2006/07 NBA Thread

JStarr

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal for Philly, Miller is a solid PG, Smith is expiring and they got 2 1st's, can't ask for much more....Horrible deal for Denver, Melo and AI is about the worst combo you can put together and will cause serious chemistry problems.

I like the trade for Denver. They've basically been spinning their wheels the last couple of years, and adding a piece like Iverson could potentially make them an elite team. They really didn't give much up either for a guy that is a future hall of famer and somehow manages to play at an incredible level well into his 30's.

On another note, just to touch base on my own team, I'm really feeling good about the Pistons right now. We have a guy by the name of Jason Maxiell that is going to emerge as a damn good PF. As of now, he's probably our best reserve (sorry McDyess, but the slow start is hurting you) with the energy he brings. He contests every shot, he fights for every rebound, and unlike Ben Wallace (who Maxiell is very similar to, hard working but under sized PF) he is a threat on offense. In fact, he hit the game winning jumper against Seattle in our last win. Unfortunately it fucking took a Rasheed Wallace injury for Flip Saunders to see that this Maxiell guy can play. Honestly Flip, why hasn't this guy been getting significant time since the begining of the year? EH FLIP!?

I like what Skip Bayless and the 2 Live Stews said about the trade during 1st and 10 on Cold Pizza:

The only way it turns out to be a good trade for the Sixers is if they turn out to be one of the worst teams in the NBA so they can move up in the draft rankings, and the owner should probably tell the coach to not exactly intentionally blow a few games, as much as not try too hard to win some of them. Otherwise, its a bad deal, because AI was about the only Sixer most people can name, and there are probably going to be a few season ticket holders who are going to be beyond pissed as a result of the trade.

Personally, I think its a good trade for Denver, but they probably should have gotten some defense instead.

Oh, and Skip got his tighty-whiteys in a wad over the possibility of Steve Nash winning a third straight MVP award, because that would put him in some pretty elite company and he'd be the only one to win 3 consecutive MVP awards but not an NBA title. (Moses Malone is the only other player besides Nash to win consecutive titles but no NBA championship, but he only won 2 consecutive, not 3)

Not real sure the Sixers really have to worry about trying to drop a few games. With as little talent as they have, 25 wins would be a big achievement right now.

With the Nuggets adding Iverson, they might be able to outscore anyone east of Phoenix, so defense could be pretty optional.

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the Bulls-Bobcats game, and I am really, really excited about Tyrus Thomas and Thabo for the Bulls. Wow.

Tyrus is Posey's bitch.

Suns and Mavs are amazing but I'm pretty excited by the T'wolves. Garnett is finally getting some help from Ricky Davis. Mike Davis is hitting some shots and Blount has played better than I would have expected (although I don't think that'll continue for the rest of the season). They're not there yet, but exciting all the same. The Nuggets will be alot of fun to watch after Carmello returns to see how they can cooperate with squeezing in another 20 shots somewhere.

Damned odd to hear "the Raptors" and "division lead" in the same sentence. At least without the words "31 games out of" somewhere involved.

At some point the Nets have to wake up and start playing to what they're capable of but the Raptors aren't really that bad. Bosh is a marquee player and I like TJ Ford alot. Fred Jones is an exciting player although I think he's hurt at the moment. If they were playing in a stronger division obviously they'd struggle but I dunno, the Raptors are a fun team.

What does everyone expect from the Heat after Shaq gets back?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Serrafin

I just watched the Bulls-Bobcats game, and I am really, really excited about Tyrus Thomas and Thabo for the Bulls. Wow.

Tyrus is Posey's bitch.

Suns and Mavs are amazing but I'm pretty excited by the T'wolves. Garnett is finally getting some help from Ricky Davis. Mike Davis is hitting some shots and Blount has played better than I would have expected (although I don't think that'll continue for the rest of the season). They're not there yet, but exciting all the same. The Nuggets will be alot of fun to watch after Carmello returns to see how they can cooperate with squeezing in another 20 shots somewhere.

Damned odd to hear "the Raptors" and "division lead" in the same sentence. At least without the words "31 games out of" somewhere involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the Heat and Pistons will meet in the Conference Championship this year. I like both Washington and Chicago this year a lot more than I have in previous years. If Chicago gets Gasol we could be seeing them finally having that missing piece.

But the West, at least right now, is so much more intriguing man. Sure it's slightly overrated by the media about how good it is. But it's still a deeper conference by 3 or 4 teams. The Mavs have to be my favorite to win it all this year. And my dark horse pick in Houston also comes out of the West. Plus, you can never, ever doubt San Antonio come the playoffs.