So my PS2 is busted...

apsham

1) How much are the slimline ones?

2) What are the pros of slimline over normal?

3) What are the cons of slimline over normal?

4) Anything else I should know...

1. $130, as stated previously. There are also some rare bundles out there that feature (I believe) the newest ATV Offroad Fury and another game for the same price. They were released around Christmas, but Sony kept production up on them longer than expected, hence a slight overflow.

2. The slim PSTwos (slim = PSTwo, original = PS2 to avoid confusion) can play burned DVDs, take up much less space, run much more quietly and feature a flip-top. That last feature prevents the tray from dislodging as has happened in XBoxes and PS2s. USB ports return, and there is an ethernet port and phone jack smack on the back of the system. Online firmware was also updated right out of the box, allowing for easier compatibility wih newer routers and such (if you buy a new system, it will come with the latest drivers on a seperate disc.)

3. It will not work with the PS2 Hard Drive, due to not having the Expansion Bay on the back. Some fruitful gamers have, however, managed to use USB-based Hard Drives on the PSTwos. It's hit-and-miss as to which ones require modding (most do, some select few don't) so do some research if you opt to go in that direction.

4. In terms of dependability, the PSTwo is king. I've had mine since the model first launched and have experienced no problems despite a lack of tidiness. If you have about $200 to spare, go pick up a PSTwo, one of the Logitech Wireless Controllers, and God of War or Gran Turismo 4. Good times ahead.

Isn't there a Sony customer service number you can call where they'll send over a courier with a new PS2 provided that you give them your busted one, the power cable and the original control pad, oh and a small fee?

That's what I did. They might give you a slim one.

Edited by kulex

1) How much are the slimline ones?

$129.99 Canadian.

2) What are the pros of slimline over normal?

- Smaller, takes up less space.

- Built in network adaptor

- Newer disc reading technology that prevents DVD wear and tear on the laser

3) What are the cons of slimline over normal?

- Don't know any really

4) Anything else I should know...

I'm tempted to replace my old gen PS2 with this one due to my laser no longer reading DVD's.