Summer Movies 2006

ROC

So, the summer has been dry. We have the underperforming Mission Impossible 3, the hated on by errbody Poseidon, and the hated-by-critics but somehow loved by audiences Da Vinci Code...and then there's the other movies. And X-Men 3...we won't talk about that...

I guess to make a point, do you think it gets better than the bad-looking movies we've had in the past month? Or should I desperately search for other things to do during the summer? Oh, and what's your thoughts on a lot of the movies out so far?

Just because you think it's a bad month doesn't mean everybody else will agree with you. :P

Anyways, I want to see X3 a lot as I think it looks pretty damn good considering it's a new director that nobody really had that much faith in. That and I want to see various movies like Cars, Click, Nacho Libre, Superman Returns, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, A Scanner Darkly and Clerks 2.

So I don't agree with that it'll be a bad summer by any means, especially if you like to watch movies to enjoy them and not be a pessimist about everything. :P

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratner is a perfectly capable director. Everybody is hating on him because he started out as a music video and comedy director, but it's not like the Rush Hour films aren't entertaining. Plus, he has shown his versatility when he did an excellent job with Red Dragon, and I expect X3 to be just as good as the first movie. I doubt it will be as good as X2, but that's arguably the best comic book movie ever made, so that's tough to top. The only reason I'm excited about Superman is because of Kevin Spacey.

Edited by Zero

I honestly think people just see Ratner as the popcorn antithesis to Singer's character-driven films. I can't see anything but good things for X3, though. All the lowering of anticipation can't help but make the movie solid.

It's the exact opposite effect for the Superman movie. It's all this anticipation for a movie looking a bit of the meh side. That can't be good. And as I mentioned, meh isn't exactly something you wanna think when you hear the words "a Bryan Singer film".

I predict it will get no better.

The only things I'm looking forward to are looking worse as time goes on....Miami Vice is getting shat on by test audiences and The Breakup has gone through an ending change(as well as getting rated PG-13).

Everything else can only entertain me in a "summer movie" way, and I doubt they will.

Guest Bluesman

Ratner is a perfectly capable director. Everybody is hating on him because he started out as a music video and comedy director, but it's not like the Rush Hour films aren't entertaining. Plus, he has shown his versatility when he did an excellent job with Red Dragon, and I expect X3 to be just as good as the first movie. I doubt it will be as good as X2, but that's arguably the best comic book movie ever made, so that's tough to top. The only reason I'm excited about Superman is because of Kevin Spacey.

Okay, so X3 IS the popcorn antithesis to the two others, but it stunned me for the fact that it didn't turn disaster-worthy. Sure, the finale is a bit of the cliche action heft, but it's hard to for me to even hate that part about it when Grammer's Beast is kicking ass. And I liked that it was kind of the X-Men version of Matrix Revolutions (for any of you who haven't read net spoilers, you'll see what I mean).

With all that said, I STILL wish it would tank, because while she was bearable enough in this, I don't like the push of Storm the series seems to be shoving into us and that doesn't make me looks forward to an X4.

Storm got pushed, what the hell? I saw it coming, i mean read the comics...

I want to say this, anyone who hasn't seen X-Men 3 and wants to complain and say 'it sucks' go see the movie first, as honestly it's the best movie in the series by far, the graphics are amazing, Kelsey as Beast is WELL worth the price of admission, not to mention the twists ,as well as the action itself. With graphics like The Matrix, great sound effects, acting, and overall a great presentation, you can sit and eat popcorn to it, and literally just get entranced in it and forget to chew.

9/10 on my scale, definately alot better than I expected. Then again, my scales a bit high in this case, I mean... Kelsey as Beast>*

Watch after the credits, and that will explain quite a bit.

As for if Storm were leader, honestly in the current X-Men 'movie' setting, who else is better set as a leader? Definately not Wolverine... I heard someone say 'Wolverine should be leader of the X-Men' and I found that laughable.

Hugh Jackman is a wonderful Wolverine, but Wolverine has never been exactly leader material.

X-3 doesn't look overly awful to me, I'll reserve judgment 'til I've seen it but meh, I tend to like superhero movies more than the average wanky, middle-class broadsheet reviewer anyway, as I actually have the ability to suspend my intellect for the purposes of 2 hours of fun escapism. Fucking Guardian.

Da Vinci Code is going to be awful. How could it not, given what it's based on?

As far as the summer is concerned, I'm looking forward to X-3, Clerks II, and Waiting, and also hoping that we hear some rumblings regarding the future of the Firefly/Serenity franchise over the coming months.

Also, one line that lights up my life every time I hear it.

"I want those motherfucking snakes off this motherfucking plane!"

X-3 doesn't look overly awful to me, I'll reserve judgment 'til I've seen it but meh, I tend to like superhero movies more than the average wanky, middle-class broadsheet reviewer anyway, as I actually have the ability to suspend my intellect for the purposes of 2 hours of fun escapism. Fucking Guardian.

Da Vinci Code is going to be awful. How could it not, given what it's based on?

As far as the summer is concerned, I'm looking forward to X-3, Clerks II, and Waiting, and also hoping that we hear some rumblings regarding the future of the Firefly/Serenity franchise over the coming months.

Also, one line that lights up my life every time I hear it.

"I want those motherfucking snakes off this motherfucking plane!"

Huh? Please explain.

The novel. Perhaps one of the greatest crimes against the written word ever conceived. It's really, really, really, really, really quite literally the drizzling shits.

And before you ask, yes I've read it. It's utterly awful. It'd be okay if it was a terrible premise but well-written, or vice versa. But it's not. It's an awful premise, and the writing reads like a tenth-grade term paper.

I'm pretty sure it being the best selling book I think ever since The Bible and one of the biggest worldwide B.O. earners ever released, shows that a lot of people disagree with your opinion.

I thought the movie was good and I liked the book. I thought Angels & Demons was better but it'd be hard to film a movie set almost entirely in The Vatican.

X-Men 3 was just ok. Kinda pissed me off how dumbed down it was, especially in they made Wolverine out to be this Unstoppable mutant who cuts his way through most of the Brotherhood in a few minutes and can regenerate almost the same instant he's injured where in the previous movies it at least took him a minute or so to heal. Rogue looks at least 10 years older then the girl playing Kitty Pryde which was disturbing since it was supposed to be a love triangle which really didn't go anywhere. Angel was in the movie a whole of 5 minutes which is bullshit since he was a big part of the Dark Phoenix storyline. Professor X was an asshole in the movie which really didn't make any sense. Storm was fucking annoying, she can summon a tornado in a heartbeat but the best she can do for the last battle is a few bolts of lightening.

Bah, the only thing I really liked in the movie was Jean Grey, thought she was the only really interesting character in the entire flick. Just a very cookie-cutter summer movie.

Edited by Pepsi

The novel. Perhaps one of the greatest crimes against the written word ever conceived. It's really, really, really, really, really quite literally the drizzling shits.

And before you ask, yes I've read it. It's utterly awful. It'd be okay if it was a terrible premise but well-written, or vice versa. But it's not. It's an awful premise, and the writing reads like a tenth-grade term paper.

Gotta agree with Pepsi that Angels And Demons is the better book. Also, some people like an easy to read book, and Dan Brown's books are easy to read. They are plotted and written for even the smallest mind to comprehend. This is not a bad thing, it makes it accessible to a much wider audience.

Guest Bluesman

X3 was fucking awful. Easily, very very very easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was that fucking bad. The dialogue sounded like it was written by a class of pre-schoolers, with a bunch of one-liners and gems like "Not everyone heals like you Wolverine". There was absolutely no depth to conversations, and shitty puns/one-liners were everywhere. It honestly felt like the script was written by children and for children, it was that bad.

There was so much in there that made no sense or served no purpose. Nothing about Professor X made sense or served a purpose, Angel did nothing in the film and could have been yanked out with no effect, etc. Jean Grey served absolutely no purpose. Her character made no sense and was horribly, horribly written. I still can't stop laughing how they arrive at the final scene for the battle and it's broad daylight, and the next scene it's pitch dark at night. What a fucking horrible film. There's other stuff about the story I'd go into, but I don't want to spoil anything and Pepsi already talked about these elements.

You almost have to try to make a movie this shitty.