US Comedy question

Liam

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite sitcoms are Friends, Trailer Park Boys (season sucked ass though), the Office (US), and Curb Your Enthusiasm, in that order.

I love King of Queens.

I hated Raymond. Brad Garrett and Peter Boyle were the only things that I could watch on that show.

I used to love 8 Simple Rules, but I stopped watching after John Ritter died. Not because it was shit, but I just never got back into watching it. Almost all the episodes I see on reruns now are the non-Ritter ones, and they aren't bad. I don't mind watching it every now and then.

I used to love Frasier for a while, up until Niles and Daffney finally got together, then I stopped watching it during that season. Just lost interest in it.

Home Improvement was great too. I used to watch it when I was a kid, but stopped during the last few seasons for whatever reason. Then I was loving it all over again on reruns.

I think Seinfeld is a great show, not the best, but pretty damn great. I think sometimes I chose to think less of it when everybody feels the need to tell me that it's the greatest sitcom of all time and I say "no, it's shit" just to piss them off. It's like the same way I feel about Corner Gas. I think it's a great show, but when people tell it's the greatest Canadian show on television, I say "fuck that".... What a tick. Canadian TV is pretty shit, so it probably is one of the best Canadian shows. The only better ones, IMO, are Trailer Park Boys (but yeah, last season was shit) and Jeff Ltd (which I haven't seen a lot of, but it's fucking hilarious when I have seen it).

Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymound, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, King Of Queens, Family Matters, and Yes Dear are all favorites of mine. Scrubs and South Park are my favorites, but I don't know if you would call them "sitcoms".

I kinda go through phases of watching shows like Hope and Faith, King of Queens, Cosby, Rodney, Still Standing, Everybody Loves Raymond and Becker but I will always watch Fraiser, Friends, Two And A Half Men and Scrubs whever I can.

Of British Sit-Coms, Black Books is the king of them because of Dylan Moran and Bill Baliey awesomeness.

I love 8 Simple Rules. Of course, before Ritter's death it was great, but now its still good i think. David Spade as CJ is a saving grace for that show i think.

Though ive never seen the episode which Paul dies in. Has it ever even been shown over here, i know they did it, they cant have gone from 'Pauls alive' to 'After Pauls dead' straight away. Im SURE there is an episode that explains his death etc., but ive never seen it.

I quite like most of the shows on abc1, even Rodney, but it gets boring fast and Hope & Faith is below average, it was never that good really but i always thought it was ok until the last series or two.

I enjoy Scrubs, Curb Your Enthusiasm, King of Queens, Friends, Everybody Hates Chris, the US Office (though not as good, is still pretty good) and the Fresh Prince. Not forgetting gems from childhood like City Guys and Hang Time (which are unintentionally funny).

The US obviously makes a load of great TV, but my problem is that we get all the shit hyped up to the max as well - Ugly Betty, Lost, Will and Grace etc etc. That and they ruin shows like Coupling.

I remember an episode where Michael Manning got sent off. It was amazing.

Manning: Ref, you suck!

Ref: What did you say?

Manning: What? First you can't see, now you can't hear?

Ref: That's it you're gone, out of the game!

Then, of course, he learnt a lesson about anger management. I saw it the other Saturday morning on Trouble when I had to get up at like 8 for work, its heartening to know its still on.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the Three Stooges. They don't fall under the sitcom umbrella as they were 20 minute shorts, but christ were they funny. It depends on if you enjoy that kind of slapstick humor, or some of the ridiculous premises for episodes that the writers came up with (Three bumbling doctors? Three bumbling plumbers? Three down on their luck guys posing as little kids? What the fuck?). But yeah, I was, and always will be a huge fan of the Stooges.

The first season of Shameless is perhaps the best thing that has ever graced my television. Hell I've imported then next two seasons despite the fact the show has gotten progressively worse just because it's still better than 99% of what else I've seen. The only two shows I'd rate higher on my 'all time list off good television shows' are Arrested Development (you do need to see it in sequence as you should all good comedies IMO) and 6 Feet Under.

Having said that generally I generally much prefer US sitcoms to English. Although I tend to prefer British sketch shows more than the US ones.