The Scottish Premier League Thread 06/07

The Kraig

I haven't seen a thread all season, so I thought I'd start one. Not been much to talk about. Until now obviously.

So far, St. Mirren made a surprising start, but now sit mid-table, which is still very good for them. And we're 10 matches in, no 2-5 matches. WHO'S GOING DOWN THIS SEASON?! :w00t: Also, anyone who suggests Rangers will be automatically banned from further discussion. I think it'll be Dunfermline. They've never looked like they belonged in the SPL. Ever.

Celtic and Rangers have been doing well in Europe, as expected, Hearts crashed out early, also as expected. Gretna (despite not being SPL) did alright in Europe, losing to some Northern Ireland team.

Celtic have been doing as expected in the league, Hearts have been playing just as well as they did last season, and Rangers are doing the same as last season (random periods of shitness).

It's pretty clear Paul Le Guen underestimated the SPL, and saw it as an easy challenge and an easy way of getting into Europe. Newsflash, Rangers lose for the first time ever to Inverness Caledonian Thistle, at Ibrox Stadium after Le Guen replaces player of the month, stand-in long-time reserve goalkeeper Allan McGregor with French pal Lionel Letizi, who has been wholly blamed for the goal.

Hmm. Not to sound knee-jerk, but if this kind of stupid management continues, I can't see Le Guen staying much longer. It's not like McGregor even gets enough time to prove his worth, and when he does, he drops him immediately for someone who hasn't proven anything to make me believe he deserves to be Rangers first-choice goalkeeper? Odd. And what the fuck happened to Stefan Klos? Seriously, is he dead?

In other notable news, which should please any Hearts fans, Tony Mobray has left Hibernian for West Brom. Why exactly, I'm not sure. He said he wanted to manage in the Premiership but...he went to West Brom. That seems a little contradictory. But if anyone can get WBA into the Premiership, and keep them there, it's probably Mobray. Hibs aren't that far off winning things, especially with the good youth system (which is priceless in Scotland).

I also hate the fact I have to pay to watch football nowadays. Setanta can suck my arse.

Edited by The Kraig

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Bleeding Heart Show of Ringy

How much Le Guen pay for Letizi? When I watched him play for PSG, the guy was pure shit. Remember Robinson's goal last week? Letizi did the same thing except he back heeled it into his net. And he did it three times in two seasons too.

If Letizi was more than free, Rangers were robbed >_>

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously wonder if Le Guen has a clue what he's doing. I mean, to drop McGregor, who's playing well, in favour of Letizi... why? Because he's French? You'd be as well awarding Celtic the title now, as Hearts are not playing well and are up shit creek in the dressing room, while Rangers are commiting hara-kiri with Le Guen's selection choices. Ah fuck it, Killie for Europe! <_<

The problem over the last few seasons is that, more often than not, Rangers have much more of a problem grinding out results than Celtic....and I don't really know why.

Throwing away a game at home when you go up against Motherwell is never going to be the sort of thing that will get Rangers back in a position to challenge, and they do things akin to this way too often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Earlier this week was a perfect example as to why Celtic are way too far ahead of Rangers. Celtic come from 2-2 down to draw with Dundee (it was Dundee, right), which although it was at home, still takes some doing. Celtic always look like they can grind out results. Rangers then have a chance to get some points back on Celtic, and lose to Inverness, a match that if they are going to make any inroads, is the sort of match they need to win. Player quality wise, Rangers aren't that far behind Celtic (apart from the odd player....Celtic having Gravesen and Nakamura for example), but they are still struggling to grind out results.

I also find it interesting that Celtic don't have a player in the top 5/6 or so of SPL Top Goalscorers.