Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

ROC

Just got back from seeing this -- fucking amazing film. Perfect balance between the comedy and drama, awesome villains, great acting, gripping storyline...this is, hands down, my movie of the year thus far. I totally plan on seeing it again -- there was nothing bad about this movie. Nothing. I hope Disney makes a billion dollars on this flick. They deserve every penny.

Glad to see someone agrees. I love watching this movie kick ass at the box office because it is just an amazing movie and make for an amazing second part in an amazing franchise. I absolutely loved this movie, and for those who said it lacked the charm of the first, it had to. Much like the first Star Wars, it was introductory and could have ended there. But once we knew this would be part two of a three part trilogy, it had to be darker and as a result, far less charming. At the end of the day, the Matrix couldn't do it, the new Star Wars movies couldn't do it, but Pirates of the Caribbean is our new Star Wars. It's a trilogy of films that will appeal to absolutely everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, etc. They're feel good, fun movies. Lord of the Rings did it, but it was an adapted work that doesn't have the re-watchability (new word!) to a broad audience that Pirates does.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the awesomest movie I've seen in years. It was so much better than the first flick, and yet I thought it was going to be horrible. I thought it would be kiddified, but it delivered every step of the way. Drama, action, comedy, everything.

Anyone else say the 3-way sword fight between Jack, Will, and the Commadore was the best in years? Seriously, I wonder how much training it actually took, and how much they actually used stuntmen. The special effects of the rolling wheel were nice, and it was really amazing, perfect blend, even added comedy in mid-fight with it going, as they just watched it in shock.

I just saw it today and loved. Loved the action scenes, the acting, the pacing, the character development, the landscape, how they tied in just about every character fromt he first movie, the dialogue, the ending, everything. It was just awesome. I'm going to speak from the gut here--but anyone who doesn't think this film is great is a pedophile. And if you still disagree, you better go see it again and reevaluate your opinion... you sick bastard.

Maybe I need to see it again? I enjoyed it enough, but thought it was a little bloated for my liking. Maybe I was just distracted by my company at the cinema, I don't know.

Methinks I'll see it again.

I came to the conclussion that the The Curse of the Black Pearl is funnier, but Dead Man's Chest is a better all round film, and just blows every other film that's come out in years out of the water (bar Serenity :P, but that's besides the point).

He was...but she brought him back obviously. This is a film that involves squid-men, hammer-head people and undead monkey's and you're worrying about Barbossa being back?

:P

Edited by TMM

I fucking loved it, I will definately see it again. For me the films have been perfect so far - Action, plot, comedy, drama and quite frankly Johnny Depp, Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom are farking hot.

Saw it yesterday, I don't get the ending.

I thought Barbossa was dead?

Yeah, that's the one thing I couldn't figure out. Unless he was only shot and was found by someone (possibly the voodoo lady) before he died, and nursed back to health. I thought that, possibly, the monkey could have given him his coin, so that Barbosa would then be undead and the monkey wouldn't, but he took a bite out of an apple, so that's that theory gone. I guess we'll have to wait for the next film...

We're not supposed to know yet. It's a cliffhanger.

By the way, speaking of things we didn't understand, I didn't catch what was probably one of the major plot points.

Okay, Will wants the heart so he can kill Davey Jones. That makes sense to me.

Jack wants the heart so he can bargain his life back, right? He has that debt to pay, so he is going to offer it to Davey Jones or threaten him with it? I'm not quite sure.

Davey Jones wants it.... or doesn't want it... because why? If he wants it, I can understand why Jack would want to bragin him with it (and it also makes sense why Jack would keep it in the dirt. Jones can't get to it himself because he can't go on land, and as long as it stays on dirt, he can't get to it). But what's the benefit for Jones? I know it's good to have a heart, but he's obviously doing pretty well without it. I zoned out when they were initially talking about it, so I don't know if they discussed it in the movie.

And finally, why would Beckett be so pleased that Norrington brought him a heart? On Wikipedia it says that it's a more powerful item than the compass, but why?

Maybe this is all stuff that will be answered later, but I totally zoned out on a few important parts so I think I missed a little.

Davey doesn't really want it, but once he loses the key, he wants to get hold of the heart simply to stop the others getting it. Jack wants it, as you said, to bargain with. If he can kill Davey Jones, Davey could well lift the curse on Jack.

And Beckett wanted the heart because, with it, he could effectively command Davey Jones to do his bidding, and as such control the seas, and eliminate piracy once and for all.

I came to the conclussion that the The Curse of the Black Pearl is funnier, but Dead Man's Chest is a better all round film, and just blows every other film that's come out in years out of the water (bar Serenity :P, but that's besides the point).

Conversely I think Curse of the Black Pearl was just about better in every way just because it was a great film from start to finish. The first half of Dead Man's Chest is very much like "hey, check it out, we wrote a sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean! Woohoo!" And then it gets awesome from the moment they get to Tortuga onwards. Like, the film could have done with way less cutesy references to the first one.

Not getting into the notion that it's one of the best films to come out in years because that's entirely a matter of what genre of film you prefer, but I certainly disagree with that as well.

We're not supposed to know yet. It's a cliffhanger.

By the way, speaking of things we didn't understand, I didn't catch what was probably one of the major plot points.

Okay, Will wants the heart so he can kill Davey Jones. That makes sense to me.

Jack wants the heart so he can bargain his life back, right? He has that debt to pay, so he is going to offer it to Davey Jones or threaten him with it? I'm not quite sure.

Davey Jones wants it.... or doesn't want it... because why? If he wants it, I can understand why Jack would want to bragin him with it (and it also makes sense why Jack would keep it in the dirt. Jones can't get to it himself because he can't go on land, and as long as it stays on dirt, he can't get to it). But what's the benefit for Jones? I know it's good to have a heart, but he's obviously doing pretty well without it. I zoned out when they were initially talking about it, so I don't know if they discussed it in the movie.

And finally, why would Beckett be so pleased that Norrington brought him a heart? On Wikipedia it says that it's a more powerful item than the compass, but why?

Maybe this is all stuff that will be answered later, but I totally zoned out on a few important parts so I think I missed a little.

And my spoiler tag went fucked.

But he needs Davey to call off the monster thing. And if he is killed, then the monster cannot be called off by him.....I think. I'm sure this was actually brought up in the film.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

First, to the people asking how Barbossa could be alive... you're watching a movie franchise about undead pirates, cursed gold, squid faced men with their fishy crews, and a giant Krakken and yet someone coming back from the dead doesn't seem logical?

Second, Jack doesn't want Jones killed... yet. He still has the mark of the Krakken on his palm, if Davy Jones is dead, then he can't call it off, and with the heart in Beckett's control, he controls the sea. I highly doubt Beckett or Norrington care if Jack Sparrow lives or dies, in fact, they prefer him dead.

Edited by Zero

I can honestly say after seeing it last night that I enjoyed this second part much more thoroughly than the first. I enjoyed the first, but definitely not as much as this one. Johnny Depp has created an amazing character that makes you hate him, but LOVE to hate him AND HATE to love him.

I, also, can't say that this movie kicked ass without mentioning what was one of, if not, the greatest sword fights of all time.

What an excellent film.

First, to the people asking how Barbossa could be alive... you're watching a movie franchise about undead pirates, cursed gold, squid faced men with their fishy crews, and a giant Krakken and yet someone coming back from the dead doesn't seem logical?

Second, Jack doesn't want Jones killed... yet. He still has the mark of the Krakken on his palm, if Davy Jones is dead, then he can't call it off, and with the heart in Beckett's control, he controls the sea. I highly doubt Beckett or Norrington care if Jack Sparrow lives or dies, in fact, they prefer him dead.

I tried to say that, but my spoiler tags fucked up and I just gave and waited until someone else said it...so I could steal all their glory... :shifty:

Conversely I think Curse of the Black Pearl was just about better in every way just because it was a great film from start to finish. The first half of Dead Man's Chest is very much like "hey, check it out, we wrote a sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean! Woohoo!" And then it gets awesome from the moment they get to Tortuga onwards. Like, the film could have done with way less cutesy references to the first one.