Halloween Horror Movie Mania

Dr. Rated-R

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cemetary Man.

I implore you to find this movie, although you might have to settle for VHS. The movie is absolutely hilarious in the vein of Army of Darkness or Evil Dead 2. In fact, Cemetary Man does draw a few paralells with the Evil Dead series in it's humor, protagonist's one liners, and absurd gore.

The movie is a lot of fun and you'll find yourself laughing quite a bit throughout.

I was just thumbing through a magizine I found around my house, and it has Bruce Campbell's (Evil Dead) top nine (Why the fuck nine?) horror movies, so why the hell not?

1) The Haunting (1963)

2) The Excorsist (1973)

3) The Omen (1976)

4) The Tenant (1976)

5) The Hills Have Eyes (1978)

6) Halloween (1978)

7) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

8) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

9) Alien (1979)

Ok Hellraiser 2 is the worst movie I've ever seen. I hate whoever brought that up. The original had a messy plot and the second one is a cesspool of crap that makes little to no sense at all.

I second the recommendation for The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

I'd also recommend some of Mario Bava's horror work purely for its influence on the genre. Bava created the slasher flick with "Bay of Blood" (aka "Twitch of the Death Nerve") and "Planet of the Vampires" was practically stolen for Ridley Scott's "Alien".

"The Changeling" with George C. Scott is a clever little gem that's been ripped off left right and center as well.

I have to second "Last Man On Earth" and "The Corpse Vanishes". Can't believe I forgot those.

(Incidentally, Last Man On Earth and the Charlton Heston movie The Omega Man are both based off the same story, "My Name Is Legion", but Omega Man kinda sucks)

I'd also recommend any of the Hammer Dracula movies starring Christopher Lee, except Dracula 1972 A.D. and Satanic Rites of Dracula. They both suck ass, and Dracula is barely even in the latter. A.D. 1972 is somewhat watchable, but trust me and avoid Satanic Rites. Its not worth renting at all, and if you're a completist, wait until its aired on cable sometime.

If you're a Christopher Lee fan, also avoid the Howling II, unless you really want to see Sybil Danning nude. Lee must've really needed the money when he did that movie.

The two Count Yorga movies, starring Robert Quarry, are also good.

Question about the Zombie movies: I know that's where Rob Zombie got the makeup design for his Zombie gimmick (the Hellbilly Deluxe stuff), and there's something about zombies having nails driven through their skulls (the x scar\wound part of Rob's makeup), but.....

a. Are the movies just over the top gore, or do they actually have plots?

b. Is the nail through the skull thing part of the animation process, or how they're stopped?

Edited by GhostMachine

The Last Man on Earth is a great movie. I own it on a "Vincent Price Collection" DVD with House on Haunted Hill, The Bat, and Shock.

It's a collection I don't suggest because uh, the audio on House on Haunted Hill is waaaaay off from the video (and the whole point in buying it was for that movie >_<), but yeah, having Last Man on Earth on DVD is nice.

I particularly love the scene at the start where he goes to mark the day on the calendar. The make-shift calendars all just look so awesome.

But yeah. I'm working on putting the movies in a calendar for October in Excel and I've already realized I don't have anywhere near as much time as I'd like. I may switch it to two movies a day or stick with one but devote the weekends to several. I may upload it whenever I get something figured out.

Also uh, what are your opinions on Cronenburg's version of The Fly? </discussion> I'm thinking about adding it because I love it and I was just wondering EWB's general opinion on it.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

The Last Man on Earth is a great movie. I own it on a "Vincent Price Collection" DVD with House on Haunted Hill, The Bat, and Shock.

Also uh, what are your opinions on Cronenburg's version of The Fly? </discussion> I'm thinking about adding it because I love it and I was just wondering EWB's general opinion on it.

Edited by GhostMachine

The Bat is fair, but it's not a favorite Price film of mine. It's available here here from Public Domain Torrents if you want to watch it.

As for Shock, I haven't actually gotten around to watching it. I probably will tonight, since I've got nothing better to do.

I just bought a new copy of House on Haunted Hill on eBay, which I've been meaning to for a while now. I managed to get the one with commentary from Mike Nelson and a digitally colored version of the film. Which, if my copy of the Night of the Living Dead from the same company is any indication, should be quality.

I also bought The Tingler, another Price film. I haven't watched it but I've heard good stuff. Together it was around $15. I just hope the latter of the two is as good as the former.

EDIT - And speaking of The Fly 2, which I haven't watched, how the hell does Stathis manage to survive that ending and come back for part two? >_>

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar