Requiem For A Dream

Liam

So, what do people think about it?

I liked it (in so much as you can like a depressing film), and have heard lots of good stuff about it, but two of my housemates don't like it, my girlfriend didn't and I know Skummy blasted it in another topic.

I was just wondering if the consensus is that is is good, or is it less cut and dried than I previously thought?

Wow. It's in my top 10 of all-time list. I love that movie, Ellen Burstyn gives I think one of the greatest performances ever and was seriously robbed of the oscar because voters love Julia Roberts.

I think everything is perfect in Requiem, the cinematoghraphy, the editing, the acting, the music....it's just one of my favorite movies.

I've only watched it once and I own the movie, but I can't bring myself to see it again. It is the most depressing movie I have ever seen. Great movie, amazing movie, can't watch it though.

Edited by Zero

I have actually yet to be dissapointed with an Aronofsky movie. Even while a lot of people hated The Fountain I actually found it to be his best movie yet. And yeah the guy that compared Requiem to American Pie 4 can go fuck himself, IMO.

Wait....you're saying Schindler's List is shoddy too?

Wow. Just wow.

On topic, I've never seen Reqiuem, but the book is all kinds of badass. I'd probably put it in my top ten. It's quite a hard read, IMO at least, but worthwhile, totally.

Wow. It's in my top 10 of all-time list. I love that movie, Ellen Burstyn gives I think one of the greatest performances ever and was seriously robbed of the oscar because voters love Julia Roberts.

I think everything is perfect in Requiem, the cinematoghraphy, the editing, the acting, the music....it's just one of my favorite movies.

My thoughts exactly.

I have actually yet to be dissapointed with an Aronofsky movie. Even while a lot of people hated The Fountain I actually found it to be his best movie yet. And yeah the guy that compared Requiem to American Pie 4 can go fuck himself, IMO.

Wow... I can go fuck myself for my opinion? Wow.

The fact is, Requiem is a terribly average movie. Okay, comparig it to AP4 was a little unfair. But it's still not the piece of cinematic all-ruling Godly genius the Aronofsky fanboys make it out to be. It's a lot like Schindler's List. Fantastic idea for a movie, but really poorly executed considering it's potential.

Still, the Aronofsky fanboys aren't nearly as bad as the man himself. This is a guy who legitimately believes that Steven Spielberg and Oliver Stone are beneath him.

I think he's confusing that with fanboy opinion of him, which as I said in the initial statement is ridiculous as is, because calling someone the next Kubrick after three movies is ridiculous. Still, I know Skummy voiced his opinion on Requiem, calling it overrated, and no one got miffed at him for that because he actually voiced his reason behind it and didn't just blindly compare it to random films.

And no offense, but Stone is a pretty overrated auteur as well. Sure, his 80s movies were great, and stuff like JFK and Natural Born Killers were alright, but he has done just as much shit since then, too.

Hell, now that I think of it, there's plenty of directors that are highly raved that are really overrated...

Wow... I can go fuck myself for my opinion? Wow.

The fact is, Requiem is a terribly average movie. Okay, comparig it to AP4 was a little unfair. But it's still not the piece of cinematic all-ruling Godly genius the Aronofsky fanboys make it out to be. It's a lot like Schindler's List. Fantastic idea for a movie, but really poorly executed considering it's potential.

Still, the Aronofsky fanboys aren't nearly as bad as the man himself. This is a guy who legitimately believes that Steven Spielberg and Oliver Stone are beneath him.

I think he's confusing that with fanboy opinion of him, which as I said in the initial statement is ridiculous as is, because calling someone the next Kubrick after three movies is ridiculous. Still, I know Skummy voiced his opinion on Requiem, calling it overrated, and no one got miffed at him for that because he actually voiced his reason behind it and didn't just blindly compare it to random films.

And no offense, but Stone is a pretty overrated auteur as well. Sure, his 80s movies were great, and stuff like JFK and Natural Born Killers were alright, but he has done just as much shit since then, too.

Hell, now that I think of it, there's plenty of directors that are highly raved that are really overrated...

Stone isn't producing great films anymore, but at least if he never makes another movie, or dies tomorrow, he can still point to JFK, Natural Born Killers et al and say "I made some great fucking films." Aronofsky, if the same thing were to happen, would have to say "Wow, I hardly produced a fucking thing."

Aronofsky, if the same thing were to happen, would have to say "Wow, I hardly produced a fucking thing."

Pi? The Fountain? The subject of this topic, Requiem For A Dream? Those are all pretty well regarded films and I'd say they qualify as "a fucking thing" whether or not you like them.