New PARIS HILTON single to debut in Billboard top 10

Bob Roberts

PARIS SCORES (AGAIN)

June 21, 2006 -- Paris Hilton - heiress, actress and now songstress - is turning out to be a dominatrix of all media on the strength of her single "Stars Are Blind," which was officially released yesterday. Industry speculation is high that the song will debut on Billboard Hot 100 list in the Top 10 tomorrow.

"Stars" is in rotation at more than 50 stations across America and is the No.1 requested song in New York on Z-100.

Romeo, Z-100 music director and on-air personality who did a live interview with Hilton last week, calls her "a smart, sweetheart of a girl," adding, "Her timing is perfect, she has the sound of the summer: pure pop with a reggae beat.

"We knew it was going to polarize our audience," Romeo says. "We were right, last week half of the calls said they hated the song, but it was still among the top five requested songs. This week it's our No.1 requested song."

The four-minute track is also a hit on the Internet. On MTV.com's "Hot 5 on Overdrive," the video earned the program its all-time best performance on a single day.

"Stars Are Blind" is the first single from Hilton's self-titled debut album, set for release Aug. 1. The record, which also will feature a cover of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," is under the direction of veteran hip-hop hitmaker Scott Storch.

Guest Small Red

For all the shit you give her, it's not actually that bad of a song. Loads of other shit songs have done well, but since due to her celebrity status, she gets shit upon.

I'm downloading the single (i've never seen so many remixes of one song on a single CD in my entire life, straight up). I'll hold judgement until I hear it. Because summer pop music is usually so cheesy it's awesome.

LFO anyone?

I dreaded the thought of her making music, and personally can't stand her much, but the song is actually pretty catchy. It's fine for what it is. I doubt she or anyone involved were going for an "instant classic" or anything. The song is a nice reggae influenced piece of fluff.

I think you are overreacting. The song isn't that bad. In fact, it is actually good for what it is.

Besides, there are always going to be bad songs/bands/CD's out there that make it big. Just the way the world works; not everything can be critically acclaimed or a classic.

Why waste time bitching about what other people choose to do with their money? I will say this: mainstream music is A LOT better than a few years ago, so no, I won't say this is the worst period for music. I also think that history has been kind to many other periods which were, by all accounts of the times, awful. It doesn't help that people are so damn critical and elitist these days. If it's not on Pitchfork it must be bad, right?

the only reason its in the top 10 is because the media is shoving this crap down our throats.

they always want what they want to be popular to be popular, so they make it so they talk about them.

look at American Idol. that Taylor Hicks guy won. why? not because he was a good singer, but because HE was getting media attention. more than any other person in the "contest". they wanted him to win, so they shove him down our throats, to get us to vote for him.

Or the fact that he had, y'know, vocal ability. I'll admit, Chris probably should've won, but Taylor did damn fine...then again, that's another argument for another topic.

As annoying as Hilton is, it's a ridiculous statement to say pop music is at its worst right now. Looking through the Top 10 Billboard songs, I can at least find a few that I actually like, and this year also was financially kind to albums like Tool and Pearl Jam's, which both owned. 2006 is hardly the best year for pop, but it isn't bad so far.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget how much Gnarls Barkley owns and yet how much mainstream success they've had as of late.

Edited by just ROC...