World Cup 2006

Dan

66 mins: GOAL Costa Rica 1-2 Poland

Boratosz Bosacki heads home for his second goal of the game. Jacek Krzynowek is the clear creator after winning a corner following a blistering piledriver at Jose Porras. Krzynowek then curls in a tidy corner which Bosacki neatly heads home... thanks in part to Paulo Wanchope's seeming refusal to do any defending.

For anyone who can’t see the game, BBC.co.uk (in the world cup section) always have a page dedicated to each game which will update every 2 minutes with latest happenings. There’s also my personal favourite way of keeping up to date: score.planetfootball.com. It’s like what you’d find on Soccer Saturday, minus Jeff Stelling. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, dirty pooly fan >_>

Ok so the Germany win means that we have to at least draw against Sweden to ensure we dont send us home early with an inevitable loss to Germany. Boy i have a bad feeling about this one.

And to all the people who claim that England are going to play attackively look no further than Sven's super idea of the Diamond midfield tactic where he sits a midfielder right infront of the defense. What makes it worse is that ive heard they are playing Lampard in the Defensive midfield position, meaning Hargreves would be playing the link to Rooney. God i hope that was only a rumour.

Guest muddatrucker

Ok so the Germany win means that we have to at least draw against Sweden to ensure we dont send us home early with an inevitable loss to Germany. Boy i have a bad feeling about this one.

And to all the people who claim that England are going to play attackively look no further than Sven's super idea of the Diamond midfield tactic where he sits a midfielder right infront of the defense. What makes it worse is that ive heard they are playing Lampard in the Defensive midfield position, meaning Hargreves would be playing the link to Rooney. God i hope that was only a rumour.

Inevitable loss to Germany? bollocks, anyone would think they've played amazingly good football so far, they haven't, if we wanna win the world cup we can't hope to avoid the 'big' teams and right now I wouldn't say Germany were that good of a team.

Lampard in defensive mid? I think someone got the wrong end of the stick, plus having a DM infront of the defence hardly means the game can't be attacking, there are plenty of formations that are attacking but include a DM behind the actual midfield.

Inevitable loss to Germany? bollocks, anyone would think they've played amazingly good football so far, they haven't, if we wanna win the world cup we can't hope to avoid the 'big' teams and right now I wouldn't say Germany were that good of a team.

Lampard in defensive mid? I think someone got the wrong end of the stick, plus having a DM infront of the defence hardly means the game can't be attacking, there are plenty of formations that are attacking but include a DM behind the actual midfield.

Sure Germany isnt a definite superpower yet but their performance has been miles ahead of England's. I'll admit their defence has been a bit shabby in the first couple of games, but seeing as we've been saved from amature mistakes by either Robinson or a great clearence from Terry proves that when we step up to face a bigger and better team, the defence needs to step up aswell. Not to mention the potential crowd support that germany have which usually gives a boost to any team.

No, they haven't been miles ahead of our performances. Costa Rica exposed them as weak at the back, and they only won by their attack getting itself into gear. Poland pushed them until they went down to 10 men, and they still needed a 90th minute goal to win...and they beat an Ecuador team playing for second place.

And we've made one major mistake (which saw the Terry clearance) and our defence isn't good in your eyes? Firstly, surely Terry clearing it showed that at least he is playing pretty well...and secondly, that was the only BIG scare of the first two games, otherwise the defense has been solid.

Sure Germany isnt a definite superpower yet but their performance has been miles ahead of England's. I'll admit their defence has been a bit shabby in the first couple of games, but seeing as we've been saved from amature mistakes by either Robinson or a great clearence from Terry proves that when we step up to face a bigger and better team, the defence needs to step up aswell. Not to mention the potential crowd support that germany have which usually gives a boost to any team.

We also beat Argentina, who are now generally seen as the team to avoid.

Germany also scraped through to the final despite being shit in almost every round. Greece won Euro 2004 thanks to their defence, not to mention the fact that (I know it's a cliche) the sign of a good team is winning when you're playing badly. I'd much rather scrape victories than play awesome football but get mullered.

Look at Brazil, they've been pants but would you suggest they're not one of the favourites?