2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Didn't this happen to Toronto last year, just much later in the year. I know that that's how Montreal basically stole their way to 7th place, because Toronto had a 5 or 6 point lead on Montreal, then lost 7 in a row and they lost their playoff hopes. I really hope Toronto makes it to the playoffs, if only for the chance to see a Montreal-Toronto conference finals which goes to 7 games, and Sundin scores the OT winner in Toronto and the crowd erupts as though we just won the Stanley Cup...

a man can dream...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aubin looked like poo early on, Maurice put Raycroft in and he was absolutely solid.

What a big win for the Maple Leafs! Not only did they win and get some offence, but they came from being behind 3-1. That has to be a gigantic boost of confidence.

Hawks are back at .500! Yay for not being a losing team anymore. Bondra scores #499 in his first game wearing the indian head as they beat the Blows 3-2. What better time to score #500 than against the Red Wings next game? Actually, it would be an excellent time to score #501 and #502, too.

Hawks are back at .500! Yay for not being a losing team anymore. Bondra scores #499 in his first game wearing the indian head as they beat the Blows 3-2. What better time to score #500 than against the Red Wings next game? Actually, it would be an excellent time to score #501 and #502, too.

Montreal took on Boston yesterday. I was fortunate enough to go to the game. Was quite the affair, I loved it. The crowd was all over Chara all game and Samsanov is starting to earn his keep.

Tough times for both teams, what with Gainey's daughter dead and Kessel having cancer(thankfully he's got the type with a 99% cure rate)

Montreal wins 4-3, but the game wasn't nearly as close as the score. Montreal dominated on 5 on 5. Their special teams looked a little weak for having the #2PK and #3PP in the league, but that happens. A big two points for the Habs, but it just seems like the situation in the North East never gets any easier. Granted we've got 9 points on both Ottawa and Toronto, to go along with 2 game at hand on both teams. But the #2 spot in that division is going to be a tight race all year. I mean if Toronto can lose 7 in a row, yet the teams ahead of them didn't really pull away from them as they could or should have, then you know it's anybodies game.

Montreal has played their best hockey in their last 10 games or so. Solid 60 minute efforts, 100% from every man on the bench. Yet we're in our worst stretch of the season 5-3-2 in our last 10. We need to pick it up some more.

I like how NHL.com says Ottawa ruled the Wings, despite the fact that if it wasn't for solid goaltending(Emery with 43 saves) their 20 shots probably wouldn't have been enough.

Souray and Begin were suspiciously missing from the line-up last night. Which was too bad, seeing as they're some of my favourite players. What it did show was that maybe the Habs can survive well without Souray seeing has his meager 2 million dollar a year salary is due for a big increase seeing as he's on pace for 30 goals and 70 points. I think the Habs will deal away Rivet, let Niinimaa go to FA and resign Markov(priority) and Souray.

I read in the papers the other day that Elias, Arnott, Shanahan and others turned down contracts from Montreal in the offseason which were bigger than the ones they signed for. Too bad, I really wish Shanny would have been in a Habs uniform.

Montreal, hopefully will make a serious run at and in the playoffs. I think that with the way they play, they might be a year or 2 away from being considered contenders.

Interestingly enough, Montreal is playing with it's best record after 30 games since the 92/93 campaign. They've also been doing it without one of their best players in Higgins, who is tentatively set to return against Tampa Bay tomorrow night in Montreal. If he can still play like he was before the injury, Montreal will benefit tremendously from him seeing as he was at a point per game production rate. Not bad for a sophmore player.

You know, a lot of people rag of Kovalev, and yeah he screws up sometimes, but while he only has 7 goals, his 21 points are good for 3rd on the team.

Montreal hopefully can score a series of wins before January. Only 3-1-2 on the month for 8 out of a possible 12 points, they've got games against Tampa, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly, Boston, Washington, Florida and Tampa before the month is over. In those 8 games, I'm predicting 5-1-2 with losses to Tampa(tomorrow), Buffalo and Washington.

If it goes down like that an 8-2-4 month wouldn't be too bad considering we went 8-5-0 In November and 6-2-3 in October. As long as we keep the losses down, and hopefully in OT or SO, we'll keep #2 in the division and #4 in the East as the Atlantic division is weak besides the Devils and the Southeast doesn't have any real threats besides Hotlanta who're doing far better than their 9th place finish last season.

Montreal took on Boston yesterday. I was fortunate enough to go to the game. Was quite the affair, I loved it. The crowd was all over Chara all game and Samsanov is starting to earn his keep.

Tough times for both teams, what with Gainey's daughter dead and Kessel having cancer(thankfully he's got the type with a 99% cure rate)

Montreal wins 4-3, but the game wasn't nearly as close as the score. Montreal dominated on 5 on 5. Their special teams looked a little weak for having the #2PK and #3PP in the league, but that happens. A big two points for the Habs, but it just seems like the situation in the North East never gets any easier. Granted we've got 9 points on both Ottawa and Toronto, to go along with 2 game at hand on both teams. But the #2 spot in that division is going to be a tight race all year. I mean if Toronto can lose 7 in a row, yet the teams ahead of them didn't really pull away from them as they could or should have, then you know it's anybodies game.

Montreal has played their best hockey in their last 10 games or so. Solid 60 minute efforts, 100% from every man on the bench. Yet we're in our worst stretch of the season 5-3-2 in our last 10. We need to pick it up some more.

I like how NHL.com says Ottawa ruled the Wings, despite the fact that if it wasn't for solid goaltending(Emery with 43 saves) their 20 shots probably wouldn't have been enough.

Souray and Begin were suspiciously missing from the line-up last night. Which was too bad, seeing as they're some of my favourite players. What it did show was that maybe the Habs can survive well without Souray seeing has his meager 2 million dollar a year salary is due for a big increase seeing as he's on pace for 30 goals and 70 points. I think the Habs will deal away Rivet, let Niinimaa go to FA and resign Markov(priority) and Souray.

I read in the papers the other day that Elias, Arnott, Shanahan and others turned down contracts from Montreal in the offseason which were bigger than the ones they signed for. Too bad, I really wish Shanny would have been in a Habs uniform.

Montreal, hopefully will make a serious run at and in the playoffs. I think that with the way they play, they might be a year or 2 away from being considered contenders.

Interestingly enough, Montreal is playing with it's best record after 30 games since the 92/93 campaign. They've also been doing it without one of their best players in Higgins, who is tentatively set to return against Tampa Bay tomorrow night in Montreal. If he can still play like he was before the injury, Montreal will benefit tremendously from him seeing as he was at a point per game production rate. Not bad for a sophmore player.

You know, a lot of people rag of Kovalev, and yeah he screws up sometimes, but while he only has 7 goals, his 21 points are good for 3rd on the team.

Montreal hopefully can score a series of wins before January. Only 3-1-2 on the month for 8 out of a possible 12 points, they've got games against Tampa, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly, Boston, Washington, Florida and Tampa before the month is over. In those 8 games, I'm predicting 5-1-2 with losses to Tampa(tomorrow), Buffalo and Washington.

If it goes down like that an 8-2-4 month wouldn't be too bad considering we went 8-5-0 In November and 6-2-3 in October. As long as we keep the losses down, and hopefully in OT or SO, we'll keep #2 in the division and #4 in the East as the Atlantic division is weak besides the Devils and the Southeast doesn't have any real threats besides Hotlanta who're doing far better than their 9th place finish last season.

Edited by CKN

Was watching Sportscenter this morning. The hockeycentral panel was ripping on the Leafs defence and were saying that if it wasn't for the absolute porusness of the Lightning defence and their AHL level goaltending, Toronto would have dropped their 8th.

Was watching Sportscenter this morning. The hockeycentral panel was ripping on the Leafs defence and were saying that if it wasn't for the absolute porusness of the Lightning defence and their AHL level goaltending, Toronto would have dropped their 8th.
Edited by Clawson

Big game tonight. I'm really pumped. Hawks play the Wings - always exciting games. Especially now that the team has been on a roll. No regulation losses since Savard took over: 5-0-3. Also, Rene Bourque makes his return tonight, so the Hawks offense is nearly at full strength (aside from Handzus, obviously). As healthy as they have been all season.

Preliminary lineup (according to CBH.COM):

Ruutu - Smolinski - Havlat

Vrbata - Sharp - Hamilton

Bourque - Arkhipov - Lapointe

Bondra - Holmqvist - Stewart

Kukkonen - Seabrook

Keith - Wisniewski

Cullimore - Vandermeer

Khabibulin

Boucher

Scratched:

Aucoin (groin)

Salmelainen

Glad to see Salmo scratched. Bondra on the fourth line baffled me at first, but obviously it's only his second game of the season (he only played 11+ minutes in his first, including 5 minutes of PP time) so Savard gives him limited responsibility 5-on-5 and probably uses him lots on the powerplay. Besides, Holmer has pretty good hands so he can probably feed some pucks towards Bondra when he does play. Only thing, Holmer is a left shooter, so Bondra should play right wing and Stewie left, to naturally make plays.

Prediction: none, except for 'close game'.

Montreal takes another win tonight. That's 3 in their last 4. And they have points in 6 of 7 games this month.

Maxime Lapierre put on a total show tonight. I've never seen someone work so hard in one game. This practically tops that Koivu vs Leafs effort 2 weeks ago. When he kept the puck out of Lightning hands while they were on the powerplay in their own corner while also landing 3 checks the crowd went crazy. Shit a minute almost went by before the puck got away from him.

Koivu with 2 tonight and Huet puts in a monumental performance. The one timer save on Kuba, say magnifique.

Tampa's defence sucks, their offence was on all night and Montreal, while they had their chances had lots of trouble getting clean passes which led to very few shots.

Still 4-2 final score with Sid the Kid comming to town on Saturday.