for the people who'd already mastered GHII's Expert (which was retardedly hard as it is) and so is just unplayable. Ironically, it's Neversoft - the company you'd expect to try to tailor the GH games into something more mainstream-friendly - that's made them seem less attractive than ever.

I haven't noticed that, outside of one song. In Knights of Cydonia there's a set of notes halfway through the HOPO section that is the exact same order as the others but doesn't use pull offs, and it always fucks up my streak, everytime.

I still can't beat Raining Blood on medium :(

Fuck Neversoft. There is no way in hell Knights of Cydonia is as difficult to play in real life as it is on Hard. It doesn't even make sense half the time, and I swear it's impossible to hit every note in those ultra fast up-and-down strum bits. And no way is the intro riff to the Stricken hammer on and pull off, it's frigging power chords. I get trying to make the game harder, but it needs some sort of logic behind it. Talk ab out coming up against a wall, this group of songs is unforgiving. I wouldn't mind if they'd actually kept it fun to play.

Yahtzee Croshaw Reviews Guitar Hero III

Don't know if anyone's been checking out the Zero Punctuation reviews (I think they're brilliant), but I think that's a spot on take about Guitar Hero III.

Seems a lot of people are turning off the game now that Rock Band's out and the difficulty is just mind numbing.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I saw the Zero Punctuation review earlier today and yeah, it's spot-on. This is when the game stopped being fun and just wanted to present a challenge to the uber dorks who 100% everything on Expert. I was forgiving about this a few months ago because those are the experts and they deserve a challenge... but that was pre-Rock Band.

Rock Band is everything Guitar Hero 3 could have been, but Activision decided to rest on their formula. Which is fine, it was a great formula... pre-Rock Band. Don't get me wrong, GH doesn't need drums or vocals, but everything else from Rock Band could easily translate - character creator, multiplayer World Tour, note charts that actually fucking make sense. The only edge GH has is its online features. Co-op is the same on both games, but the versus modes in GH are much better than those in Rock Band, and GH has the nifty website link-up that doesn't do much yet, but is going to become something bigger in gaming through the years.

Still, I really just can't go back to this game, which is a shame because I LOVE the setlist. Almost every song in the game, I'm a big fan of, but it's just not worth playing when it's this ridiculous.

• Admin

Fuck Neversoft. There is no way in hell Knights of Cydonia is as difficult to play in real life as it is on Hard. It doesn't even make sense half the time, and I swear it's impossible to hit every note in those ultra fast up-and-down strum bits. And no way is the intro riff to the Stricken hammer on and pull off, it's frigging power chords. I get trying to make the game harder, but it needs some sort of logic behind it. Talk ab out coming up against a wall, this group of songs is unforgiving. I wouldn't mind if they'd actually kept it fun to play.

Actually, to be fair, Knights Of Cydnoia is a horrific song to play in real life, unless you are uber-talented. Those and up-and-down strum bits will seem like a cake-walk.