ratm_ratm.jpg

Rage Against The Machine's Rage Against The Machine

(Self titled)

Edited by Steaming Pile Of Shit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also 12 years old, from an era where rap sucked far far less.

In fairness, a lot of Nas's newer material has gotten decent mainstream play and from hearing tracks like his recently leaked "Hip Hop is Dead", he certainly hasn't lost the gift of rhyme.

I'm not saying that Nas sucks now compared to 12 years ago, I'm saying the industry as a whole got a whole hell of a lot worse.

Consider the Chicken Noodle Soup song, Chain Hang Low, that R&B song about oral, anything Dem Franchise Boyz ever touched, Laffy Taffy. Shit, I could keep going for a while...

Ready To Die at #12 ... very nice. Least rap got a couple in here.

The third lot of the list:

9th Equal

nin_downwardspiral.jpg

Nine Inch Nail's The Downward Spiral

9th Equal

vu_an.jpg

The Velvet Underground's The Velvet Underground & Nico

8th

AliceInChains_dirt.jpg

Alice In Chain's Dirt

7th

beatles_abbeyroad.jpg

The Beatles' Abbey Road

6th

Nirvana_nevermind.jpg

Nirvana's Nevermind

4th Equal

beatles_revolver.jpg

The Beatles' Revolver

4th Equal

jam_travel.jpg

Jamiroquai's Travelling Without Moving

Final Three coming, probably tommorow.

Aside from Nine Inch Nails, a good assortment. Love for the Velvets making the top ten.

EDIT: I maintain that the top three will be completely retarded.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Aside from Nine Inch Nails, a good assortment. Love for the Velvets making the top ten.

EDIT: I maintain that the top three will be completely retarded.

I generally think that this list is actually pretty good so far... but "Aside from Nine Inch Nails"...? You're kidding right?

I don't like the Beatles or their music, but I respect that they belong on this list. The Downward Spiral is one of the most defining albums of the 90's, and I find it downright odd that someone can actually say "Aside from Nine Inch Nails"...

It's pretty easy when you look at the list from a quality standpoint, since in my opinion. NIN is pretentious angsty dreck filled to the brim with cheesy lyrics.

If you go by IMPACT? Well. Not in the top ten, no. Yes, it is a defining album of the 90s and it influenced music that came after it. Of course, none of this was in a good way but I suppose you could say much of the same about Nirvana too.

Thank God for the Velvets and for Jeffy B, and to a lesser extent The Beatles (although anyone could've guessed they'd have made it). NIN are a good band, but certainly nowhere near top 25 albums material.

AND THE FINAL THREE:

3rd

Metallica_MasterofPuppets.jpg

Metallica's Master of Puppets

When it was released, Master of Puppets provided many metal fans with an alternate image to the commercially visible pop metal sounds of the era (Poison, Mötley Crüe, and Quiet Riot) - it sold over half a million copies at its time of release without any major video/radio airplay. The album is often credited for innovating thrash metal, while also frequently being tagged by critics as 'one of the most influential heavy metal albums of all time.'

The band's line-up during the album's recording was James Hetfield (vocals, guitar), Lars Ulrich (drums), Kirk Hammett (lead guitar), and the late Cliff Burton (bass). The album is remembered in part due to the death of Burton shortly after the release of the album in a bus accident while supporting it on the Damage Inc. Tour.

With Master Of Puppets, Metallica innovated the thrash metal scene by adding a high level of complexity to the songs, melodic sounds (most notably in Battery, Master Of Puppets and Orion) that showed some similarities with power metal and progressive metal, playing an important role for the later post-thrash creation.

2nd

Metallica_BlackAlbum.jpg

Metallica's Metallica

(The Black Album)

The Black Album was a controversial album amongst fans of the band. While the album and the band were critically and commercially praised, some fans expressed disappointment and even outrage at the new direction taken by Metallica. Gone, for the most part, were the faster staccato riffs during verses and throaty screaming found on the first four albums. The Black Album presented a more radio-friendly, commercially accessible Metallica, evidenced by the ballad "Nothing Else Matters". Moreover, following the success of "One," the breakaway single from their ...And Justice For All album, five videos were released from the Black Album. ("Enter Sandman", "Nothing Else Matters", "Sad But True", "Wherever I May Roam" and "The Unforgiven").

The Black Album stands as a dividing point for Metallica fans. Its supporters claim that it is still a "heavy" album. Songs as "Holier Than Thou", "Through The Never", and "The Struggle Within" and showing Metallica still had elements of the 'thrash' genre's strict limitations on what is "metal" and what is not. On the other hand, detractors pointed at the ballads "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven" as signs that Metallica were more interested in commercial gain, than they were in catering exclusively to their original underground fan base.

The lyrics of the Black Album were much more personal and introspective in nature (from the singer and lyricist James Hetfield - a trait that would continue on subsequent Metallica albums). For example, "The God That Failed" dealt with his mother's death from cancer and her Christian Science beliefs which kept her from seeking medical treatment. "Nothing Else Matters" expresses the connection he felt with his soulmate while out on the road. The album also ended Metallica's tradition of including a lengthy instrumental track on each album.

When the song "Enter Sandman" was ranked by VH1 as one of the greatest metal songs of all time, Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian criticized people who claimed Metallica sold out by saying, "Why? Just because 10 million people went out and bought this record?"

1st

gr_appetite.jpg

Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction

Appetite for Destruction was rock and roll band Guns N' Roses' debut album. Beginning with the hit "Welcome to the Jungle", Appetite for Destruction combined elements of metal, punk rock, blues and classic, anthemic choruses. The album was a #1 American hit and worldwide sales exceeded 25 million. It is an RIAA Certified Diamond Album.

While the songwriting credits are indiscriminately credited to all five band members, many of the songs were solo tracks that individual band members wrote in the pre-GNR era. These songs include "It's So Easy" and "Nightrain" (McKagan), "Mr. Brownstone", "Anything Goes" and "Think About You" (Stradlin). "Rocket Queen" and "Paradise City" were unfinished Rose/McKagan and Rose/Stradlin demos respectively that the band fleshed out in its early days.

Other songs on the album reflect the band's reaction to the debauchery of the L.A. rock and roll underground, such as "Welcome to the Jungle" (ironically, Axl Rose wrote the lyrics while in Seattle) and "Out Ta Get Me", as well their assorted female companions, reflected in the songs "Sweet Child O' Mine", "My Michelle", and "You're Crazy."

The album is among the best selling albums in history; at least 15 million copies were sold in United States alone. However, one year after it was released in 1987, the album had sold only 500,000 copies. MTV refused to play any Guns N' Roses videos because of the album's original cover. Based on the Robert Williams painting Appetite for Destruction, it depicted a robot rapist about to be punished by a toothy metal avenger. The band compromised and put the original cover art inside, replacing it with a cover depicting a cross and skulls of the five band members (Rose has this design tattooed on his right forearm), somewhat like Grateful Dead album artwork. This compromise was not good enough for MTV, and the network continued the video ban. Finally, David Geffen, then- president of Geffen Records called MTV and begged them to play the Welcome to the Jungle video. MTV agreed to play it once, at 2 o'clock in the morning. The song became MTV's #1 most requested song in 24 hours.

In 2001, Q magazine named Appetite for Destruction as one of the 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time. In 2003, the TV network, VH1, named Appetite for Destruction the 42nd greatest album of all time. Rolling Stone ranked it at #61 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

The text was modified from Wikipedia entrys.

Also notice, The first post because an album was left out by accident.....No one commented that there were only 24 albums... :P