Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been distinctly average. I'd love to really see him kick it up a notch in the next season though.

I mean looking at the strikers that have been brought in this season or thereabouts for teams.

Shevchenko (Chelsea)

Kuyt (Liverpool)

Martins (Newcastle)

McCarthy (Blackburn)

Anelka (Bolton)

Tevez (West Ham)

I mean there some pretty big names, and I'm sure I've missed them, just goes to show how lucrative the Premiership is, even big names are being attracted to unsuccessful clubs such as Newcastle and West Ham, and not just the big name teams like usual. I like to see it, it's great for the game and I'd love to see all these strikers hit their stride in the same season, it'd be immense.

The amount of money paid is entirely irrelevant. The wanted the player, they bought him. It's only when you have a spendthrifty chairman or concerned shareholders that the fee paid has a bearing on your judgement of the player.

Guest REENGAYLAND!!!

I just remember last summer when a whole bunch of people thought Lampard was gonna be benched and have to leave because Ballack was a much better player and was gonna be taking his place.

They were so right >_>

Edited by REENGAYLAND!!!

As much as it causes me physical and emotional pain to agree with Johnny, I pretty much have to.

The reason Shevchenko has been shite, is because every defender in the Premiership was trying to be his siamese twin for the first half of the season. That's why Drogba is Chelsea's "MVP", because nobody could've cared less about him in the first half of the season, so he was relatively unmarked and free to bang home goal after goal.

Now Sheva is "getting better" because defenders are realising that Drogba is just as much of a threat, and giving Sheva some space. Which is why he's been better in Europe, because he's been terrorising European defences for ages, so they don't gang up on him as if he's some kind of one-man team.

Worth £30mil? No. But nobody is.

Considering that relative to Chelsea's budget, that works out at about a tenner, I don't think it was a *bad* buy. Especially considering the merchandise revenue.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I just remember last summer when a whole bunch of people thought Lampard was gonna be benched and have to leave because Ballack was a much better player and was gonna be taking his place.

They were so right >_>

I fought the good fight saying Ballack would be poor.

I R WINNAR

Boulahrouz is awful. In one of the fleeting good Spurs moments this season, he came on as a sub, Keane and Lennon destroyed him, he was then subbed off.

As for Ballack, he hasn't lived up to the hype, but he's a winner. Players like Ballack are the reason Chelsea will end up with a few trophies this season, they have all kinds of experience. He scored that penalty in the World Cup off one leg, Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher all bottled it.

The reason he hasn't been spectacular, in addition to some laziness at the beginning, is few Chelsea players are given creative license - they play four centre midfielders in the first half, everyone works their socks off and they smother teams. Then they have the option to bring on Robben and kill teams off. It isn't at all pretty, but its proven to be effective.

Maybe he's had his great moments or something, but there's one player that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, during it's "call a random Chelsea player crap" phase, that I think deserves it.

One player who can miss from 3 yards, play a neat one-two with the opponents central defender, and generally be relied upon to suck for 99% of the match (or at least, the small portion of it he plays in), score one goal - which is usually vitally important - and be heralded as brilliant.

Solomon Kalou.

Edited by Farmer Reil