What music are you listening to?

Benji

ZiggyStardust.jpg

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: 10/10

This album really took me by surprise. I had no idea I'd like Davie Bowie. When I was younger, I didn't care too much about him. All songs are pretty amazing, with my favorites being "Moonage Daydream", "Starman", and "Ziggy Stardust".

TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

The Doors: 9/10

More reason to love psychedelic rock. My favorite songs on the album are "Break On Through", "Soul Kitchen", "Light My Fire", and "The End".

Prettiesforyou.jpg

Alice Cooper - Pretties For You: 8/10

A very good album, though not what I was expecting musically. I was expecting (and hoping for) more hard rock/glam rock.

The Beatles - Revolver

No grade. Just awesomeness. Weirdly enough, it's like Rashid's thought in thinking he wouldn't like Bowie. I didn't think I'd get into the Beatles much, but this album is definitely a great mish-mash of sound. Maybe not as hard-edged as say The Velvet Underground's debut album, but it's definitely deserving of the high place it receives in rock history. And "Taxman", "Eleanor Rigby", and "Doctor Robert" and amazing tracks. Yeah, that's it, really.

Young Galaxy - Young Galaxy

I hate hippies. I hate hippy music. I hate anything and everything to do with hippies. However, this is exactly what hippy music should be like if it wants to be considered good. It's not 'psych' in the traditional sense of the word, but it is this lovely, blissed out, soundscape of an album, but with actual songs. 'The Sun Is Coming Up, But My Plane's Going Down' is delightful, and probably my highlight of the album. I would recommend this to anyone who likes 'nice' music sometimes.

8.5/10

31XGS5CC29L._AA240_.jpg

Landscape - From the Tea-Rooms of Mars... to the Hell Holes of Uranus

7/10

This is a good 80’s synth album that really shines in places, sadly though it is bogged down by a few patchy tracks that really show there age, ‘Face of the 80’s’ is an example of this, If you stick with the album though it surprises, One minute you can be listening to a track that you feel is dated and irrelevant and the next you can be blown away by a track that still feels fresh and catchy, so this album is a mixed bag really..but it still has a lot to offer if you enjoy this style of music.

Standout tracks – European Man, Shake the west awake, Einstein a Go Go, Doll’s House, Norman Bates

200px-LARGE_eat_me_drink_me_cover.jpg

Marilyn Manson - Eat me, Drink Me

8/10

This album is a great return for Manson and I get a similar vibe from it as I do from Holywood but with a more personal twist (and due to this maybe more of a warped twist). I really liked the style of Manson’s last album ‘Golden Age of the Grotesque’ and I do miss that a little but the great thing about Manson is every album of his has its own unique identity. I am a fan of this album and I think I am only going to grow to like it more in time…

Sparta(1).jpg

Sparta - Threes

7.5/10

It's a good album, better than there previous efforts that they put forth. Strong rock and roll throughout the entire album, and a nice and easy listen on a late spring day.

Top Tracks: Taking Back Control, The Most Vicious Crime, Translations

White Rabbits - Fort Nightly - 7.5/10

It is the type of indie album I know I've heard a good deal of before, but it's so oddball and charming that it's a fun listen. The piano and guitar blend really works well here, and actually I like it a lot better than another recent indie CD with this type of sound, Cold War Kids's Robbers and Cowards. That said, the CD turns kind of meh close to the end but "Kid on My Shoulders", "The Plot", and "Navy Wives" are especially awesome tracks.

Battles - "Mirrored"

I'm impressed, i didn't think i would like this kind of thing but it's so fun and exciting. There are a few songs i didn't like at all but they were all 1 to 3 minute songs. The epic 8 minute "Rainbow" is AMAZING. Everything else is great and i'm so glad i listened to it. The best thing of all is that it is probably one of those records that will keep on growing me. It's ahead of it's time and it will probably still be ahead of it's time for a good 30 years but i can imagine that a long time from now these guys will be considered 'rock legends'. It's cool to think something like that could happen.

7.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

41G5DPCC1JL._AA240_.jpg

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

10/10

Pure quality, While Trans-Europe Express comes close this is probably my favorite Kraftwerk album, I love all six tracks, especially the title track which was later sampled by Jay Z in his song ‘Sunshine’

41X9STV1XTL._AA240_.jpg

Cannibal Corpse - Vile

7/10

Good Death Metal album but not for everybody, Disgusting song titles with disgusting lyrics (not that you will be able to make many of them out). While I enjoy this album it is not something I would like to listen to often, but when I am in the mood this album fits. I am not the biggest Cannibal Corpse fan but I know many regard this as there best CD and out of the few Cd’s of theirs that I own I would have to agree.

41XOyOjHRqL._AA240_.jpg

Queen - The Platinum Collection, Greatest Hits 1, 2 and 3

10/10

This set is always finding its way onto my CD player, not much time goes between listens. Just total quality, if you’re only going to spend money on Queen once in your lifetime then it should be on this set in my opinion, all of the classics are included.

51QNN7EAKAL._AA240_.jpg

Will Smith - Lost and Found

9/10

Some people will just laugh at this but I honestly feel this is an underrated album (It gets played by me quite alot) and I also feel it was marketed poorly, “Switch” was a hit but tracks like ‘Tell Me Why’ ‘Party Starter’ ‘Lost and Found’ could have been successful singles also. This is Will’s best album and I hope he follows up on it.

I've been on a huge John Mayer kick lately so here's all of his albums.

cdmayersquares.jpg

John Mayer- Room For Squares

6/10

A solid album for a debut. It's of course nowhere near the level of his newer albums lyrically or guitar-wise, but it's got some "classics" on it. There are a few "filler" songs in my opinion that can be skipped over, but there are also some that you can listen to over and over.

Standout Tracks: Why Georgia, Neon, 3x5, No Such Thing

heavier.JPEG

John Mayer- Heavier Things

8/10

Big step-up from Room For Squares, but still has the "filler" type songs. This was a step out of the more "pop-y" sound and a step into his more complex sounding songs. Starts out strong, but begins to die down a bit towards the end.

Standout Tracks: Clarity, New Deep, Daughters, Come Back To Bed

314A3E6X2BL._SS260_.jpg

John Mayer- Continuum

9/10

Easily his best effort yet. It's got a lot more different sound than any of his other albums. There isn't a song up here that I don't like. It is just flat-out mindblowing. He gets much more complex with the guitar stuff this time, letting his talents show more so than the past few albums.

Standout Tracks: The Heart of Life, Vultures, Gravity, Belief, Stop This Train

Don't particularly feel like going into avid detail, but I'll definately explain if asked. My favorite albums of 2007 so far...yes, in order:

1st. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

(favorites: "Dashboard", "Florida", "Missed The Boat", "Little Motel", "Spitting Venom", "People As Places As People", & "Invisible")

Tied-2nd. They Might Be Giants - The Else

(favorites: "I'm Impressed", "With The Dark", "The Shadow Government", "Bee of the Bird of the Moth", "Withered Hope", & "The Mesopotamians")

Tied-2nd. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

(favorites: "Hyperpower", "Survivalism", "Vessel", "Me, I'm Not", "Capitol G", & "Another Version of the Truth")

Tied-3rd. Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion

(favorites: "The Devil & Me", "Electric Worry", "One Eye Dollar", & "Black Umbrella")

Tied-3rd. Norah Jones - Not Too Late

(favorites: "Wish I Could", "Thinking About You", "Be My Somebody", & "Rosie's Lullaby")

4. Static-X - Cannibal

5. Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up

6. Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight

7. Chris Cornell - Carry On

8. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient

9. Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

10. Type O Negative - Dead Again

11. Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain

12. The White Stripes - Icky Thump

13. Hellyeah - Hellyeah

14. Megadeth - United Abominations

15. Marylin Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me

Decided to listen to Queen's first 6 albums today.

Queen - Queen: 7/10

Favourite Song: Keep Yourself Alive

Queen - Queen II: 7.5/10

Favourite Songs: Ogre Battle and Seven Seas of Rhye

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack: 8.5/10

Favourite Songs: Killer Queen and Brighton Rock

Queen - A Night At The Opera: 10/10

Favourite Songs: everyone is brilliant, but Bohemian Rhapsody and Prophet's Song are the standouts.

Queen - A Day At The Races: 8.5/10

Favourite Song: Tie Your Mother Down

Queen - News Of The World: 7.5/10

Favourite Song: Spread Your Wings

200px-Special_Occasion_Cover.jpg

Bobby Valentino - Special Occasion

Best Tracks: Rearview (Ridin') ft. Ludacris, Home Is Where You Belong, Only Human, Let Him Go ft. Fabulous

9/10

200px-Omarion_album_21.jpg

Omarion - 21

Best Tracks: Do It, Been With A Star

7.5/10

Marcus Davis Jr. - Homemade

Best Tracks: All I Want, Drop It, Thing Called Love, My Woman

10/10

More Queen! (*sigh*, I have no life to be listening to this many albums a day)

Queen - Jazz: 8/10

Favourite Songs: Bicycle Race and Fat Bottomed Girls

Queen - The Game: 9/10

Favourite Songs: Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Don't Try Suicide

Queen - Flash Gordan: 5/10

Only Good Song: Flash's Theme

Queen - Hot Space: 8/10

Favourite Songs: Calling All Girls and Under Pressure

Queen - The Works: 7/10

Favourite Songs: I Want To Break Free and Hammer To Fall

Queen - A Kind Of Magic: 6.5/10

Favourite Song: A King Of Magic

Queen - Live Magic: 7/10

Favourite Songs: Tie Your Mother Down

UNKLE - War Stories

10/10

Never heard of UNKLE besides "Rabbit In My Headlights" featuring Thom Yorke a few years ago. I downloaded the album on the recommendation of a poster at Echoing The Sound (a Nine Inch Nails fan board), and on the knowledge that Ian Astbury of The Cult and Josh Homme of the Queens Of The Stone Age guested on the album. Download it, it's worth the time.

The Ataris - Welcome The Night

8/10

Seriously, this is the band that once sang "In This Diary"? Wow. They've matured, both in lyrics and song structure. Great album, in my top 5 of the year for sure.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist

6/10

I originally thought "Bleeding The Orchid" would be an album stealing track, when I heard it on the Rock am Ring 2007 bootleg. But then the album version came out, and it's just... flat, for lack of a better term. The whole album is great as a whole, but if you take out "Bleeding The Orchid" and "That's The Way (My Love Is)", you'd have a better album. After "Tarantula" the album gets a whole lot better. "Pomp & Circumstance" blows, although the guitar work is spot-on.

So much Queen in just 4 days.

Queen - Live At The BBC: 7/10

Favourite Songs: Keep Yourself Alive and Great King Rat

Queen - The Miracle: 6/10

Favourite Song: The Invisible Man and I Want It All

Queen - Innuendo: 7.5/10

Favourite Songs: Innuendo and I Can't Live With You

Queen - Live At Wembly: 9/10

Favourite Songs: A Kind Of Magic, Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are The Champions

Just 1 more Studio album and the Greatest Hits albums to go.

The White Stripes

Icky Thump

8.5/10

"And if you're testing God

Lying to his face

You're gonna catch hell."

The White Stripes are unpredictable. After hearing the brilliance of Get Behind Me Satan, which was their most bizarre and experimental record to date, while still banging out those classics we love. Icky Thump bangs out those classics and limits the experimentation. Yeah, there is prog-rock, Scottish folk anddd they use trumpets and mariachi brass, but outside of that, tracks such as Rag & Bone, Bone Broke, Little Cream Soda could end up on any White Stripes album. But with the White Stripes, they have to hammer out a classic. And here, ultimately, I'd say they managed to create three songs which stand above the rest. You Don't Know What Love Is is instantly catchy and deserves to be the second single off the album. Catch Hell Blues is probably the best song on the album, in my mind. Its straight up blues, and it reminds me oh so much of why I fell in love with that girl that Jack White asked me to so long ago. And Cause and Effect ends the CD just the way they always should - on a light hearted note.