What music are you listening to?

Benji

Tuvan folk music and throat singing by the Tuva Ensemble. This shit is god damn magical.

Check out Yat-Kha, Sainkho Namtchylak or Kongar-ol-Ondar. All brilliant, but vastly different, takes on Tuvan throat singing. Sainkho is a particular favourite of mine, although Kongar-ol-Ondar have one of my favourite album titles in "Back Tuva Future".

Tuvan folk music and throat singing by the Tuva Ensemble. This shit is god damn magical.

Check out Yat-Kha, Sainkho Namtchylak or Kongar-ol-Ondar. All brilliant, but vastly different, takes on Tuvan throat singing. Sainkho is a particular favourite of mine, although Kongar-ol-Ondar have one of my favourite album titles in "Back Tuva Future".

Yeah, Kongar-ol Ondar was what got me hooked on it. I couldn't find his Back Tuva Future album on Spotify, so I went with the next best thing; Tuva Ensemble and Huun-huur-tur.

Way to Normal by Ben Folds is weird. The music is great, but the lyrics I could sort of do without most of the time. Like, "Effington" sounds gorgeous when Ben Folds isn't singing over it. I would maybe buy an instrumental version of this record.

the new Of Montreal album's pretty good. It's like Skeletal Lamping in style, but much less schizophrenic - that album felt like practically every song had been thrown together from snippets of other songs, which was wonderful, but this one has much more defined "songs", and while it's probably not as strong an album, it's a good dance-y awkward indie pop album, and will probably grow on me a lot. Some suitably ridiculous lyrics, as ever.

New Black Mountain I'm undecided on. It just doesn't seem as interesting as their past stuff. Really nothing has jumped out at me at all.

The new Vaselines album is brilliant. And it bloody should be after so long. Really great stuff, though, as expected.

Undecided on new Grinderman - it's obviously very good, but nothing's jumped out as a stand-out track anything like "No Pussy Blues" on the first album. Either way, can't see it being too far from my playlists for the next couple of weeks.

I'm grateful that they are free, but these new songs that the Smashing Pumpkins are releasing for Teargarden by Kaleidoscope keep getting shitter. The latest one ("Spangled") is available exclusively on sweetrelief.org. It actually sounds like he uses MIDI sounds.

Then again the first release "A Song for a Son" was magnificent, but still. Each one has been worse than the one before it.

Edited by TheModernWay

"Mouth To Mouth" is the best track off the new album. The stand-outs from the first album are "Molly's Lips", "Teenage Superstar", "Son Of A Gun" and "The Day I Was A Horse".

Yeah, I was always familiar with the Nirvana cover, which I love, so it's weird hearing the original in comparison (the "Son of a Gun" cover vs. original thing is less jarring), but it's really good.

Skummy is right on Sex With An X, this is very good. This is making me oddly nostalgic for '90s Seattle, I guess because of the Nirvana connection but also because of the general atmosphere of the music.