Smackdown! VS RAW 2007

Guest Anti-Hero

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the magic wand thing was mis-understood. Like previous games, there were storylines that involved your character teaming with a diva, and one match or so required you to play as that diva. I think its just that, and the line in the review was a joke.

I think the magic wand thing was mis-understood. Like previous games, there were storylines that involved your character teaming with a diva, and one match or so required you to play as that diva. I think its just that, and the line in the review was a joke.

Yes, except we have video footage of Kurt Angle being turned into a woman.

For what it's worth, the Undertaker urn-controlling thing at least had a semblance of reality in it, in that weird pro wrestling way--I could actually see WWE putting that sort of storyline on the air. This is just... bizarre. I don't hate it, but I have a feeling it's going to pull a lot of people out of suspension of disbelief while playing season mode.

I've been getting pumped for this to come out on the 360, but the fact I don't have X-Box Live and the idea you can trade CAWs online (I had forgotten) is going to probably sway my decision. Well, that and the fact I'd be the only one getting it for the 360 around here.

Can't say I'm THAT impressed so far. Controls are fiddly (360 version) and aren't intuitive, it makes the game damn awkward. Multi-man matches are awkward as fuck due to poor targeting controls and a lack of 'stiffness' for want of a better word in the anallogue sticks to move wrestlers. GM Mode is still as shite as last year, and the new ladder match system couldn't make less sense. Also some character models are bollocks (see Edge).

On the plus side, its not bad overall, there's a total shitload of detail in the game (like all the character bios, the ref showing the wrestlers the belts before title matches and other little touches), and some of the character models are fucking awesome (see Finlay, Lashley)

timmayy rave, would you mind telling me if the AI in tag matches has been improved any from last year's version (i.e. partners actually helping by breaking up pins and also stopping the opponent's partner from making the save, rather than standing around doing nothing)? And also whether people stay down long enough for top rope moves like the Frog Splash to actually hit, unlike 2006? I'm still on the fence about whether to buy it, especially given that the reviews from users have been pretty underwhelming so far, but those are the two big points for me.

I've not actually had a tag team match with just the CPU yet, the only one I had was with a mate, I'll reply with details as soon as I play one.

People now do stay down longer, making top rope moves useful again!

For some reason, you can't play as Finlay or Umaga in season mode, and it seems that everyone is automatically a face in season mode, which is both strange and weird.

Enjoyed the game a bit more this morning, though I still can't get the countering timing right. Umaga brings death, so thats good!

I'm also coming to the conclusion that most of the character models do rule, its just the Edge one, and partly the HBK one that are a bit shit.

So far, I'd say it may not be worth rushing out and buying full price unless your really sure, but it would be worth looking into later on (when it gets cheaper) or renting first.

I have he PS2 version, and your partner still stands around and does nothing in tag matches, and you have to call your partner in for help like 06. And yes wrestlers do stay down longer after finishing moves!

EDIT~ By the way,this years roster is just incredible :wub:

Edited by destroyed

People now do stay down longer, making top rope moves useful again!

For some reason, you can't play as Finlay or Umaga in season mode, and it seems that everyone is automatically a face in season mode, which is both strange and weird.

Yeah, the reaction time (people staying down longer) is better, particularly when falling off ladders.

You can't play as Khali either, I read somewhere someone suggested it's because they don't talk (not the reason for Finlay of course)? It would be quite strange seeing Umaga or Khali in the storylines I've had so far anyway, I won't spoil anything though.

I'm really enjoying the new additions, the Ultimate Control Moves, the crowd area and particularly the ladder match changes. Propping one ladder up against another, running up it and grabbing the briefcase is awesome. I like the soundtrack for the game, too (even though there's not many songs compared to other games). The new locker room is also cool, I especially like the banners you can get for some reason.

Alright, how does the new ladder match system work? I've read the manual, and the loading screen hints thing twice, and it still doesn't make a world of sense. I've lost both ladder matches I was in (a Money in the Bank and a tag team one).

Edited by timmayy rave

Alright, how does the new ladder match system work? I've read the manual, and the loading screen hints thing twice, and it still doesn't make a world of sense. I've lost both ladder matches I was in (a Money in the Bank and a tag team one).

I haven't got the hang of it properly yet either. It seems you push one or both sticks and then you have to keep them in a certain position (or "sweet spot" as the game calls it) until the case/title comes free. It comes up with a message in the HUD when you've got the sweet spot and the controller rumbles. Reaching with both hands drains the case/title bar quicker but your grip meter runs out quicker I think. I'll have to play a few more to get complete control of it, I haven't won one yet either. Nice addition, though, IMO as it's better than just being able to press a button and grab the case down.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I just got a voice message from Kennedy in season mode. He finished with 'MISTER KENNEDY' and then when I exited the message I had another one saying 'Ken-nah-dyyyyy!'. Brilliance. ^_^

EDIT 2: Anybody done a Parking Lot Brawl yet? If so have you...

spotted The Boogeyman? Car on the left side of the screen, after smashing your opponent into it, the boot opens and Boogeyman's inside, funny stuff.

Edited by Ocho Cinco

I need to stop quoting so much.

Can't say I'm THAT impressed so far. Controls are fiddly (360 version) and aren't intuitive, it makes the game damn awkward. Multi-man matches are awkward as fuck due to poor targeting controls and a lack of 'stiffness' for want of a better word in the anallogue sticks to move wrestlers. GM Mode is still as shite as last year, and the new ladder match system couldn't make less sense. Also some character models are bollocks (see Edge).

On the plus side, its not bad overall, there's a total shitload of detail in the game (like all the character bios, the ref showing the wrestlers the belts before title matches and other little touches), and some of the character models are fucking awesome (see Finlay, Lashley)

I thought the controls felt pretty natural once I got used to them. I agree that the targetting button is really awkward though, they really should swap that button with the stamina button, but eh. Using the right stick to go straight into moves makes things a lot smoother in my opinion, something I missed from the earlier games was transitioning from move to move seemlessly, without the whole "grab the guy first" part.

timmayy rave, would you mind telling me if the AI in tag matches has been improved any from last year's version (i.e. partners actually helping by breaking up pins and also stopping the opponent's partner from making the save, rather than standing around doing nothing)? And also whether people stay down long enough for top rope moves like the Frog Splash to actually hit, unlike 2006? I'm still on the fence about whether to buy it, especially given that the reviews from users have been pretty underwhelming so far, but those are the two big points for me.

Partners in tag matches seem to be pretty hit and miss. I've seen a lot of partners stand there when you make the pin and do nothing until the CPU breaks it up, but other times they run straight for the CPU. I think the trick is getting your partner to enter the ring a second or two before you make the pin, since the whole pinning part seems to make them freeze up. When I sent Mysterio after the illegal CPU guy, he ran up and knocked him down with a kick just as I made the pin and it worked.

Of course you shouldn't have to do that, but eh.

Enjoyed the game a bit more this morning, though I still can't get the countering timing right. Umaga brings death, so thats good!

I think I worked out the reversing system last night. It's not fool-proof, so bear with me >_>

When your opponent reverses your move and you get the close-up animation, wait till the screen goes back to normal and THEN press the right bumper asap. You can't do anything inside the animation and it seems if you press the button too soon, you sort of delay when you can use it again, if you get what I mean. Wait till the camera goes back to normal before pressing and it should reverse back to your control. Should. It works for me >_>

When your up the ladder, the left stick controls your left hand, and the right your right. If you can't reach the belt with one, try with another. When you've grabbed the belt a 'sweet spot' meter appears. If you used your right hand to grab it, you move the right stick around until the pad vibrates. Hold the stick in that position and it depletes the sweet spot meter, but it also depletes your stamina so you'll probably need to go up a few times. The sweet spot meter stays empty though so don't worry about having it refill again, but don't do what I did either. I was emptying the meter when my opponent got back to his feet and I thought I might be able to win before he manages to hit me/my stamina runs out. He gets up the ladder when theres just a TINY bit left, punches me off and steals the win >_<

EDIT 2: Anybody done a Parking Lot Brawl yet? If so have you...

spotted The Boogeyman? Car on the left side of the screen, after smashing your opponent into it, the boot opens and Boogeyman's inside, funny stuff.

Whip you opponent into the hearse when you've a full finisher and full momentum and you'll throw him into the casket getting an instant KO. Someone drives it away, but the Boogeyman is gone by then :(

Getting more used to it, and growing to really like it. Aspects annoy me, but otherwise, pretty solid stuff.

Who was the first person people played as? I went straight for the Boogeyman, followed by Umaga and Khali >_>

I was also Boogeyman and then Umaga (Y)

What about first in season mode? For me, Batista, and I'm still doing it.

First person I used was Finlay.

Cheers for the help guys, and Kaney - the same thing happened to me in a ladder match as well! I was just Nitro vs. Matt Hardy, nearly emptied the meter by myself, when Hardy climbs the ladder, shoves me off and steals the win! If it wasn't so comical, I'd have been angry.

And thanks again dudes.

Edited by timmayy rave