Advent Children

Guest clintcasey

Just saw it, and I thought it was really good.

It was slow getting off to a start, and I didn't like Tifa's fight with Loz since it was moving way too fast at parts, but once I got accustomed to it it was good. Pretty much the entire film from Bahamut onwards is fantastic, and I wouldn't mind buying it (This was a free rental, woot >_>)

Reno is fucking awesome. I know it's been said, and it's blatantly obvious, but my god is he awesome. The Turks need a film of their own damnit.

I didn't like how Bahamut looked like he had dentures in.

I don't like how Cait Sith is suddenly Scottish, for no apparent reason.

I do like the music. Anyone bored enough to rip and upload the soundtrack for me would earn my undying love >_>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming it's a perception ordeal since the original game had no voices, so people probably never thought to perceive Cait Sith as sounding Scottish or whatever

uhhhh

okay

...time to fire up the wiki

EDIT: Wikipedia with the come through.

"Cait Sith" is a spelling variation of Cat Sidhe, a cat-like demon appearing in both Irish and Scottish Gaelic mythology. This figure has inspired many characters in Japanese games, most notably the Final Fantasy series of RPGs, wherein "Cait Sith" (rather than "Cait Sidhe") is used as the official Romanization.

Edited by CloudStrife888

Guest We Are Robots

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children gets a big "meh" from me, it's decent but there's better stuff out there... but then, that's how I felt about Final Fantasy 7 itself too.

I actually enjoy the soundtrack more than the movie (once again, how I felt about FF7 itself too).

Edited by We Are Robots

The best part was when all the characters from the game fought Bahamut in Midgar; mainly because I wanted some of the main characters to bigger roles in the plot (like Cid, Barrett and Red XIII).

And I personally thought they watered down Rude and Reno into the FFVII version of Team Rocket.

I watched it last night at the cinema and it is AMAZING ont he big screen. The realism of the animation made it easy to forget that you're watching an animated film and not a real action film because the animation is that damn good.

Is it a good film? Depends if you like the game. The film goes back to the game, even with the soundtrack. The film is an extension of a great game, but isn't really a great film in it's own right, as some of the gags, characters, etc. would be unknown to people who were strangers to FF:VII (examples are Zack and Aeris, who appear numerous times but are never named or explained. Likewise the clones, whom are not explained. Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie, Cait Sith are also never named. Reno and Rude are named, but the whole idea of the Turks isn't named or explained.)

If you love the game, you'll love the film because the film is loyal to the game (except that boy....whose name begins with D....where did he come from?). But the film doesn't add a lot to the game in terms of fleshing out the characters or building upon the character roles. If you don't like the game, the film won't deliver much for you.

And I personally thought they watered down Rude and Reno into the FFVII version of Team Rocket.

Oh, they did. Reno and Rude had like only one or two moments of true badassery (which would be when they FINALLY get offense in against Loz and Yazoo, plus Rude's BACKUP SUNGLASSES~! and then the giant mass of explosives). But they amused me nonetheless.

I loved all the Reno and Rude moments. My favorite scene was when Kadaj goes to see Rufus about Jenovah's head(?) and it has the badass music playing. I love that scene for some reason with Kadaj kneeling as well.

Guest clintcasey

I loved all the Reno and Rude moments. My favorite scene was when Kadaj goes to see Rufus about Jenovah's head(?) and it has the badass music playing. I love that scene for some reason with Kadaj kneeling as well.

Got done watching it over the weekend... going to write a proper review as a part of an English assignment I'm doing (reviewing a handful of movies).

But, suffice to say that from an FF7 fan's standpoint: I loved it. Of COURSE the Japanese voices were better, but I actually enjoy the English voices. I think they did alright with the selection, but I did notice some quirks:

1. Okay, Sith has his accent... this is to be expected, he IS based off that Scottish myth as others have said. But tell me, WHY does Cloud at times sound ITALIAN? Especially when he delivers his line against Sephiroth "There's nothing that I don't treasure", he has a DISTINCT italian accent... either that, or I'm confusing the New York accent with the Italian one again.

2. The voice actor for Sephiroth actually works well in English, in my opinion, but he drags the lines out a little bit too long at points. For example: the Japanese voice actor who delivered the line "I will... never, be a memory." got the pauses spot on, but this guy made it more "I will............ never be a memory.", it was just really frustrating waiting for him to finish the line.

3. Red XIII needed more lines... he says one fucking thing through the entire film.

4. How the hell did Tseng and Elaina survive? I was shocked they would have killed them off so early, but to give absolutely no hint as to how they survived after it all, much less show up the way they did, was a bit dissapointing.

5. Why couldn't they properly synch up the English voices to the lips in the dub? Really, they've done it in the games... can't they do it for the movie? It gets annoying to have that typicall Japanese-English dub over stereotype where the mouths keep moving after the person's stopped talking, or they're clearly saying something other then what you're hearing.

There's more to say, but I'll save it for the review. Oh, and clint? Rufus DOES get cured of the geostigma at the end. There's a shot of the Turks standing around him in the wheelchair, and you see the lifestream particles floating off of the back of his hand as the rain hits him. He gets cured like everyone else in the end.

EDIT: And as an aside to the complaints about the Seph/Cloud fight scene... after the intial shock of it being Sephiroth wears off, Cloud kicks into a more defensive fight against him. Seph is STILL protrayed as having the upper hand, as for the majority of the fight he's launching Cloud around from his strikes, and chasing Cloud around. He acts nonchalant all throughout, while Cloud continues to struggle against him. Seph WAS portrayed as having the upper hand for most of the fight, while keeping it very close between the two.

My opinion, anyway.

Also, in your final fight against him in FF7, he's pretty much virtually impossible to lose to. You literally just have to stand there doing nothing for him to beat you, because otherwise you just deal one attack (Omnislash, as was delivered at the end of the movie) and he's gone. So I'd say by the end of FF7, Cloud had already surpassed or at least caught up to Sephiroth in terms of skill/strength. So in Advent Children, it seems that Sephiroth grew stronger and held back in their fight-- like he didn't want to kill Cloud, just screw with his head. Cloud had lost skill since their last fight, so it just felt like Sephiroth was trying to bring out the best in him first.

Edited by The Mask of Norro