The EWB Band 100 III

Jook

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are GnR important? Because they've sold records? It's hardly like there is a huge load of bands today influenced by them knocking about today. They're just a huge example of rock star image selling, rather than quality songs.

There's a plethora of bands from the early 90s better than them.

Why are GnR important? Because they've sold records? It's hardly like there is a huge load of bands today influenced by them knocking about today. They're just a huge example of rock star image selling, rather than quality songs.

Well, I was stating I'd see them as more important than Muse, but I'd also say they were important because they were influential, even though it isn't as often seen in music recently (though there still are bands who DO go for what they used to do in the music scene these days).

You could also argue they set the tone for bombastic OTT-ness in alternative music with releasing the Use Your Illusion I and II on the same day (as far as I was aware, an unheard of concept) and the video for November Rain which cost god knows how much money. Not neccessarily important through these two, but interesting.

G'n'R also taught us the value of sacking your entire band, hiring a crew of talentless fuckmooks, spending a decade on an album with a bad title, and generally becoming a fat homophobe.

It's gonna be a blueprint for a whole generation of overrated rock 'tards, I tell ya.

The sheer amount of Oasis at number one boggles the mind. Yes, they're a good band. Yes, Definitely Maybe was a fantastic album and they've written some alright songs over the last decade or so. So have the Dixie Chicks, they don't get #1 ratings. <_<

At this point, they've made as many 'bad' albums overall as 'good' albums overall, and nothing has come close to the first two. Oasis are top 20 good, for the influence they had on pretty much all British rock music from then on, but they're definitely not top spot good IMO.

I also forgot to vote for them myself and don't really wanna edit my list around as I did it via gut reaction (insert Colbert reference here)... but if people don't start voting in mass quantities for Blur, I'm going to be a sad panda.

Discuss/flame.

G'n'R also taught us the value of sacking your entire band, hiring a crew of talentless fuckmooks, spending a decade on an album with a bad title, and generally becoming a fat homophobe.

It's gonna be a blueprint for a whole generation of overrated rock 'tards, I tell ya.

The sheer amount of Oasis at number one boggles the mind. Yes, they're a good band. Yes, Definitely Maybe was a fantastic album and they've written some alright songs over the last decade or so. So have the Dixie Chicks, they don't get #1 ratings. <_<

At this point, they've made as many 'bad' albums overall as 'good' albums overall, and nothing has come close to the first two. Oasis are top 20 good, for the influence they had on pretty much all British rock music from then on, but they're definitely not top spot good IMO.

I also forgot to vote for them myself and don't really wanna edit my list around as I did it via gut reaction (insert Colbert reference here)... but if people don't start voting in mass quantities for Blur, I'm going to be a sad panda.

Discuss/flame.

If people don't realise that Pulp were the best band of the main brit-rock trio, I'm gonna be a sad panda.

But yeah, Oasis get their votes irrelevant of how many bad albums they put out just because the albums they put out that are good are generally really good. Add the british mainstream infatuation with them from the beginning, the battles against Blur and other stuff like that, means Oasis will always get touted around high in these things.

Wait, Muse have done what for music? I mean, I like them enough, but I really dont see anything that sets them aside from a lot of alternative bands. Other than the fact that Matt Bellamy looks like a rat.

1. Guns N Roses

2. Metallica

3. Megadeth

4. Slipknot

5. Slayer

6. Pantera

7. Bruce Springsteen

8. Wednesday 13

9. Reel Big fish

10. Misfits

Edited by ravenjuice

The correct order is Oasis > Blur > Pulp > Suede, and then probably The Bluetones > Elastica, but let's stop there. Pulp's best two songs are better than anybody else's best two songs, but Oasis have more awesome songs than Pulp do, and Blur have slightly less but still slightly more than Pulp.

1. Oasis

2. The Zutons

3. Blur

4. Pulp

5. Queen

6. Suede

7. Razorlight

8. Dirty Pretty Things

9. The Libertines

10. Led Zeppelin

Holy shit, my musical taste sucks now. :shifty:

Edited by Burninating Pesci

I always preferred Blur personally, then Oasis (for the first two albums) and then Pulp. Kula Shaker, Ocean Colour Scene and the Stereophonics from that sort of timeframe were class as well.

I've always liked Blur more than Oasis. I can't put my finger on it, it just always felt like there was more to Blur's stuff than Oasis'. Plus "Pop Scene" was just the most brilliantly ironic song ever.