Summer Movies 2006

ROC

So, the summer has been dry. We have the underperforming Mission Impossible 3, the hated on by errbody Poseidon, and the hated-by-critics but somehow loved by audiences Da Vinci Code...and then there's the other movies. And X-Men 3...we won't talk about that...

I guess to make a point, do you think it gets better than the bad-looking movies we've had in the past month? Or should I desperately search for other things to do during the summer? Oh, and what's your thoughts on a lot of the movies out so far?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DVC, See No Evil, X3, etc... I'm interested to see, I've only seen DVC so far. And I personally think it is being overly criticized for the subject matter. Ebert gave it a B+, which by the 10 point scale is 8/10. Haven't heard much on See No Evil, or X3 since it isn't out yet.

Hopefully this summer I can get to the theatre often. Over the Hedges and Cars look great.

See No Evil got the expected 0% from Rotten Tomatoes, so it's not hard to see what a film like it will be like. If you like campy horror, it'd probably fit in well for that scenario. Da Vinci is one I'm just uncertain about. I'll admit subject matter is one of the main criticisms, and I have heard convincing words that are pro-DVC, but it never was a book that struck me as a good book to begin with. I'll admit, I like that cast (Hanks, Howard, Tautou, et all. are all talented) but I still don't think the material will stack up.

Edited by just ROC...

I only go to the theatre like 2-4 times a year and only for a movie I really wanna see (of if im forced into going). And now the movie I really wanna see is X-Men 3. And then after that is probably going to be Harry Potter and Order of the Pheonix in late Fall.

So, the summer has been dry. We have the underperforming Mission Impossible 3, the hated on by errbody Poseidon, and the hated-by-critics but somehow loved by audiences Da Vinci Code...and then there's the other movies. And X-Men 3...we won't talk about that...

I guess to make a point, do you think it gets better than the bad-looking movies we've had in the past month? Or should I desperately search for other things to do during the summer? Oh, and what's your thoughts on a lot of the movies out so far?

especially if you like to watch movies to enjoy them and not be a pessimist about everything. :P

Which for some reason people try to do all the time. They rarely go to the movies to enjoy the movie, they got to critic every little thing.

Now, one movie I probably will see but am very skeptical about is Superman Returns. For the simply fact the casting of the Man of Steel almost looks like a emo kid dressed up. If I saw Superman walking down the street and he looked like that, I'd probably go up to him and smack him. Now with that said... Kevin Spacey may be the casting job of the year, and could totally save the movie.

I forgot all about PotC2, I didn't like the first that well. Wasn't that bad, but wasn't as good as people made it out to be. I was the same way with X1, but loved X2, so I'll definatly give the sequel to Pirates a shot in the theatres.

Clerks2, I'll see twice due to the marketing job of the century with audio commentary.

Click, seems interesting, but don't know if I'll go or not.

Nacho Libre, I doubt it highly until DVD.

I can officially recomend Waiting for anyone in the UK, that film didn't let me spend more than a minute without laughing aloud.

Waiting is the film with Ryan Reynolds right? If so, I was going to see it anyone for that reason alone :P

Also...why does TURKEY get Pirates of the Caribbean before anywhere else?

I can officially recomend Waiting for anyone in the UK, that film didn't let me spend more than a minute without laughing aloud.

Waiting is the film with Ryan Reynolds right? If so, I was going to see it anyone for that reason alone :P

Gwaha, exact same here. The film is basically all just a backdrop for his ability to serve excellent one liners in his guyish way, but it also adds a bit extra with every other character, there's only one unentertaining character in the film.

I saw Posideon and Da Vinchi Code yesterday and enjoyed both of them, Posideion more than DVC. I dont understand why people didn't like Posideion, as it had me on the edge of my seat nearly the entire time. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

The only film I've seen is DaVinci, and it was just ok, a bit on the dissapointing side. Furthermore my friends are telling me to see Over The Hedge but Dreamworks Animation don't have the best track record for CGI films(Shark Tale and Madagascar anyone?), it seems like they only try when they get to Shrek. X-Men 3, I'll see, but I'm going in with low expectations which is pretty sad since the first 2 were good to great superhero films. Superman Returns and Cars, these two films are the ones I'm waiting for, and can't wait to see them at the cinema. Other films I might end up seeing are Click, Dead Mans Chest, and Lady in The Water if reviews are great (or at least good).

Edited by Laice06

Gwaha, exact same here. The film is basically all just a backdrop for his ability to serve excellent one liners in his guyish way, but it also adds a bit extra with every other character, there's only one unentertaining character in the film.

Haha, i'm the same. Ryan Reynolds is the only reason I went anywhere near Just Friends when that came out, and for that same reason i'll be going to see Waiting over the Da Vinci Code tomorrow.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Haha, i'm the same. Ryan Reynolds is the only reason I went anywhere near Just Friends when that came out, and for that same reason i'll be going to see Waiting over the Da Vinci Code tomorrow.

Ryan Reynolds is beyond awesome. Two Guys and a Girl produced two of the funniest guys around (Reynolds and Nathan Fillion) and it didn't seem to be that popular. I'm so happy it's back on Trouble again now. Now, bring them out on DVD!