Who makes the best literature?

Guest Ringmaster

Nobody can spell playwright!

And Shakespeare was fantastic. I mean, whenever I've read his stuff it seems like complete wank, but if you analyse what it is he's saying and bear in mind that he wrote it 400 or 500 years ago so the language is bound to be different, he's ace. Still, I don't like reading plays.

And Shakespeare was fantastic. I mean, whenever I've read his stuff it seems like complete wank, but if you analyse what it is he's saying and bear in mind that he wrote it 400 or 500 years ago so the language is bound to be different, he's ace. Still, I don't like reading plays.

Agreed. I used to hate Shakespeare, but having studied a few of his plays in the last year, and his word use for an essay in my second year at Uni, I quite like Shakespeare, but I just need to work to understand it.

John Steinbeck deserves a mention.

Great call, I was going to make mention of him myself.

I always enjoyed Walt Whitman, he was a great poet/writer.

Ken Kesey is another one I enjoy quite a bit. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest anybody?

Out of left field, I'll say that Richard Hell is a hell of a writer (no pun intended). He wrote a great book in "Go Now", albeit it is a bit short.

Oh wait, how did we not bring up J.D. Salinger?

To be fair, Salinger (I think) only wrote The Catcher in the Rye, but certainly that's a very classic book on its own right.

Never read it - it's not on the English English Literature curriculum.

Can't remember exactly what I read but I believe that for A Level (16-18 year old) we read: Tennyson & Browning poetry, "Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy, "The Alchemist" by Ben Jonson, the Introduction to the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer as well as "The Miller's Tale", "A Winter's Tale" and "King Lear" by Shakespeare and a few other novels I've forgotten.

A decent grounding but kinda wish I'd studied some English at University....

Oh wait, how did we not bring up J.D. Salinger?

To be fair, Salinger (I think) only wrote The Catcher in the Rye, but certainly that's a very classic book on its own right.

Never read it - it's not on the English English Literature curriculum.

Can't remember exactly what I read but I believe that for A Level (16-18 year old) we read: Tennyson & Browning poetry, "Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy, "The Alchemist" by Ben Jonson, the Introduction to the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer as well as "The Miller's Tale", "A Winter's Tale" and "King Lear" by Shakespeare and a few other novels I've forgotten.

A decent grounding but kinda wish I'd studied some English at University....