The Sims 2

Benji

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

University is the best one, I feel...Nightlife isn't bad (although my computer's not the best, so I very very rarely "go out" because it takes forever to load), and Pets is fun for about a half hour...and then you realize that by having a pet, you get all the hassle of keeping a simulated life form's needs met while missing out on 99% of the fun. It's vaguely funny the first time a dog chews on the couch, or a cat decides to have a snack from an unfinished dinner plate...after that it's just "oh, there's Otis."

Yea me too. I hate havin to switch views to see whats happening up/downstairs. Did anyone try to make their house, im in the process of doing it know and its look pretty good

I tried to, once.

The whole problem is that there's a hallway that run's next to a a diaganol wall(sorry for the spelling, it's late damnit :shifty: ); while this isn't too much of a problem, it is when on the otherside of it is the kitchen and the counters. Thus, it's impossible to turn the counter's so they'd be the right way without throwing off the balance of my family room.

One thing I DID do, though, is actually made real houses into Sim versions. In November of '05 my sister handed me a couple of Better Homes and Gardens magazines that were nothing but layouts for homes, so I decided to start making those. That worked out pretty well.

Yea me too. I hate havin to switch views to see whats happening up/downstairs. Did anyone try to make their house, im in the process of doing it know and its look pretty good

I tried to, once.

The whole problem is that there's a hallway that run's next to a a diaganol wall(sorry for the spelling, it's late damnit :shifty: ); while this isn't too much of a problem, it is when on the otherside of it is the kitchen and the counters. Thus, it's impossible to turn the counter's so they'd be the right way without throwing off the balance of my family room.

One thing I DID do, though, is actually made real houses into Sim versions. In November of '05 my sister handed me a couple of Better Homes and Gardens magazines that were nothing but layouts for homes, so I decided to start making those. That worked out pretty well.

Ahhh, coo, thanks for the info. As for the good free stuff, any good sites to find this stuff or just search around?

My favorite site is www.modthesims2.com , and to a lesser extent, it's 'adult' spin-off www.sexysims2.com. you gotta register for both, like a message board, but besides that, they both have tons and tons of stuff.

Can someone explain to me how Michaela LeStrange (black own created sim) and Herb Oldie (a sim that's already in Pleasantview and is white) had a pure white child? I thought that DNA and bits were meant to be passed on?

Father's gene is dominant.

Is it always?

I'm not sure on that, but I think it's always DOMINANT. Remember back to biology this stands for most things, but not all... that's how you can get mixed kids sometimes and such, but it's not odd to have an interrace relations and have the baby be pure A or pure B either.

I think it might be random, but it's going to be one skin color or the other. If someone with the lightest skin has a baby with someone with the darkest skin, the kid's gonna have either the lightest skin or the darkest skin. The game can't do 'mixed' skin tones(at least not from in-game genetics)

When it comes to genetics, I know at least with hair that the darker tone is dominant, so that may be true with skin as well. I know this is how it works with hair (using a Punnett Square):

b = blonde

B = black

The first person's parents both had blonde hair, thus they are bb

The second person's parents both had black hair, thus they are BB

'''''''| B | B |

-----------------

b | bB | bB |

-----------------

b | bB | bB |

Thus the child of these two people would have black hair, with a blonde recessive gene present. Now have this person have children with a person whose parents both had blonde hair:

''''''''| b | B |

----------------

b | bb | bB |

----------------

b | bb | bB |

Thus there is a 50/50 chance of a blonde child or a black-haired child.

This is simplified to the max, since it's almost impossible to have a person with only black or only blonde hair genes. But that's how it works. I don't know if it's the same with skin colour, but if it is, then there's your answer.

EDIT: Stupid formatting. You get what I mean.

FURTHER EDIT: I realise the genetics lesson may have hijacked the topic a bit, so I'll move back on topic.

I find all my houses are a similar floorplan, and they're also symmetrical most of the time. Looking at that house linked to, though, I would have quite a hard time making that. Jesus, I wonder how much that costs in-game...

Edited by DoubleX

It's just an item that's modified to be at an angle.

****A NOTE ABOUT DIAGONAL FURNITURE AND INACCESSIBLE AREAS: Your sims may occasionally get stuck in a diagonal piece of furniture, especially when getting up from the breakfast nook table. There are two ways to avoid this: either have the sim walk in a different direction until they are unstuck, or move the furniture so that it is aligned normally with the grid. It looks nice and is quite playable, just be cautioned that it may not work as smoothly as furniture that is aligned with the grid.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I dunno how popular this will prove to be, but in an attempt to ressurect this topic, I've created

- My family home

- My current flat

- Benji's home

/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5291">EWB_Houses.zip

All packaged in this .zip file, simply unzip them, double click and choose install. If you want, I've got the families to go with these too.

They will be compatible with all Sims 2 versions.

And hope that other EWBers can try and create their houses too.