Football Manager 2007

Dan

What do people think of Tendency to Punch? I like it quite low, but some people say that having it high is good because 'keepers will punch it far and away to safety etc.

I'm not entirely sure, but it's not usually a determining factor on whether I play a goalkeeper or not, or whether I sign him or not.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good, so most goals are actually my defense's fault. More tactical changes needed.

I don't really like punching to be high, as obviously the rebound could land on the wrong feet. And it seems to me that it's more effective to catch the ball and kick it away than to punch it away.

In fairness, sometimes though catching isn't an option and punching is, but then again a 'keeper would do that if they had to in the game I guess.

I looked over all three of my goalkeepers for Blackburn in the first team, they all have low eccentricity and tendancy to punch so that must be right. Does anyone know if European 'keepers have more tendancy to punch at all?

Guest Ringo Masterson

After signing Jim Ford for a free from Ross County at the start of the season, and beating off Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton to his signature - I thought that was the end of it and I had the next best goalkeeper for nothing.

No. Chelsea have just offered me £5.25m plus 25% sell on clause, and Liverpool offered me just flatout £5.25m.

Both of which have been rejected, he's only worth £2.7m but then again he's aged just 20. He has low eccentricty and tendency to punch, but his other technical and physical stats are all immense. I don't want to let him go, but if someone comes in with an astronomical bid, it may be hard to turn it down.

EDIT: As soon as I posted, Arsenal came in with an identical bid to Chelsea's. Then Manchester United wanted to enquire how much he was worth, I've rejected all offers and told them he's not for sale. It's going to be like Keith Treacy, Matthew Underwood and Lauri Dalla Valle all over again where I have to stave off bids from the same teams twice a week.

No. I just play whatever I'm given. I'm not happy that an 88th minute penalty (that I argued and apparently it wasn't a penalty) gave Wigan a 1-1 draw and took 2 points off the board that I could really really use in a tight league.

I guess I'd lose interest if I done that, it can hurt if it's going right and then goes wrong, and it's a long way to wait an entire season to try and set the record straight say if you throw the league away on the last day of the season (Pesci.) but if you comeback next season and manage it, it's all okay (Y)

it's a long way to wait an entire season to try and set the record straight say if you throw the league away on the last day of the season (Pesci.) but if you comeback next season and manage it, it's all okay (Y)
Edited by Pesci Soze

Guest Ringo Masterson

I was once deeply tempted to restart a game after I blew away the Premiership on the last day of the season. I had to win a game. If I lost, Man Utd had to win by 4 goals in order to win the league. I lost and they scored 5 and :crying:. Still, I won it the next year and it was wonderful.

The extent of my cheating consists of putting players on "reject all transfers" because the game seems to forget they have minimum release clauses sometimes.

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note, do you ever save the file before a really important game, and reload the game if results don't go your way? I have a rule that, if the result does not go my way the first time, then I reload it, but if it doesn't happen a second time, then I grit my teeth, probably shout and swear a lot, and continue.

comebackfz8.jpg

Not only was it a great comeback, but it was the third last game. When we were 3-1 down we were 7th in the table, end of the match we're up to 4th. If Spurs win their game in hand, they will go ahead of me on goal difference, but I still have to play them which will probably be the deciding factor. Everton win and they're one point behind, I could do without more pressure than I already have.

We have two games left to play, next up 3rd placed Liverpool which will be no easy feat. Then to cap it off a possible make or break match with Tottenham Hotspur. It's a tough last two games, it's going to really test us to see if we're worthy of the Champions League.

To be honest, all that's on my mind is that we'll get money. I don't care about the prospect of playing AC Milan at Ewood Park, nor do I care that when I arrived for the last third of the season I only managed to keep the side up with about 2 games to play. None of that matters, the money will be fabulous, and UEFA Cup would not be terrible either, but it can still all go horribly wrong - very easily with the calibre opponents we have to play. I'm very, very tense. We can do it, I know we can, we've played well recently, got a good streak of wins on our back, but it'll still seem like a miracle if we finish 4th.

I came back from a 1-0 and a beat Chelsea. That makes up for the referee making us lose against Bolton. All thanks to my new tactic against big teams, a 5-3-2 which totally reeks awesomeness on a counterattack.

And now I'm qualified after 3 games on the UEFA cup. And on the league I'm fifth, which rocks. Everyone's been scoring plenty, and for the first time I'm actually scoring corners. Thank god I signed Gareth Bale.

Oh, and Cesar Delgado's value has become twice of what I bought him for. It's $13m. And Owen's value went up a million, and Moore's is up to around the $20m mark. And still no one wants to buy John Carew. Now he's starting fights with Bouma, and poisoned Delaney with his attitude now. At least Delaney can do his fucking job right at the club, not scoring 5 goals on 3 games for fucking Norway. >_>

Everton is 16th, also. Which is very amusing as their manager is telling everyone that they aren't performing well. And begging for mercy before their match against Liverpool.

I've decided to start a new game instead of always playing with Ajax. I've selected Germany, Russia, Denmark, Italy, England, Holland and Spain instead of only two leagues. I know my pc can take it so why the hell not. I got a job at Alaves in the Spanish Secunda Division, which surprised me because it's quite a large club. I immediately promoted to the Primera Division. I managed to sign Zigic from Racing Santander and he has been amazing so far. After 7 games I'm now 9th, which is great considering I'm expected to relegate. After one season I want to go to another team though because I want to play in all the leagues I've selected at least once for fun and to win as much as I can, plus Alaves is a boring club.

Edited by Quasi Juice

I finished the season late last night but was too upset to post :(

I was 3-0 down to Spurs at half time, scored 2 but couldn't find the third goal. Newcastle and Chelsea both won so I dropped to 6th with Newcastle getting CL on GD and Chelsea one place ahead of me because they'd scored 2 more goals.

Very upsetting but I finished 6th, which should be UEFA Cup barring any changes in coefficients. Not bad for a relegation tipped team to go into the final day in 4th, huh? Next season will be bigger and better!

I am so freakin' happy.

My matey and I decided to try and make the Benelux League, something we would love to see in real life. With the FM Editor we put the top 9 Dutch teams in the Benelux Premier Division together with the top 9 Belgium teams. The bottom 9'ers are in the Benelux First Division. We didn't know if it would work but it's working and I f'n LOVE it! Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AZ, Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard in one league together is awesome