The 2006 NFL Draft

ACCBiggz

We are closing in with a little more than a week before the Houston Texans get on the clock, unless of course they trade the pick, which they are entertaining.

The Houston Texans are currently not discussing contract talks with Reggie Bush, but are calling the agent of Mario Williams to see what interest he has in talking about a contract. This could merely be a smoke screen, but it could signal a potential trade with the most likely canidate, the New York Jets, that would have the Jets sending the 4th overall and more to Houston for Reggie. The Saints would have an outside chance, but they as well may trade down to try and fill more positions. The Jets are also rumored to want that pick to take Matt Leinart if the Saints do trade it.

This is the hardest year to mock draft because of the potential for trades, and deciding if certain teams would take a QB. Vince Young could fall to the Raiders.

I will try to answer all of your questions, to the best of my ability, about your team... except the Packers :shifty:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so pumped for this, and then I found out it's NEXT weekend, not this weekend. I was sad.

But anyways, it looks like it will be one crazy fucking draft, with so many great players available that could help so many teams. It seems that everybody in the top 5 could easily trade down with anybody else, because there's that much talent at the top of this draft, as well as a ton of sleepers that many are predicting will slip to the late first, early second round.

I haven't been this pumped for the NFL Draft in a long, long time. There are so many possibilities that nobody can really predict what will happen. Sure many think that Bush would go 1st, but then you've got the Texans who may be trading the pick to the Jets who could either take Bush who could instantly be a star, or take Leinert who could also have stardom in NY with Pennington giving a lackluster season last year. I can't wait until next weekend to see what happens, I also think that if Lendale White heads to Carolina then we will have another big season, its a shame that he probably will go before that.

I got no clue what actually happens in these drafts .. they confuse me.

Could some-one maybe explain .. on here.. or PM me .. would be even better.

I'm hoping that AJ Hawk or Michael Huff will fall into the Lions lap, although Hawk will almost definitely not get that far. There is a chance with Huff, but that depends on the Raiders or so it seems. It neither them are there, I'd say we might have to reach for a guy like Jimmy Williams, Ernie Sims, or Chad Greenway. Of course, trading down would be beautiful, especially if a team has an interest in Jay Cutler.

EddieG - Basically, the draft is all the best players from College football entering the NFL. The teams get to choose based on their records of the previous year (worst team chooses first, second worst goes second, and so on). Typically, the best players are rated by position, and teams will decide who they need based on need (a team needs a defensive end or running back, but a running back is the only thing available to significantly help them, so they take the running back), or some go with the best player available. A lot of trades happen, and sometimes NFL players are involved in trades (see the John Abraham to Atlanta deal).

I don't think the Texans need Reggie Bush. If they can trade to someone to get a pick that is still high and get some quality veterans as well, they should take it. I think Houston needs to upgrade there defence more then anything, so they might try to bring some veterans in there.

There's no question that Bush is the most talented player in the draft and should go number 1 To me, the second best talent in the draft is D'Brickashaw Ferguson followed by Michael Huff, but talent doesn't dictate order. If the Jets trade up to get Reggie Bush, then the Texans must pursue Ferguson. They have Moulds and Johnson at wideouts, Carr's still a good quarterback with incredible fundamentals, start building up that protection for him. This is Gary Kubiak's team now, not Dom Capers, the focus will be on the offense first.

Michael Huff should drop to the Lions. The Raiders are going to have a hard time passing up whichever quarterback is available, either Young or Cutler. Cutler fits the prototypical Art Shell quarterback more than Young, but it'll be whoever's available. And if Vernon Davis somehow slips this low, they may snatch him up.

Aside from guessing who's going to trade up to the number one pick (should be Jets since Texans can't drop lower than 4th and still plan on getting Ferguson), there's not a ton of intrigue to the draft. Look at the coaches, look at the connections, the schemes, and players start to fall into place like a well worked puzzle.

Off the wall prediction? Vikings move up to #6 and take a QB, more than likely Cutler, throwing off the gameplan of everyone 7 and under while giving the 49ers more draft picks. 49ers just took Denver's first rounder, they can afford to give up the 6th overall, it'd be more beneficial to them.

There are a couple teams that could probably use a veteran better then a high draft pick. If I was Houston or even Detroit, and I could pick up a skilled veteran and still draft in the first round, I am taking it. This years draft looks pretty deep, so it won't hurt much unless your gunning for Young or Bush.

I think D'Brickashaw or Mario Williams would be a better pick than Bush for the Texans. Domanick Davis is a pretty good RB, so it isn't exactly a huge need. But the Defensive and Offensive Lines for the Texans are horrible. I still think they'll pick Bush though, and then the Saints take Mario Williams. After that, its my Titans who pick. Personally, I would want them to pick Vince Young, but it looks like they're leaning towards Matt Leinart. Thats fine too, but I still wouldn't be upset if they took someone like D'Brickashaw, Williams, Hawk, or even Bush if he falls that far.

who do you think the titans will get with their 3rd pick of the draft? they are going for a qb and the way it is looking they will have their pick. leinhart fits b/c of norm chow being the offensive coordinater. Vince young fits b/c he is considered to be just like mcnair was at that age. anc Cutler fits b/c he is from TN and he was on the north team in the senior bowl which was coached by the titans staaf... so who do you think that they will pick?

who do you think the titans will get with their 3rd pick of the draft? they are going for a qb and the way it is looking they will have their pick. leinhart fits b/c of norm chow being the offensive coordinater. Vince young fits b/c he is considered to be just like mcnair was at that age. anc Cutler fits b/c he is from TN and he was on the north team in the senior bowl which was coached by the titans staaf... so who do you think that they will pick?

Vince Young.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this draft. Unfortunately being a 'Skin we don't have a pick until #53 I think.

Guest Bluesman

Vince Young.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this draft. Unfortunately being a 'Skin we don't have a pick until #53 I think.

I don't think theres any need for us to trade up to be honest. We can pick up some good players in the second round, all we really need is a CB and maybe an OLB (for depth rather than starting).

So I wouldn't like to see us trade up.

Vince Young.

Matt Leinart.

Norm Chow the offensive coord. for Tennessee was his offensive coord. at USC for 3 years, and after individual workouts the tide started to swing in to his favor. He seems to be the most NFL ready QB, although there are questions.

As for the Bush talk, unless the Texans trade down look for them to take Bush. Bush is one of those players that regardless of need you almost have to select because he has the potential to be a player like a Gale Sayers, to which he was compared. The talk of him being too small is just stupid. Look at some of the NFL stars right now, and Bush is a very compact player who can take a beating, that he won't take in the NFL. You don't need him to carry the ball 25 times, he only needs to touch it 15. With Davis in Houston now you have that 2 back system, and you can line Bush up all over the field for mismatches. And look at some of there losses last year, some by a small margin, with Bush they can pick up an extra 3-4 wins from that season, and they've gotten better.

Now would it be a smart move to trade down? Depends on the return. Sure D'Brickashaw is a nice pick, but he isn't Reggie Bush so it would depend on what else they recieve in the draft.

Without any trades this is how the top 5 picks should go, but I expect the Saints to trade down because they have a chance to get more value to accompany Drew Brees.

1. Houston - Reggie Bush

2. New Orleans - Mario Williams

3. Tennesse - Matt Leinart

4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

5. Green Bay - A.J. Hawk

To add to your point on Bush, as you said, he is billed as one of those "once in a lifetime" prospects that you can't pass up. If Bush lives up to the billing, the Texans find themselves with a nice piece of trade bait in Davis. Wether they pull the trigger on that sort of deal now or later remains to be seem.

Plus, the "too small" arguement is bullshit. Does anybody remember some fellow named Barry Sanders? He was supposedly too small for the NFL as well. We all know how that turned out.

Plus, the "too small" arguement is bullshit. Does anybody remember some fellow named Barry Sanders? He was supposedly too small for the NFL as well. We all know how that turned out.

Let's not forget Steve Smith. "Too small" they say, he slips to Carolina in the 3rd round. First time he touches the ball on a kick return, he goes 93 yards for a score. Next season he leads Carolina to the Super Bowl. Season after that he breaks his leg in the opener, only to return in 2005 to lead the NFL in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

The draft matters, you gotta go deep [/NFL Draft commercial]

Touche.

Santana Moss is another guy that had a big year last year. Another guy that people wondered if his size would be an issue. There are always CB's out there that are deemed too small, but turn out to be shutdown corners. Obviously size is a great thing to have, but it's not always the necesary intangible for success, as some scouts like to allude to.

Didn't Bush turn up at the Combine completely out of shape?

It doesn't matter if the Texans take him first or trade the pick, I think the Texans will do much better next year. They have so much talent on the offensive side of the ball already, I don't know how they dropped the ball.