Grand Theft Auto III

Vilge Duin

I just finished Bully the other day, and decided to play through San Andreas again. I'm also going to pick up Vice City cheaply again to play some of that.

But of all the GTA games (including the first two) I haven't played III since I got my PS2 right around the time Vice City came out and never felt the need to play III. I was just wondering if it would be worth it just to see what it's like, as I've heard varying things about whether it's still decent or not.

Are the missions and overall story worth playing even now? I know the gameplay isn't as refined as the latter two (motorcycles, swimming, etc.), I just want to know if would be worth my time to play.

As someone who's played GTA since the first one came out, GTA III will always have a special place in my sandbox loving heart as one of the best GTAs ever.

I prefer Vice City but III had that certain magic to it as you popped the disc in for the first time and drove that teal peice of shit to your hideout with 8-Ball. So basically my GTA on the PS2 rankings go like so, Vice > III > SA > ______ Stories.

Playing through III again right now myself, actually. As long as you don't dwell on the things that Whathisnuts can't do that Carl Johnson can, the game's still fun like no other. I did get spoiled by the big-name soundtracks, though. Playing III, about all I listen to is Lazlow.

I actually have a weird love for the Portland Island. I actually love that place. Some of the missions om the first Island are tremendous, and sometimes if I have a free day and nothing to do, I just play the first Island again and spend time just driving round and doing crazy stuff. GTA3 will always be special to me, because its the first game of its type I really enjoyed, and it was the first PS2 game I got and fell totally in love with it.

I actually prefer the soundtrack to that than I do Vice, and a hell of a lot more than I like San Andreas too.

Fucking great game overall, and thinking about it gives me a huge case of rose-tinted nostalgia.

After playing San Andreas, both GTA III and Vice seem shit because of some of the things mentioned like swimming, but they're fine once you get used to them again. Also, an important thing to consider is what gangster genre you like. III is all about the many different types of gangs; Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, Cartels, Yardies and Diablos, whereas Vice City is more orientated on a few key characters. San Andreas is on a larger scale entirely.

Edited by Anothername

Ive got GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and LCS and i have to say that III is good, but i could not get back into it again because of the features of San Andreas, which i still play daily, but the rankings for me would go like this

BEST: San Andreas

Vice City

GTA III

LCS