World Cup 2006

Dan

I've got to come to the defense of Miguel. From my viewpoint, and I rewound it a few times to see if he infact dove, it looked like just as he got rid of the ball his left leg planted in the ground and he kept going forward. Looked to me as if he tweaked his knee then, so I've got to say I don't think he purposely dove, many other Portuguese players did throughout the game, but for me it looked like him falling was as a result of the tweak.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

And of course honor...

I think you mean honour.

I think he is from a country that drops the "u".....'tard :angry:

I've got to come to the defense of Miguel. From my viewpoint, and I rewound it a few times to see if he infact dove, it looked like just as he got rid of the ball his left leg planted in the ground and he kept going forward. Looked to me as if he tweaked his knee then, so I've got to say I don't think he purposely dove, many other Portuguese players did throughout the game, but for me it looked like him falling was as a result of the tweak.

My main beef with that was the fact that Pauleta ran straight to the referee demanding a free kick, despite it being blatantly obvious he'd fallen over.

The thing I hate most about Portugal's play isn't the diving. It is when they trip or are bumped down by mistake or even when they do get fouled. There is always 2 or 3 Portuguese players running to the referee to complain, and even when they trip themselves up they look right back at the referee.

Fifa will revise ranking system

Fifa has announced an overhaul of its world ranking system after complaints that it was too complicated.

The main change is that a national team's ranking will be based on results from the last four years, not eight.

Goals scored and home advantage will no longer have any bearing on placings and other aspects, including importance and strength of matches, have been revised.

The changes will come into effect after the World Cup ends on Sunday, with the first new rankings revealed on 12 July.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said: "I am convinced that our experts have come up with a satisfactory solution for a new way of calculating the ranking.

"We have acknowledged the need for a substantial revision. We are aware that it is difficult to meet everybody's expectations but are confident that the new system will provide an accurate measure of the strength of each of our member associations."

Great, hopefully we get some realistic positioning of teams now.

Oh, and BBC has a Goal of the Tournament competition up on their website here (the link is below the black bar). I'll have to go with Maxi Rodriguez's for #1. What it meant as well as the skill it took to control the ball with his chest, turn and volley the ball without looking at the goal was magnificent. Joe Cole's against Sweden and Fernando Torres' against Ukraine come second and third, respectively, for me.

Edited by alldawson