Most Overrated IMDB Top 250 Entry

ROC

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I should try watching Fight Club again. I stopped at the seven minute mark because of the DVD being fucking terrible, but it came off as a series of quotes, each one more too-cool-for-the-room than the last.

Guest muddatrucker

I hate how people have boners for 'classic' movies, half of you don't even enjoy watching them but suck the semen from their arses because you're suppose to like them.

Citizen Kane, Psycho, Casablanca, they're all boring as shit.

Return of the King by a fucking mile.

This. It's a good movie, but top ten? Not. Even. Fucking. Close.

It's not even the best Lord of the Rings movie, for fuck's sake.

The whole list is garbage. Go look at AFI's list -- ya know, where they interviews experts and people who do movies for a living -- for a much better list.

Though I'm sure there is a lot of fanboyism in these things, but you seem to suggest that just being a movie watcher isn't good enough to rate films.

Or basically, don't judge unless you are in the industry, which is pants.

Edited by liamwannabe

The whole list is garbage. Go look at AFI's list -- ya know, where they interviews experts and people who do movies for a living -- for a much better list.

Though I'm sure there is a lot of fanboyism in these things, but you seem to suggest that just being a movie watcher isn't good enough to rate films.

Or basically, don't judge unless you are in the industry, which is pants.

Dukes is right, the system at IMDB is flawed because anyone can give any movie any rating. Someone can go in and give the Godfather a 1 and Manos the Hands of Fate a 10. Plus, it uses an arbitrary 1-10 scale, which I hate because I find it ridiculous that all movies can be graded on the same scale. I can't grade Clerks the way I'd grade Schindler's List; two great movies, but to give them both a 9 out of 10 seems a bit odd. One is about the horrors of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust while the other is two dudes talking about how much the average jizz mopper makes.

49. 8.3 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

In fact, it's absolutely boring. I nearly fell asleep while watching it. John Cleese is hilarious usually, but god he's just, just not in this, and nobody else is. There are the odd good bits, but there's just nothing there whatsoever that lives up to all the praise it gets everywhere.

63. 8.3 Sin City (2005)

It's good, but not this high. It looks amazing, brilliant even, but the actual film, well, I've seen it twice and the second viewing is a little bit, meh, not that good.

81. 8.2 Batman Begins (2005)

It's a really good film, no doubt about it, but it shouldn't be higher than far superior comic-book films like Spider-Man 1 and 2 and X2. Maybe even Blade. I actually think Begins is brilliant, but it shouldn't be quite this high.

152. 8.0 V for Vendetta (2005)

Good film, but nothing more. The only special thing about it is V. The story is good, Natalie Portman is annoying and there's nothing standout about it.

170. 7.9 Spartacus (1960)

It goes on FOREVER, and EVER. I like the film, but it never seems to end.

I don't find Casablanca enjoyable to watch.

I DO think Memento is one of the better films ever made though - so wonderfully acted, filmed, shot, great concept, fantastically handled.

Seven Samurai used to be higher and should be again :D

Pulp Fiction is horrifically overrated.

It's good, hell it's VERY good, but it's not THAT good.

As for underrated...how the hell is The Deer Hunter not in the Top 100?

That movie dragged on way too much in the beginning. It was like three hours long, and the first hour I could have lived without. The whole thing with getting to know every little detail in this PA town and then the super long wedding and reception sequence ... I was about ready to doze off and skip scenes.

The middle and ending did get much better, but there was no excuse for the front just going on and on pointlessly like it did.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Guest muddatrucker

Citizen Kane, Psycho, Casablanca, they're all boring as shit.

Citizen Kane is awesome. The imagary that Welles showed the audience is astonishing. It is definatly one of the grestest movies ever. Including his other films such as Touch of Evil which is another excellent film.

Psycho. AWESOME. As with most Hitchcock films. Anothy Perkins was the perfect Norman Bates. The sights and sounds that Hitchcock implemented in the films set an eerie tone. It is one of my personal favorites of all time, and got me into Hitchcock. His show was awesome, his movies are almost all fantastic.

How can you NOT like Casablanca? One of the best written, acted, and quoteable love stories ever. As I said earlier it may be overrated, but its a great and enjoyable film. I find more movies of this era to be to my liking as the writing is what really shines. The majority of movies these days suck, just plain suck. Psycho would be in my top 5, but the other two, maybe not... I'd rank The Big Sleep over them, Bogart is phenomenal in that film and is quite humerous with his sarcasam.

I suppose I should explain my dislike of Norton for Ringo.

I find him very wooden, and quite samey. He reminds me a great deal of this guy in my Uni's drama society, who everybody always creams over and fights for when it comes to casting... I'm always "meh." He's seen as very good because he is essentially playing the same role every time, and he can do that one role well. I haven't seen every movie Norton's made, so perhaps I'm wrong, but everything I've seen of him he's been in a similar-ish kinda role, and he's been unlikeable and unengaging at the same time.

Yawn.

Guest muddatrucker

Norton rocks, possibly one of my favourite actors, I get what you mean about him playing the same roles, I mean a priest and a neo-nazi are pretty similar.

I suppose I should explain my dislike of Norton for Ringo.

I find him very wooden, and quite samey. He reminds me a great deal of this guy in my Uni's drama society, who everybody always creams over and fights for when it comes to casting... I'm always "meh." He's seen as very good because he is essentially playing the same role every time, and he can do that one role well. I haven't seen every movie Norton's made, so perhaps I'm wrong, but everything I've seen of him he's been in a similar-ish kinda role, and he's been unlikeable and unengaging at the same time.

Yawn.