World Cup 2006

Dan

We lost! Woo... oh wait, the guy scored an own goal, well there goes my fun huh?

Seriously though, a victory is good, but if we can't even score our own goals against fucking Paraguay, what chance do we stand?

Why are Paraguay shit?

In 2002 they got to the second round, only one less than us.

In 1998 they got to the second round, the same as us, and lost on golden goal to the eventual winners, France.

They also finished on the same points in qualifying as Ecuador, who many are now tipping to go through.

I wish I was from Trinidad or somewhere, at least they praise their side, instead of ripping them to shit when they win.

I agree with Dan's sentiments about our fans ripping the team to shreds whatever the weather, seemingly.

Sure, we do want to see the team run in 5 goals a game and play glorious football, but all that matters is the win. In 5 years time, it won't say in the record books "England 1-0 Paraguay, but England weren't very good", thats for sure.

Wilhelmson is a whiny bitch and my new arch nemesis. If his diving antics had cost T&T the game, I'd have found a way to hurt his feelings or somesuch.

What a game. The most excited I've been about a game of football not involving Australia or Sydney FC in my life. Edge of your seat stuff. Now to decide whether I wait until 6am for the kick-off of Argentina v Ivory Coast or not

Quote me on it then. If we win the World Cup it'll be entirely down to the players, not the managing. While I respect that he has taken England out a post-Keegan dark age, he's shown himself to be inept in major tournaments. We don't have the players to sit on a one goal lead, especially against good teams, like the France, Brazil and Portugal games.

Quote me on it then. If we win the World Cup it'll be entirely down to the players, not the managing. While I respect that he has taken England out a post-Keegan dark age, he's shown himself to be inept in major tournaments. We don't have the players to sit on a one goal lead, especially against good teams, like the France, Brazil and Portugal games.

You've ignored my examples.

We played Brazil, scored and sat back. We played France, scored and sat back. We played Portugal, scored, lost Rooney to injury, had no plan B and sat back. Noticing a pattern?

Hopefully, as he's leaving, he'll grow some balls and throw caution to wind but, due to his strong grounding in Italian football (which we all know is like watching paint dry), I doubt it.

That said, I agree the result is the most important thing, but killing games is vital and is a skill we don't have. Being seemingly unable to score in second halves is cack as well.

You've ignored my examples.

We played Brazil, scored and sat back. We played France, scored and sat back. We played Portugal, scored, lost Rooney to injury, had no plan B and sat back. Noticing a pattern?

Hopefully, as he's leaving, he'll grow some balls and throw caution to wind but, due to his strong grounding in Italian football (which we all know is like watching paint dry), I doubt it.

That said, I agree the result is the most important thing, but killing games is vital and is a skill we don't have. Being seemingly unable to score in second halves is cack as well.

I agree that England can't kill off games and take them by the scruff of the neck and put teams to the sword...but we've never really had that ability, arguably.

Argentina and Ivory Coast - two 'background music' anthems that go on far too long.

The best anthems are short and snappy or actually have more powerful tunes.

Well I have this down as a 1-1 draw. If we could predict cards I would suggest at least two reds and at least half a dozen ridiculous dives.

This match should be good, Ivory Coast are looking more than competent at the moment.

I'm sure you'll come back here and say that when we win the world cup.

Don't be silly. EWB won't still be running in 2048, surely.

Edited by Hipster Doofus