The 2006 NFL Draft

ACCBiggz

Plus, the "too small" arguement is bullshit. Does anybody remember some fellow named Barry Sanders? He was supposedly too small for the NFL as well. We all know how that turned out.

Let's not forget Steve Smith. "Too small" they say, he slips to Carolina in the 3rd round. First time he touches the ball on a kick return, he goes 93 yards for a score. Next season he leads Carolina to the Super Bowl. Season after that he breaks his leg in the opener, only to return in 2005 to lead the NFL in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

The draft matters, you gotta go deep [/NFL Draft commercial]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, the "too small" arguement is bullshit. Does anybody remember some fellow named Barry Sanders? He was supposedly too small for the NFL as well. We all know how that turned out.

Let's not forget Steve Smith. "Too small" they say, he slips to Carolina in the 3rd round. First time he touches the ball on a kick return, he goes 93 yards for a score. Next season he leads Carolina to the Super Bowl. Season after that he breaks his leg in the opener, only to return in 2005 to lead the NFL in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

The draft matters, you gotta go deep [/NFL Draft commercial]

Touche.

Santana Moss is another guy that had a big year last year. Another guy that people wondered if his size would be an issue. There are always CB's out there that are deemed too small, but turn out to be shutdown corners. Obviously size is a great thing to have, but it's not always the necesary intangible for success, as some scouts like to allude to.

I think Kiper said it best that Bush could have worn 85 and still be the #1 Pick, but no matter how talented your QB is, or how altheltic your RB is, you won't be able to produce shit without an offensive line. That's why I say the Texans should take D'Brickashaw or atleast trade down to a spot they know that he'll be left on the board still.

Last year, the Texans gave up so many sacks it's like Carr was playing without an damn Offensive line and they do have that need for a Lineman. He's great at blocking those speed pass rushers(Freeney....) which'll give Carr much, much more time to throw the ball. He's got the athleticism(for a linemen anyways) and quickness to recover if he does get beat.

I'm not bashing Bush in the least bit. He's one of those unique players that come along once in a life time and I do believe that the Texans will take him, but I thick D'Brickashaw would be a smarter move.

Yes White was out of shape at the private workouts, but he also refused to run due to his hamstring being partially torn.

but no matter how talented your QB is, or how altheltic your RB is, you won't be able to produce shit without an offensive line. That's why I say the Texans should take D'Brickashaw or atleast trade down to a spot they know that he'll be left on the board still.

Last year, the Texans gave up so many sacks it's like Carr was playing without an damn Offensive line and they do have that need for a Lineman.

Yes White was out of shape at the private workouts, but he also refused to run due to his hamstring being partially torn.

but no matter how talented your QB is, or how altheltic your RB is, you won't be able to produce shit without an offensive line. That's why I say the Texans should take D'Brickashaw or atleast trade down to a spot they know that he'll be left on the board still.

Last year, the Texans gave up so many sacks it's like Carr was playing without an damn Offensive line and they do have that need for a Lineman.

Last year? Try his whole career. They are not going to turn it around in one year, and yes I can see the need for trading down, and it would be a nice move, but this isn't a standard player in Reggie Bush. This could be one of the best players we have seen in a long time, and as I said... go back to last year, take a look at some of those close games... with Bush they have easily get 3-5 more wins on the season. If the Texans can use free agency for line needs, and the draft next season, I can see them in the playoffs in 3 years, but I don't know how the new coach is going to run the team, so we'll see.

Texans are currently in talks with Bush's agent trying to get a deal done before the draft.

I totally agree with you on the fact that Bush is one hell of a player and he could really help this team out, but the most Im seeing out of him is maybe two extra wins at the most, not 3-5. Do I think he's one of the best players we've seen in a long time, no because you could make a case for Manning and Moss as well, but he is the best player to come into the draft in the past couple of years.

Although I dont doubt the fact that Bush can and will be the number one pick, I just think that D'Brickashaw would be a smarter pick.

I totally agree with you on the fact that Bush is one hell of a player and he could really help this team out, but the most Im seeing out of him is maybe two extra wins at the most, not 3-5. Do I think he's one of the best players we've seen in a long time, no because you could make a case for Manning and Moss as well, but he is the best player to come into the draft in the past couple of years.

Although I dont doubt the fact that Bush can and will be the number one pick, I just think that D'Brickashaw would be a smarter pick.

I am saying he is one of the best players in recent memory to enter the draft. Manning was highly touted, but he was not that fantastic as a college player, good, but not outstanding. He came in regarded due to his genes not so much his game, and it has paid off, not saying it doesn't. Just like the Brady pick for the Pats did, but no one is saying he was coming in as one of the best players. You could argue Vick, but outside of the nationship championship run that got him in to a game against a good defense where he was shut down, he was good as well. Vick would be the closest argument, but Reggie Bush coming in to the draft is one of the best players we've seen.

Sep 11 @Buffalo Lost 7-22

Sep 18 Pittsburgh Lost 7-27

Week 3 BYE

Oct 2 @Cincinnati Lost 10-16

Oct 9 Tennessee Lost 20-34

Oct 16 @Seattle Lost 10-42

Oct 23 Indianapolis Lost 20-38

Oct 30 Cleveland Won 19-16

Nov 6 @Jacksonville Lost 14-21

Nov 13 @Indianapolis Lost 17-31

Nov 20 Kansas City Lost 17-45

Nov 27 St. Louis Lost 27-33

Dec 4 @Baltimore Lost 15-16

Dec 11 @Tennessee Lost 10-13

Dec 18 Arizona Won 30-19

Dec 24 Jacksonville Lost 20-38

Jan 1 @San Francisco Lost 17-20

As far as my Steelers go...here's how I'd like to see their draft play out...

1.32: Donte Whitner - S - OSU -OR- Jason Allen - S - Tennessee

2.64: Rodrique Wright - DT - Texas (May not be there, trade up to mid 2nd to get him)

3.96: Demetrius Williams - WR - Oregon -OR- Chris Gocong - DE - Cal Poly

4.129: Traded to get Rod Wright

4.131: Will Blackmon - CB - Boston College

4.133: Cedric Humes - RB - Virginia Tech

5.164: Traded up to get Rod Wright

5.167: Bruce Gradkowski - QB - Toledo

6.201: Josh Lay - DB - Pittsburgh

7.240: BPA (Possibly Lawrence Vickers - FB - Colorado)

ESPN reporting Texans have reached contract negotiations with Mario Williams to be the Number 1 pick. Wasn't expecting this, but I think this is a MUCH better football move than drafting Bush. As for the fan-base and merchandise, Eh.

Edited by Javs

I think they're better off going with someone like Ferguson or Mario Williams. Anyway, this is how I think the draft will go tommorrow:

1. Houston- RB Reggie Bush

2. New Orleans- OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

3. Tennessee- QB Matt Leinart

4. New York Jets- DE Mario Williams

5. Green Bay Packers- LB AJ Hawk

6. San Fransisco- TE Vernon Davis

7. Raiders- QB Vince Young

8. Bills- OT Winston Justice

9. Lions- S Michael Huff

10. Cardinals- QB Jay Cutler

11. Rams- CB Jimmy Williams

12. Browns- DT Haloti Ngata

13. Baltimore- DT Brodrick Bunkley

14. Eagles- LB Ernie Sims

15. Broncos- WR Chad Jackson

16. Dolphins- LB Chad Greenway

17. Vikings- CB Tye Hill

18. Cowboys- LB Bobby Carpenter

19. Chargers- CB Antonio Cromartie

20. Cheifs- DE Manny Lawson

21. Patriots- CB Richard Marshall

22. 49ers- CB Jonathan Joseph

23. Buccaneers- OT Marcus Mcneil

24. Bengals- DE Tamba Hali

25. Giants- WR Santonio Holmes

26. Bears- TE Leonard Pope

27. Panthers- RB LenDale White

28. Jaguars- RB DeAngelo Williams

29. Jets- LB Thomas Howard

30. Colts- RB Laurence Maroney

31. Seahawks- CB Kelly Jennings

32. Steelers- WR Sinorice Moss

Edited by reyrey619

The Saints need to start shopping that pick and now. They could get a ton for the Reggie Bush pick.

Also, Williams isn't as good as everyone says. He might be good in the future sure, but this guy has had one good season in college. This season came in the ACC, which isn't a bad conference but it's not like the Big Ten or SEC. As one who saw him play on a few occassions this year I can say that he was good, but he needed a lot of work. He likely will be a strong defensive end in his career and have a much longer career than Reggie Bush. But that doesn't mean his career will be better. I don't think it will be.

The Texans made a mistake. Now, from day one, I had been questioning their motives concerning Reggie Bush when they have a perfectly fine RB in Davis, but you don't just not pass up on an athlete like Bush. You could trade the pick, but now it's possible that Bush will fall down to 4 and the Jets will be extremely happy to see a player like Bush drop in their lap like that. On top of that, Bush will show up next season with a chip on his shoulder because he should be the number one pick in the draft, but now a defensive end who by all means will be a good player, but I don't think he'll be a great player like Bush.

That being said, I'm interested in seeing what the Saints will do with the second pick, because they could end up getting some more picks in exchange for that pick and move down a bit more and still pick up the player they've wanted for a long time in Ferguson. It'll also be interesting to see if the Niners move up and try to get that pick so they can get him by using their two first round picks. Definitely the draft got a helluva lot more interesting in the past 24 hours.

That pick is going to the Jets or the Niners.

At 4 the Saints could get D'Brickashaw, a player they actually need, plus I'm sure they could rope in the Jets to give them their later first round pick aswell.

For the Jets, it'd be completely worth it, which is exactly why I don't expect them to do it. The Jets are historically one of the worst drafting franchises ever and I won't be suprised if they don't make the move. Granted they could still end up with Leinart or Young, but for some reason I see the Jets trying to move their later round pick up to get Jay Cutler.

Now the Niners should give the Saints WHATEVER they want, as getting Reggie Bush is the only way the Niners will be able to turn around their franchise for the next few years.

Jets don't seem to want to package two firsts and a third to move up two spots; according to the points system the NFL has they'd be losing out on a few points and the Saints haven't offered anything or anyone to close that gap.

I don't think the Texans have done anything wrong, they should have traded down definately but passing on Bush doesn't mean anything right now. He wouldn't go anywhere behind there O-Line - that's what needs the attention. Davis is a great running back if he has the Line, which he doesn't.

Someone else needs Bush a whole lot more than the Texans, and New Orleans will be shopping that pick if they have any sense. Just like the Texans should have. Texans could easily have picked up Mario by trading down, get a ton of great picks and mend that O-Line, but still, I'm glad they didn't take Bush.

Anyways - Leinart, where do people see him going. I could see him going to New Orleans - but didn't he say that he didn't want to play there or something, plus the Saints should be trading out of that Bush pick. Titans could easily take Young as much as they could take Leinart, I lot of Titans fans I know seem to have fallen smitten for Young - y'know, since the Rose Bowl.

Leinart was a cert for the number one pick last year, now he could find himself outside the top 5. The beauty of the draft I guess.