World Cup 2006

Dan

How did Zidane get the Golden Boot? In the Group Stage, he was average, some would say he even sucked. His only really good match was against Brazil, but he did nothing against Portugal besides the penalty, same goes for yesterday against Italy and he fucking headbutted a guy. IMO it should have been Cannavaro or Pirlo.

How did Zidane get the Golden Boot? In the Group Stage, he was average, some would say he even sucked. His only really good match was against Brazil, but he did nothing against Portugal besides the penalty, same goes for yesterday against Italy and he fucking headbutted a guy. IMO it should have been Cannavaro or Pirlo.

To be honest, in a World Cup were a lot of players failed to turn up it seemed, taking one or two games by the scruff of the nexk was all it took, I guess.

Glad he did go down if that's what it takes to make the official actually realise that Zidane has no right doing what he did. If it was someone like Gattuso who did it, we'd be seeing 'OMG THE BASTARD SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THE NEXT FIFTY MATCHES THAT DIRTY CHEATING CUNT'. Fuck Zidane, he ruined his final game by being an utter twat.

Apparently the new theory is that Materazzi said something about Zidane's mother. My mate told me that someone on another board reckons after pinching his nipple Materazzi said words to the effect of 'your mother likes it like that'.

In other news about it:

The father of Marco Materazzi believed his son was the real victim in the incident.

"I spoke to my son briefly after the game," said Giuseppe Materazzi.

"Marco had told me he had been provoked. It's as though they have something against him each time.

"In the past two years, Marco has only been on the receiving end and the injuries he has sustained are proof of this.

"I don't want to be controversial, but there are things that have to be said instead of just pointing the finger and putting a black mark against someone."

Guest muddatrucker

I like a person who can take a mum joke without taking real offense but when its a stranger and they're doing it for a reaction, a reaction they deserve.

At the end of the day if there wasn't a retaliation from Zidane, the comment would of gone unpunished and he took the law into his own hands, thats fair enough by me, honour is a brilliant trait.

Glad he did go down if that's what it takes to make the official actually realise that Zidane has no right doing what he did. If it was someone like Gattuso who did it, we'd be seeing 'OMG THE BASTARD SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THE NEXT FIFTY MATCHES THAT DIRTY CHEATING CUNT'. Fuck Zidane, he ruined his final game by being an utter twat.

I like Gattuso, he and Cannavaro are the only Italian players I actually like. Whoever did it would have made me laugh - its not cheating, its a hilarious headbutt. Even if an Italian player had done it, it would have still made my tournament. Just a shame that's Zidane's last action as a pro.

Yeah, I love Gattuso and would have laughed loads if he had done it to a French player.

Whilst you can't condone a headbutt, if Materazzi was racist or whatever, then you can't condone that. Dukes stated thgat Zidane would have got arrested in a non-football situation for what he did....true, but Materazzi could have been if he was racist off the football pitch, but chances are he wouldn't get reported, just a punch in the face for his troubles.

I condone a heatbutt, like I'd condone Cantona's kung-fu kick or the Bowyer/Dyer ruck. It's fucking hilarious and a refreshing break from players simulating injury, as Materazzi was probably in some pain.

Honestly, how often do you see something like that? Better yet from arguably the best player of all time, in a World Cup final?

The funny thing is, Materazzi STILL dove like a bitch, as if he'd been hit by a cannonball (when it was just a headbutt).

I condone Zidane, for standing up for himself. Apparently he's had that kind of abuse his entire career. Personally, I would have waited until the end, THEN fucked Materazzi up. But in the end, it didn't matter, as penalties are like a coin toss.

Zidane definitely won't be remembered as the villain.

And I don't find it disgusting, because it's not like he was cheating. He owned someone, and was willing to be sent off for it. It was a good deal for Italy to be honest. It wasn't even a cynical foul, he hit him in the chest. He could have easily went for the face, ankles, knees, balls, whatever, which could have forced Materazzi to come off. And I'm Scottish, so headbutting's cool.

Edited by The Kraig

As much as I hate to admit it, Buffon deserved that Golden Ball way more than Zidane did; Buffon kept them in every game in tournament play, plus pitched two shutouts in group play (that would have easily been three had they not had the own goal against the US).

I couldn't give a fuck what Materazzi said to him Zidane shouldn't have nutted to him. You get wound up in football matches all the time and sometimes people go to far but they do it so you'll react like that and get sent off, its no good what you say to ref he's not gonna send the other bloke off for calling you names. I wouldn't of reacted like that in a sunday league game so someone with Zidanes experience should of known better than to do it on the greatest stage of all. He should of just laughed at him and took the piss, asked him what his name was again and whether people will be talking about him in another ten years the way they talk about Zidane. And if it really was that bad and he couldn't let it go, do him after the game! Who knows, if he'd of stayed on and France had of won he could of rubbed it all in his face and gone out how every footballer would of dreamed, last ever match, winning in the world cup final and lifting it for your country as captain.

Players have had worse abuse than that and not reacted, I remember when Viera had to put up with being called "a fucking monkey" all game by Mhialovic (sp) when Arsenal played Lazio and you didn't see him dropping the nut.

I don't think Materazzi dived either, that would of proper hurt, right in his chest like that, anyone would of gone down. Yeah he milked it a bit on the ground but it would have definitely dropped him the way it did and if he’d of landed that on his jaw he would of probably broke it.

Another thing that pisses me off like someone else said, is that cuz its Zidane everyones sort of excusing it a bit and its not like him. So fuckin what! He still did it in the greatest sceptical of all. Loads of little kids would of seen that as well. What Beckham did to Simeone was no where near as bad as that and the amount of abuse he got for it years after was a complete joke and now I hear Zidane was still cheered when they arrived back in France? Fair enough he's a world class player but if I was French I'd be screwing at Zidane for doing that.

Little Fun Though :D

Edited by WS1

Another thing that pisses me off like someone else said, is that cuz its Zidane everyones sort of excusing it a bit and its not like him. So fuckin what! He still did it in the greatest sceptical of all. Loads of little kids would of seen that as well. What Beckham did to Simeone was no where near as bad as that and the amount of abuse he got for it years after was a complete joke and now I hear Zidane was still cheered when they arrived back in France? Fair enough he's a world class player but if I was French I'd be screwing at Zidane for doing that.

To be honest, Zidane getting sent off didn't affect the match outside of them not having another penalty taker, thus why arguably it didn't cost them the match like some people have put it. Beckham got a lot of abuse because we live in England, basically. And frankly, a lot of people see it as some form of poetical justice that Zidane headbutted a) an Italian footballer, with Italy pretty much the epitome of cheating, diving, cynical play, which generally undermines their at times excellent football, and b) Materazzi, who is possibly the worst of them all, and is well known for his cynical and dangerous play....hell, he got 3 red cards in one season when he played Premiership football, that says something.

Oh, and the amount of people calling anyone who doesn't like that the Italians won the football on 606 racist is pretty funny.

Edited by liamwannabe