Emo makes it to number 1

DFF

seriously, you guys are so uninformed and willing to adhere to what's popularly conceived as emo. I've gotten into this before but 99% of the bands EWBers call "emo" are about as emo Wu-Tang Clan is heavy metal.

Emo = emotive/emotional hardcore

MCR = not hardcore. emotional/emotive, sure, but not hardcore.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not emo. Here I was thinking Dear Diary I'm Dead or Circle Takes The Square charted

CTTS are screamo, bitch.

because there's SUCH a difference :shifty:

CTTS are AWESOMEO

I'm pretty sure you didn't because I wound up ganking Hot Cross off another music forum while they were uploading stuff.

& yes I'm Cloudy

seriously, you guys are so uninformed and willing to adhere to what's popularly conceived as emo. I've gotten into this before but 99% of the bands EWBers call "emo" are about as emo Wu-Tang Clan is heavy metal.

Emo = emotive/emotional hardcore

MCR = not hardcore. emotional/emotive, sure, but not hardcore.

Or, you know, bands like JEW and The Promise Ring who were considered emo long before it became known as a bastardised offshot of Hardcore.

Except that it was a "bastardization" of hardcore long before JEW were around :| What the fuck are you smoking, Liam? It was a "bastardization of hardcore" by the mid 80's and JEW didn't form until 1993.

EDIT: Ever heard of Embrace? Rites of Spring? Moss Icon? Husker Du?

Stick with metal because when you talk about other genres you talk out of your ass.

Edited by CloudStrife Ate My Fucking Donut

Except that it was a "bastardization" of hardcore long before JEW were around :| What the fuck are you smoking, Liam? It was a "bastardization of hardcore" by the mid 80's and JEW didn't form until 1993.

EDIT: Ever heard of Embrace? Rites of Spring? Moss Icon? Husker Du?

Stick with metal because when you talk about other genres you talk out of your ass.

You trying to tell me Embrace or Husker Du are emo bands?

Fuck it, I assumed you meant Embrace the UK band >_>

I'm also talking about what "emo" has now come to stand for, when bands such as JEW and The Promise Ring were considered it years ago, when they weren't doing anything remotely relevant to hardcore.

Only recently has "emo" become a buzzword again for that type of music anyway.

As for sticking to metal, don't be a fucking retard just because someone challenges a point you made, which I'll add, dismissed 99% of the rest of us as idiots.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Embrace & Husker Du are two of the largest influences on emo alongside Fugazi. Admittedly most don't consider but one Husker Du album to be emo, but they influenced the likes of DC bands like Moss Icon & Gray Matter and are widely considered to be the "first wave of emo". JEW and the Promise Ring didn't come along until the mid/early 90's.

EDIT: You didn't challenge my point as much as you made baseless statement about when the genre came into existence. Like I said, emo was a "bastardized offshot" of hardcore nearly a decade before JEW or The Promise Ring came into existence. And no, my original point did not dismiss 99% of you as "idiots", I believe I said that 99% of you are uninformed about emo because you *are*. If you're going to rabble on about a genre at least know what you're talking about.

Edited by CloudStrife Ate My Fucking Donut

I love how people start crying about how "Rock is dead".

No, no it isn't. It's just changed.

If you don't like what it is now, go find something you do like or listen to some older music instead of crying about it.

I'd much rather have someone singing and using instruments to some random half naked nigger bitch singing about her ex-boyfriend or whatever shit those fucking zulus keep putting out.

Embrace & Husker Du are two of the largest influences on emo alongside Fugazi. Admittedly most don't consider but one Husker Du album to be emo, but they influenced the likes of DC bands like Moss Icon & Gray Matter and are widely considered to be the "first wave of emo". JEW and the Promise Ring didn't come along until the mid/early 90's.

As I noted, I thought you were somehow referencing the UK Embrace.

And my point was that what it is considered now isn't the same as it was considered in the mid 90's, which apparently wasn't the same as it was considered in the 80's (which I wasn't aware of). However, I've also said before that I won't argue what bands are or aren't emo, because genres change. JEW are emo, Finch are emo, The Promise Ring are emo and Taking Back Sunday and such are emo, genres change.

I just think its funny that a lot of people seem to miss out on the influx of emo bands in the mid 90's/late 90's that sound nothing that similar to either the early or the newer stuff, but was still considered it.

EDIT: Knowing what you are talking about meaning grabbing the Wikipedia article, ay? Since the bands you listed were conveniently all listed in that near the top.... Kinda like when you had the argument with me and Skummy about Joy Division, IIRC.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but you're the one who has come across (before I did it, as you seem to feel, with my post) as high and mighty about what people were arguing about.

Edited by Liam Byrne