Jersey Girl

probablyoliver

So Jersey Girl is on tonight, and I'm of two minds whether or not to watch it. On the one hand I'm a hyoooge fan of Kevin Smith, I've seen all Viewaskewniverse (except Jay & Bob Strike Back, which has eluded me in DVD shops for years!), and I've even got the Evening with Kevin Smith DVD and Chasing Dogma comics, he's pretty much a hero to me, and I want to see Jersey Girl because it's Smith. On the other hand, I don't want to be disapointed and realise that Kevin Smith is a fraudster or anything like that, because right now I see him as a God, and the film didn't get too good press.

Should I watch? Will I like it / hate it? Will it destroy the God-like, midas touch image of Kevin Smith I've got or not?

It's not an Askewniverse film, and you can tell that pretty early on. What it is, however, is a really charming family comedy that has as much sharp humour as it does sentimentality. Critics weren't ready to see Kevin Smith doing PG-13 + Bennifer = Bad Reviews. IMO it's not Smith's worst film (I hold it in higher regard than Mallrats), and if you're not looking for the same sort of grossout stoner humour, you'll probably enjoy it.

I liked it, it was cute and fun. Oh my God, the guy made a movie that wasn't full of dick and fart jokes, my world will collapse. No different than Robert Rodriguez occasionally doing a family flick after a bloodbath.

I liked it, it was cute and fun. Oh my God, the guy made a movie that wasn't full of dick and fart jokes, my world will collapse. No different than Robert Rodriguez occasionally doing a family flick after a bloodbath.

It's the most "by-the-book" story you can get. It actually has more humor than you would think, some of which is (oddly)questionable for children. It has pretty good acting given the generic story it has to tell.

The thing that sticks out in my mind about the movie is the little girl. She's does the best job out of anyone. I hate child actors and I hope they all die a horrible death. I wish she would do another movie, so I could see if she is "for real".

Everyone has an opinion about this movie. I think you should see it to form yours.

It's the most "by-the-book" story you can get. It actually has more humor than you would think, some of which is (oddly)questionable for children. It has pretty good acting given the generic story it has to tell.

The thing that sticks out in my mind about the movie is the little girl. She's does the best job out of anyone. I hate child actors and I hope they all die a horrible death. I wish she would do another movie, so I could see if she is "for real".

Everyone has an opinion about this movie. I think you should see it to form yours.

Yeah, she was very good. Probably my favorite performance of the film, though I was amused by George Carlin also.

Being a big Kevin Smith fan I might be biased, but I thought it was a hugely watchable film, which he clearly cared about a great deal. Wasn't it his fear of losing his wife in childbirth?

Its not Clerks, Chasing Amy or Dogma, but it flows nicely, has some humourous moments and that one really big dramatic moment with Affleck.

I do like your point with that sentiment, because I do love the flicks of Danny Boyle (who followed up a drug movie like Trainspotting and a zombie movie like 28 Days Later with a great coming-of-age flick like Millions), but I do think Rodriguez isn't the best example for the point. Spy Kids was successful and all, but I never really thought of it as good.

I've never seen Spy Kids or Sharkboy & Lava Girl, I was just using it as an example to show that a director can do something insanely safe or mainstream but still maintain his edge. Not every Rodriguez movie has to be tits, guns, and blood and not every Kevin Smith movie has to be drugs, cocks, and a monkey.

So I watched and had pretty low expectations, and I thought it was brilliant! A lot better than I orignally expected, I've always had a soft spot for cutsie-kitsch family films and romcoms, so it was right up my street. Basic story that was easy to follow, good set of characters and some great gags. Awesome cameos from Jason Lee and Matt Damon, and Will Smith was the balls. Very glad I watched it, might even pick up the DVD next time I'm in town. 7/10.