2006/07 NBA Thread

JStarr

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm somewhat disappointed with the way the Nets have been performing this season. Sure there have been struggles and injury problems. I'm just hoping things turn around and we make a push in the Atlantic when Richard Jefferson comes back.

Oh yeah, if Kidd or Carter get traded I'll be really unhappy and see no reason to go to a game this year and perhaps next.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the way the Nets have been performing this season. Sure there have been struggles and injury problems. I'm just hoping things turn around and we make a push in the Atlantic when Richard Jefferson comes back.

Oh yeah, if Kidd or Carter get traded I'll be really unhappy and see no reason to go to a game this year and perhaps next.

If the Nets trade Kidd for what the Lakers are supposedly peddling, there'll be a few thousand other people that won't see any reason to go to a game ever again. Mr. Triple Double for Luke Walton, Jordan Farmar, and other assorted spare parts? If that trade went down, it would officially signal that winning means nothing in Jersey. Even if they get Andrew Bynum, which still appears to be the big sticking point...ugh.

Over here in Cleveland I am hearing tons of trade rumors but I dont even know if any of them will go down. I have heard alot of talk about getting Bibby and filler for Gooden and some one like snow altough that trade would likely include a third team, rumored to be minn. or the Bulls to even things out a bit. Along with that I have heard some Kidd to Cleveland talk also but I think that has a minimal chance at happening unless the Cavs give up more then they need to. The latest rumors have Marcus Banks heading to the Cavs for some expiring contracts and I am not even sure if I would want that to happen since I dont really think Banks would be much of an upgrade. In the end I hope the Cavs are able to get one of the PG's since likely with one of them they would be legit title contenders with a legit PG.

After an uneventful trade deadline, I found this bit of news interesting.

Price Too Steep

Feb 23 - As it turns out, the Magic did indeed ask about Nets star Vince Carter before the trade deadline.

GM Otis Smith, curiously, revealed this tidbit after Thursday's practice at RDV after swearing for days that there was nothing going on with Carter. -- Orlando Sentinel

# The Orlando Magic rejected a potential trade earlier this week to get New Jersey Nets all-star Vince Carter because they were unwilling to bundle a package of players that included Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza and Hedo Turkoglu.

"Yes, I talked to Rod Thorn about that [Vince Carter trade]," Magic GM Otis Smith said Thursday. "I won't get into the particulars, but the price was too steep."

A source in the Eastern Conference with knowledge of the talks between the two teams, confirmed that the Nets were asking for Milicic, Ariza and Turkoglu. -- Orlando Sentinel

# Isiah Thomas denied reports that he and Nets president Rod Thorn got as far as discussing a potential deal.

"No, I didn't make an offer," Thomas said. "We did our homework, just like we did our homework on every other player." -- Newsday

Now, if this trade were on the table then I'd say Orlando made a mistake. I understand they don't want to mortgage their future, but are Darko or Ariza ever going to be great? My guess is that they will never make an impact like a Vince Carter, especially with some of the other talents on the team like Howard, Hill, Nelson, and Arroyo. Besides that, with Hill's contract coming off the books they could have had the cash to re-sign Carter. The Magic could have used the boost with the slump they've been in.

You say that like Turkoglu is in his early 20s. He's only two years younger than VC. It's the other players that were mentioned that are deemed our 'future'. Personally I would have done it because Ariza and Milicic aren't great players at the moment and I don't think we'd miss them much. Turkoglu would be a loss, yeah, but VC would have made up for it and then some. Plus, we already have some quality young players in Howard and Nelson. I don't think it would have damaged our future much if at all if we'd have gone through with it.

Really it depends on the type of Carter that you are getting, if you get an unhappy Carter then obviously the trade wouldnt work out to well but if they were able to please Carter enough in Orlando then they trade would have worked out well for them and correct me if I am worng but isnt Carter's contract expiring or cant he opt out after this season that could be another reason that they didnt make the trade. If it was just a rental for a couple of months that wouldnt be worth trading the guys away since the Magic probably arent going to the finals this year.