Favorite Comic Book Writer?

Your Mom

Alias and Daredevil are my two favorite Bendis books, but USM is totally awesome. The New Avengers are anything but The Avengers, The Pulse was a weak sequel to Alias, and House Of M was two good issues and the rest was slow, boring, filler.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alias and Daredevil are my two favorite Bendis books, but USM is totally awesome. The New Avengers are anything but The Avengers, The Pulse was a weak sequel to Alias, and House Of M was two good issues and the rest was slow, boring, filler.

I'm on the fence about Civil War. I'm liking a lot of things, but I can see why people dislike it.

I'm interested to see where it's going, but I do despise Spider-Man revealing his identity. However, where it's gone after that has been pretty interesting because it's all about how he's questioning his decision to reveal his identity as well as questioning whether he's on the right side as well as Stark knowing things he shouldn't about Spider-Man.

Without a doubt, Astonishing is still the best comic on the market right now and has been since Joss started writing it. New Avengers is a great read, but it isn't The Avengers, if that makes sense. I don't like Wolverine being a part of the group, Spider-Man I can tolerate, but everyone else I'm liking because they're all pretty minor characters in the Marvel universe anyway.

Are there any decent (UK based) online shops that you use to buy comics?

There's a couple through eBay I use. A Place In Space is pretty good (link)) and they have their comics through Buy It Now, so no bidding on them. They're also my local store, and they're cool guys.

I've not found any online places in the UK that are that great. I just use town's Forbidden Planet store, and another backstreet comic book store.

I read the first volume of Astonishing X-Men, and didn't think it was too great. It was OK sure, but nothing special. I certainly haven't rushed out to buy the next tpb which I have done with other series.

My problem with The New Avengers is that I grew up reading The Avengers. At one point my Avengers collection was issue 25 through the end of the first series, all of the Heroes Reborn crap, and all of the third volume. Then came Bendis and Avengers Disassembled. He destroyed the group and rebuilt it into what he called at the time The Big Guns of Marvel. Except he then littered it with his personal faves like Luke Cage and Spider Woman. Now all this is fine, but it is NOT The Avengers. The feel, the look, the whole aspect of what made The Avengers is gone. I could accept Cage, Spider Woman, and Sentry, but Wolverine and Echo are not Avengers. It might be a good book, it might even be a fun and well written book, although I'd disagree, but it is not The Avengers. That's what I meant.

House Of M was a lot of pointless crap and a few major reveals and then "No More Mutants" and it was over.

And this leads me to my problem with all the Event Miniseries of late, they require another five or ten mini series and countless tie ins to get the whole story. Do you know why Jenkins is writing Front Lines? Because Millar can't handle the character pieces that need to be dealt with in something like this. The split down the middle of the world's super heroes is a big deal, and potentially a major story full of countless ramifications for the marvel universe, but he doesn't have the talent to write it. He writes the big moments, and others need to do the smaller more intimate character changing moments that define what a story is. House Of M also featured a ton of minis to finish the story, something that shouldn't be needed.

Finally to Hamster, 100 Bullets is golden. The first trade of Lovelss is either out or about to come out. And if you don't or haven't I would so suggest you try BKV's Y, The Last Man.

Actually House of M did not need those mini's, they simply expanded on th central point. If you wanted to know what Hulk was doing during the main thru-line then you could read it, same thing with the others. There wasn't any information you needed from the spinoffs that wasnt in the main story.

And it's not the same Avengers, hense the New Avengers name. I grew up on The Avengers too and Avengers Disassembled pissed me off, but I still loved it. I dunno, I guess I'm just not a traditionalist when it comes to those things, I welcome change.

Oh and if you wanna read something funny read the comic which Frank Castle goes to Sunnydale. Funny Funny stuff. Also Cable & Deadpool is probably the second funniest comic out right now besides Nextwave, which was cancelled apparently. Invincible is also probably my favorite ongoing book too.

Having never read Cable and Deadpool or Invincible, I might look up the trades. I know Invincible has a big collection for like $25 collecting something like the first 15 or issues. I take it that it's worth it?

And I have welcomed some change in the past on my favorite comics, including The FF over the years, Justice League, and many others, but I do hate it when they do stupid things with Spidey (see anything since The Clone Saga on) and yes, The Avengers. I don't like the concept of The New Avengers, so maybe that is why I dislike the book. That said, this new Mighty Avengers books might be my cup of tea, as it looks like a more traditional take on the team.

And The Punisher vs. Archie is golden.

I'm here to back up Cable and Deadpool. At first, I just liked it for the histerical humour, but when you read more you realise just how good the plotting is too, and its all well written. The civil war tie-in was good, and their three civil war tie in issues EDIT - DON'T include a lot of the main civil war stuff, so even if you don't like Civil war, its worth the read. I love Cable and Deadpool.

Partly because Deadpool is fucking awesome.

And Cable is good.

Edited by timmayy rave

I know this is highly unlikely, but I was wondering if there was a site or something where I cold real old comics online or something, as I want to read comics but not owning one and not having an income I want to find some other way to get into it.

I know this is highly unlikely, but I was wondering if there was a site or something where I cold real old comics online or something, as I want to read comics but not owning one and not having an income I want to find some other way to get into it.

My mate found a torrent with all of the Civil War comics in. So if you search the regular torrent sites you should be able to find some comics floating about.