The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Alright DC Comics fans; I need your help. Aside from Batman I've never had any interest in DC's heroes at all. Not entirely sure why but they've just never really tickled my fancy. Anyways I've recently been poking around with the idea of giving a few of their characters a fair shake.

I'm interested in trying to get some trade paperbacks for Superman and Green Lantern (any of the incarnations and anything Green Lantern Corps related). I've already put Superman: Birthright on my list so scratch that one. Looking for more modern stuff if it's possible but I'll try anything if the story is good.

Well I think the two biggest recent stories in GL are first, Rebirth, which you might want to brush up on a little bit of stuff before reading it through wikipedia or something (Like Hal Jordan being the Spectre, etc.)

and quite possibly the best DC story in the last year, the whole of the Sinestro Corps War. Which is the most recent story.

Thanks Media. Sinestro Corps War isn't out in trades yet (January 9, 2009) so that one may have to wait. Rebirth is available, and for a good price too. Do the Green Lanterns still have that stupid weakness towards the color yellow?

Thanks Media. Sinestro Corps War isn't out in trades yet (January 9, 2009) so that one may have to wait. Rebirth is available, and for a good price too. Do the Green Lanterns still have that stupid weakness towards the color yellow?

No. The history's sort of jumbled in my head right now so I can't remember if they had it in Rebirth, but I don't believe they do, and I believe it's explained why during the story.

Can anyone suggest some Deadpool comics for me? I just recently found out about this hilarious title and wish to delve into it

If they collected them in Trades, I highly recommend his monthly series from back in the 90s. There were two limited series' before it, which are good, but his monthly is the one that really shows you the best of Deadpool.

What have you been reading?

A quick check of Amazon shows me that if they've given Deadpool's series the TPB treatment, that you'd have to head down to a local shop and get them to bring it in for you.

There's a Deadpool Classic vol 1 available on Amazon, which collects his first appearance in New Mutants and his two limited series', for sure... there might be something else in there, but I forget now.

There's also the first volumes of Cable and Deadpool for mucho Deadpool hilarity. Volume 3 (The Human Race) is particularly hilarious and doesn't require any real back-reading.

I also point to volumes 2 and 6 as being particularly good.

There's also the first volumes of Cable and Deadpool for mucho Deadpool hilarity. Volume 3 (The Human Race) is particularly hilarious and doesn't require any real back-reading.

I also point to volumes 2 and 6 as being particularly good.

Yeah, volume 3 is ridiculouslyfunny, and a good story toboot. I highly recommend it also. :)

Marvel's RUNAWAYS headed to the big screen!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I'm a big Marvel fan, but I only really looked into Bryan K. Vaughan's RUNAWAYS series during the Civil War crossovers. I'm not a big fan of the super stylized cartoony art (something that almost got me to stop reading Amazing Spider-Man a year or so back), so I didn't stick with it. I am a big fan of Vaughan's Y: THE LAST MAN books, so I'm sure if I buckled down and started from issue one I'd get into it, but I have yet to do that.

It's about the super powered teenage children of super villains who run away from home and band together as a group of goodies.

Marvel has announced that they're going forward with RUNAWAYS, putting it on the slate with flicks like CAPTAIN AMERICA, IRON MAN 2 and ANT MAN to hit sometime between now and 2011. Thoughts?

Get. The. Fuck. In.

I've been hoping for this since I first read the book, hopefully they'll manage to keep the magic alive, it can't be that hard to translate a well thought out, non-cliché'd, not too serious comic book <3

I'm a little apprehensive about that...I've always personally thought that the Runaways story was one that could only work in a comic book without turning out utterly cheesy, or a B-Teen flick. Hopefully I'm wrong, I loved the first volume and what little I read of the ongoing(I stopped reading when Joss started, but not intentionally, I just havent got aorund to reading it yet)

Now, who would you cast?

Unknowns for the kids. All of them. I always thought Ving Rhames would be a great choice for Alex's dad though. I am in on this, and considering that Vaughn does Hollywood work (one of the writers on Lost for the past two years) I hope he takes a pass at the script.

That said, I always thought that if they ever tried to turn this into a live action thing that a weekly series would work better. But that's just me.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, you can add the Runaways to the list of projects Marvel has in the incubation stages. Vaughan, who co-created the book with artist Adrian Alphona, will write the screenplay. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige will produce.

No word on when the film will appear, but the article mentions Marvel does have a pretty full slate already lined up through 2011.

Good Vaughn is going to adapt his own creation, at least for the initial script. This is escellent news.

Oh and I see that Runaways gets a new number 1 issue (for the third time) when Terry Moore and Humberto Ramos take over the book in August. Now if only issue 25 of series two would came out. Damn you Whedon!!!

The fact that BKV is writing the screenplay makes me a hell of a lot less apprehensive. There's not much he has done that I didn't like, so, I'm completely happy with that news.

That is going to be one huge year for Marvel Studios.

I've been reading a hell of a lot of recent-ish Marvel stuff at the minute, currently really enjoying Annihilation.

One thing I haven't really looked at is Daredevil. I wanna read something pretty modern, and go from there keeping in mind I no very little about DD's history other than his first few years which I read in Essential Daredevil.

Recommendations folks?

Stick with it, you've got Annhilation: Conquest to follow, and then, if you're still interested, the new Guardians of the Galaxy line. :)

Oh, and pick up the Nova trades if you like Annihilation. :)