Madonna

Benji

When people talk about great artists, she's highly under-rated in my book, she's managed to mix pretty much every walk of life into her music and persona and created a brand that would distinctly not work on anyone else while retaining her credibility in music every step of the way.

I'm just saying is all.

When people talk about great artists, she's highly under-rated in my book, she's managed to mix pretty much every walk of life into her music and persona and created a brand that would distinctly not work on anyone else while retaining her credibility in music every step of the way.

I'm just saying is all.

I dunno, there WAS American Life or whatever.

Duran Duran. Aerosmith. Springsteen. Def Leppard. Neil Young. INXS. John Mellencamp. Styx. Tom Petty.

Haha, ok, but the thing is Madonna has still retained a sense of being in the mainstream (MTV, radioplay, publicity etc), still sells a butt load (in terms of concerts and CDs), has released some of her most critically acclaimed music in the last 10 years (Ray of Light), and is STILL an important figure in pop culture. Young and Springsteen are the only bands who belong in the same sentence as Madonna, let alone the same paragraph. INXS?!? They got dropped by their record label quicker than you can say J.D. Fortune. Styx? Are you joking? Def Leppard?!? Duran Duran only gets noted when talking about members (and I don't mean it like you think) and when Justin Timberlake wants to collaborate with them. Madonna gets more publicity when adopting a baby than any of those bands get in general.

And yeah, she released some crap, but every single artist releases crap. The woman has released 13 studio albums, no one is perfect.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

He asked for groups from the 80s (all of these are from then or earlier) who make mainstream-successful music. I stretched it to 'make music that gets played regularly on radio', which all of them fit into.