EWB Band 100 III Results

Jook

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just adding my two cents to the Nirvana discussion....I pretty much agree with what Zero had to say. People seem to forget, probably due to everyone being like "omg, they are only still popular due to Cobain killing himself", that Nirvana actually wrote some really good stuff. Sure, some people who thought they were the be all and end all of music over-rated them, but I never think they deserve some of the hatred they seem to get now. They released 3 albums of excellent material (it could be hit and miss, just like GoGo said, but when it hit, it was impressively good), and there are a lot of other things people tend to forget when mentioning Nirvana also (they were an awesome live band, they gave a lot of kudos to thier influences along the way/Kurt's favourite bands meaning they got publicity of some extent, they had a wicked sense of humour at times...which counts).

Sure, at different times I've preferred Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden, but thats because I've waned in and out of being a big Nirvana fan....but none of the albums produced by the other 3 had as big an impact on me as "Nevermind".

1. Muse

2. Rage Against The Machine - #9

3. Pink Floyd - #11

4. The Mars Volta - #19

5. Metallica

6. Outkast - Not on list.

7. Sufjan Stevens - #54!

8. The White Stripes - #36

9. Saul Williams - Probably not on list.

10. Incubus

Yeah, I love having about five or six of the entries! >_>

Oh, and in terms of the depth of solid material, I think the Foo Fighters are way better then Nirvana. Nirvana exploded, whereas the Foos are more of a workhorse, but they have their own great hits, are also a great live act, and don't deserve the slag given to them earlier in this topic. They're one of the underrated modern rock acts in my personal opinion, and their spot on the list is probably exactly where they belong.

Oh, and in terms of the depth of solid material, I think the Foo Fighters are way better then Nirvana. Nirvana exploded, whereas the Foos are more of a workhorse, but they have their own great hits, are also a great live act, and don't deserve the slag given to them earlier in this topic. They're one of the underrated modern rock acts in my personal opinion, and their spot on the list is probably exactly where they belong.

I need to listen to the Foo Fighters' albums start to finish so I can make a proper decision on that stuff.

Well, except for In Your Honor which was fantastically dull except for like five songs.

Currently got 7 in the list, I'm hoping for Metallica to make it, and make 8.

1 - Hatebreed - #78

2 -System Of A Down - #25

3 - Napalm Death

4 - Rage Against The Machine - #9

5 - Metallica

6 - White Stripes - #36

7 - Stone Sour - #62

8 - Placebo

9 - Gorillaz - #100

10 - Disturbed - #33

1. The Beatles

2. The Pillows - #26

3. Blur - #21

4. The Ramones

5. Gorillaz - #100

6. Miles Davis

7. Nirvana - #17

8. The White Stripes - #36

9. Jurassic 5

10. Johnny Cash - #49

There's no way that the Fabs won't be somewhere in the top eight, so I'm going to end up with seven out of ten on the list, and I wasn't expecting Miles Davis or Jurassic 5 to chart anyway. So this all works out. The Ramones not charting is still criminal, though.

1- Red Hot Chili Peppers

2- KMFDM - #57

3- Smashing Pumpkins -#30

4- Slayer - #40

5- Blind Guardian

6- Opeth

7- Sisters of Mercy

8- Joy Division - #37

9- Peaches

10- Korpiklaani

You all fail for not having the same music taste as me and as a result allowing me to land 5 bands. And looking back I'm curious just how I voted for all of these bands over Iron Maiden. I'm pretty sure I thought I put Maiden at #1 and then didn't bother actually checking that I did since they're Maiden and all.

I like the Foos I do, but my problem ranges exactly where you say they are "solid"....they are, but "if unspectacular for the most" should follow.

Aside of "The Colour And The Shape", which is excellent, most of thier other stuff just is solid rock rather than anything that amazing.