Has the Joker been cast for the Batman sequel?

Maxx

Meh, I'd rather go for Jake G. as opposed to Josh Lucas. Lucas didn't do a bad job in Glory Road, but he's definitely not the type of guy I'd care to see in a Batman movie.

Edited by CKN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gyllenhaal gets Two-Face I WILL scream. Because there's something really cheesy about both leads from Brokeback Mountain playing Batman's two greatest enemies. I could buy Josh Lucas in the role, conversely.

Ledger's someone with the ability to make the Joker the dark, sadist that he should be. I'm glad they didn't get someone who is "wacky" to play the part since it would totally kill the Nolan universe.

But the inherent flaw is that the Joker is not JUST a dark sadist. I see what you're saying, but in my opinion you NEED manic energy to play that character and I've never seen Ledger really show anything along those lines.

Truth be told, I'd rather have the Joker as being played as a dark sadist. I have fears that if they try the manic route for the Joker, it'll come across as goofy and not the eerie, make-you-squirm manic route they should be taking. So I'll take the sadist over goofiness any day.

I'm hearing Ryan Phillipe is has a really good shot at being Dent/Two-Face

I love that they're using parts of The Long Halloween as the basis of this script.

If Gyllenhaal gets Two-Face I WILL scream. Because there's something really cheesy about both leads from Brokeback Mountain playing Batman's two greatest enemies. I could buy Josh Lucas in the role, conversely.

Ledger's someone with the ability to make the Joker the dark, sadist that he should be. I'm glad they didn't get someone who is "wacky" to play the part since it would totally kill the Nolan universe.

But the inherent flaw is that the Joker is not JUST a dark sadist. I see what you're saying, but in my opinion you NEED manic energy to play that character and I've never seen Ledger really show anything along those lines.

I'd love the manic energy, but not in this take on Batman. If done correctly, there could be the perfect match. But my fear is that the manic energy of the Joker will come across as super cheesy compared to the gritty feel that the movies have. And no actor at all could change this, it's based solely on the writing.

I'd love the manic energy, but not in this take on Batman. If done correctly, there could be the perfect match. But my fear is that the manic energy of the Joker will come across as super cheesy compared to the gritty feel that the movies have. And no actor at all could change this, it's based solely on the writing.

Meh. I think The Killing Joke proved that you can keep that air around the Joker whilst making it very fitting in a dark, gritty comic.

I don't see why everyone's hating on Ledger, he's a very versatile actor. Plus, he's not that well-known, so you won't be distracted like with Nicholson. Watching the original Batman, you feel like you're watching Jack Nicholson in clown make-up, with Ledger, you'll be able to immerse yourself better. Plus, you still got Nolan directing, he'll make sure Ledger plays the role right.

I have no problems with Ledger being Joker. Actually I think it's a good choice and that he'll be able to carry it well.

I always thought Jake Gyllenhaal was going to be cast as the Joker ever since Nolan said Gyllenhaal was his first choice to play Batman until he was won over by Bale's audition. No doubt we'll probably see Gyllenhaal as Two Face or some other character down the line.

Edited by The LBTN

Lotta talk floating around about Phillip Seymour Hoffman being the Penguin, now that would be awesome casting there. I certainly wouldn't mind two of Batman's biggest villains being in there, just keep them mostly separate like Scarecrow and Ras Al Ghul were in the first movie. And I will be pissed if they kill off the Joker in one movie, the character has so much room to be a multiple film villain.

They need to stick to one villain, or at least one main villain. There's plenty to do with a villain like Joker, that there's no need to even introduce Penguin. I really love the idea of introducing Dent as Bruce's friend, only to set him up as the main villain in film 3.

And please, I hope when Nolan introduces Bane, he doesn't decide to just cast Nathan Jones or whatever idiot with muscles, and actually make Bane a worthy representation of what he is in the comics.

Exactly thug, while there were two villains in Begins, it worked out perfectly. I have a feeling they'll go that route again. As long as they don't do silly alliances like the Bruckheimer movies, it'll work out fine.

Penguin is supposed to be a minor role, a little larger that Mr. Zsasz was in Begins. He's supposed to be an arms dealer from what I've heard

Black Mask is supposed to have a minor role too

They could go so many routes. Penguin could be the main physical villain while Joker could get captured early and play sort of a Hannibal Lecter role from Arkham only to escape in the end.

Yeah, just to further the multiple villain report...

From IGNFF: "The Batman-on-Film.com ... claims The Joker will be just one of the villains in a larger story and that he won't appear until halfway through the movie, a la Batman in "Begins." He is also expected to have a backstory.

"From what I've heard about the direction of the film expect The Joker to be very creepy and very extreme," a trusted source for BoF advised the site, claiming that Ledger's Clown Prince will be totally unlike Jack Nicholson's portrayal in the 1989 film."

Guest usual suspect

DeFett_Joker_1.jpg

That's a mock up picture of Ledger as The Joker that I found on another forum. I don't think capturing the look is going to be Ledger's problem, I just can't see him pulling off the manic, dark, over-the-top style that Nicholson honed so well back in 89'.

On another note, aswell as The Penguin being rumoured to be apart of the story, it's also said The Black Mask will feature in some kinda capacity according to the summary on IMDB.

Edited by usual suspect

I don't see why everyone's hating on Ledger, he's a very versatile actor. Plus, he's not that well-known, so you won't be distracted like with Nicholson. Watching the original Batman, you feel like you're watching Jack Nicholson in clown make-up, with Ledger, you'll be able to immerse yourself better. Plus, you still got Nolan directing, he'll make sure Ledger plays the role right.

Nolan could cast an ironing board as the Joker and make it work.

As for the multiple villains. They'll almost have to if they want to build up a Dent-Batman friendship. Have Dent and Batman fight Penguin, or someone, the first half. And during this have a build-up to the Joker. They MUST show his origins at some point, as a way of building to his arrival. And then, here he is. In order to end the movie they'll have to have his capture, but that doesn't mean they need to put him in Arkham. That can wait for the 3rd movie.

Edited by damshow