The Scottish Premier League Thread 06/07

The Kraig

I knew I should have placed the bet the Mirror recommended for Le Guen to go ahead of Ferguson. Day later, bam, he went.

Oh, and Rangers were apalling against Dunfermline, really shocked at how they played when I watched it at work. Fought back, but leaving yourself a 3 goal mountain to climb is always going to be tough to get back at.

I actually woke up that day (I slept...a lot), put the TV on, it happened to be on Sky Sports 1, Rangers vs Dunfermline. Wahey. 3-0!? 3-FUCKING-0?! And it was only about 50 minutes gone.

I only saw the second half rapage Rangers had over the Pars. Thank God.

The only thing Rangers can do this season now is reclaim a Champions League spot. -__-

It was just really weird....when Rangers got going, they strolled all over them, but it took them until into the second half to do it. Celtic and Rangers have done that a few times this season, but Rangers seem to struggle to get out of those kinda situations.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Walter Smith has been confirmed as the new Rangers boss.

What.

The.

Fuck.

He's doing the best job with the national team that anyone has done in a very long time, he's got the respect of the whole country and the future looks bright... and he pisses all that away to return to club management, a club that is (let's face it) a bit shit and probably only second to Hearts in terms of being all over the fucking place with the players. It's not like he was on a small wage with the SFA (£400,000 was it?), and he's right in the middle of a qualifying campaign! Oh Walter... you've cocked it up big style mate.

So... new Scotland boss?

Smith did wonders for Rangers, he probably felt he should return to sort them out of the shit they were in. Scotland have been re-organised under his reign, so as long as they keep it going, they don't necessarily need Smith...and definitely don't need him as much as Rangers do.

So Walter Smith has been confirmed as the new Rangers boss.

What.

The.

Fuck.

He's doing the best job with the national team that anyone has done in a very long time, he's got the respect of the whole country and the future looks bright... and he pisses all that away to return to club management, a club that is (let's face it) a bit shit and probably only second to Hearts in terms of being all over the fucking place with the players. It's not like he was on a small wage with the SFA (£400,000 was it?), and he's right in the middle of a qualifying campaign! Oh Walter... you've cocked it up big style mate.

So... new Scotland boss?

Paul Le Guen?

Compensation has been agreed. Reportedly £400,000 but it's unconfirmed as of yet.

I'm not sure Moyes has what it takes to lead Scotland forward. We need someone who can carry on Walter Smith's run. But the question has to be asked, in this short time, has Walter Smith become Scotland's best ever manager?

If you mean Scotland, as in national team manager, then he's right up there despite his short time. Although Jock Stein's Scotland team were knocked out of the World Cup on goal difference by the USSR in 1982. I think that's the closest we've ever came to getting to the knockout stage of the World Cup. In fact, I think that's the only reason I know that.

As far as best Scottish manager ever...that is a hugely debatable topic. There's just so many legends. :)

• 1 month later...

That was a pretty dire game today. Only three players showed up today (McGregor and Hutton for Rangers and wee McGeady for Celtic). Celtic absolutely dominated the first half. To Rangers credit though, they stuck at it the whole game and never gave Celtic much of a chance (well, they had chances but blew them). Boruc looked uncomfortable after the goal and Evander Sno showed that he isn't ready for the first team yet. Wasn't the best game but it was worth waking up for I guess :P

Mind you, I don't care about the Old Firm :D

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a pretty predictable year. Celtic retain while Rangers restructure (again) but are (probably) back in the Champions League and Hearts fuck themselves over (again).

My picks to go down (Dunfermline) are hanging on and need to save themselves. They're 4 points behind St. Mirren.

Their next matches are vital:

St. Mirren vs Dunfermline

Dunfermline vs Motherwell

Inverness vs Dunfermline

Dunfermline vs Falkirk

The St. Mirren one is probably going to determine who stays up. If the Pars lose...I can't see they making up the 7 points from the next three games, especially ICT away. But it'll be interesting if they draw with St. Mirren.

Aberdeen are currently 3rd, giving them the best UEFA Cup spot, while Hearts occupy 4th, which is the UEFA Cup Qualifying Round or something. Hearts can still hop up to 3rd as they're only 4 points behind Aberdeen after beating Celtic yesterday. Their next fixtures are:

Hearts vs Aberdeen

Hearts vs Hibernian

Kilmarnock vs Hearts

They should do well at home, but still tough fixtures. Hibs have been playing better than Hearts this season, but are way behind in points somehow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hibs win though. Aberdeen don't have an easy run-in either, by any means:

Hearts vs Aberdeen

Celtic vs Aberdeen

Aberdeen vs Rangers

I think they'll be relying on beating or at least drawing with Hearts, and hoping for the best against the Old Firm.

And for those of you who don't know, Gretna HAVE won promotion to the SPL in the final minutes of the last game of the season, turning what would have been a draw into a win against Ross County (2-3), winning Division One by one point over St. Johnstone, who won their last match over Hamilton 3-4. Harsh for St. Johnstone, but Gretna have been the better team over the season.

For Rangers fans, we're 6 ahead of Aberdeen (who will be struggling with their hard fixtures), these are our remaining games:

Rangers vs Celtic

Rangers vs Kilmarnock

Aberdeen vs Rangers

Old Firm Derby is always hard, and Celtic getting bitchslapped by Hearts this weekend will only make it harder for us. It's also the last OFD of the season, which is always important, and some say is the most important. Kilmarnock will need to be a win to give us some security, and thankfully it's at Ibrox. And the Aberdeen/Rangers match may not mean anything by that stage, but if it does it will be an exciting end of the season to determine who will be Champions League qualifiers and who will be UEFA Cup qualifiers. Which I fully expect Rangers to win, due to the high pressure, and the fact Pittodrie will be packed with blue.

I really wish Setanta would stop hogging all the SPL games, I hardly get to see my own team anymore. Just European and cup competitions, and whatever I find on the internet. I'm seriously considering subscribing to Rangers TV. Or I'll be forced just to go watch their away games at Fir Park (which I could literally walk to).

Edited by The Kraig

4th place must be Intertoto then? Unlucky Hearts (or possibly Dons).

Yeah, 4th place must be Intertoto. Hibs finished 4th last season behind Rangers and were involved in the Intertoto this season. Where Gretna got the UEFA Cup spot, coming runner-up to the Scottish Cup, which Hearts couldn't take as they'd qualified for the CL. I thank you for making me look like a jackass. (¬_¬)

Edited by The Kraig