World Cup 2006

Dan

That was a good first game, looking forward to game #2. I think Ecuador could be a tougher out for Poland than we think. Something tells me Poland will only get a tie out of this :P

Against my better sense I'm going to stay up for the second game, even though the time difference is killing me. It'll be 7am before I get to bed.

Come on Ecuador, exploit Poland like the Nazis.

Playing FIFA 06 and watching the build up to this on ESPN has gotten me really excited for this year's World Cup. I've never been too into football before, but man, it was awesome seeing how rabid the German home crowd was today in their match vs. Costa Rica.

One observation from a novice fan is that Costa Rica looked very, very overmatched. Germany seemed to control the game from all aspects (from what I watched), save that first breakaway goal.

I'm really hoping the US can advance. Did I read right in that they were robbed in the 02 Cup?

MLS has seemed to catch on somewhat here in the States, if the US can fare well, I think it can push a little higher.

The word "tie" should never be used in football. Ever.

Why not? Ties (or draws) are part of the game. They happen. As fans, we can hope they don't happen, but we can't prevent'em. :ohwell:

Haha. So it seems the American "Anti-Draw" stereotype is true.

And yes, Misanthrope understood perfectly what I was saying.

EDIT ~ Kulex, the Poland game is on ITV

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Why not? Ties (or draws) are part of the game. They happen. As fans, we can hope they don't happen, but we can't prevent'em. :ohwell:

Haha. So it seems the American "Anti-Draw" stereotype is true.

And yes, Misanthrope understood perfectly what I was saying.

EDIT ~ Kulex, the Poland game is on ITV

And how is this a bad thing? I don't think I'm quite understanding...

There really isn't much to get. I made a passing comment about the use of the word "tie" as opposed to "draw"...

Oh, I see. My apologies :)

Is it just me, or did Costa Rica give Germany more trouble than we all expected?

I actually thought they'd give them more trouble than that. I don't rate Germany at all this year and I thought Costa Rica were a much better side than they showed today.

Clearly I was wrong. Looks like it'll be more than goal difference stopping them making the knockout stages this time round.

I bet you're kicking your own ass now.

Eh, I overrated Costa Rica. Germany are still shit.