Rise and Fall on Consoles

Rashid

NOTE: I don't think this is advertising, everyone already knows GameSpot anyway.

I went on their awards pages (GameSpot's best and worst of 2006), counted up all the nominations and put each game in whatever console they're for. A multi-console game was placed into all the consoles its for. If a game showed up more than once, I counted it more than once. Dubious Honours I didn't count.

And the results did shock me slightly.

XBOX360: 52 (nominations)

PS2: 41

PC: 40

XBOX: 24

PSP: 21

Wii: 18

DS: 12

GC: 11

PS3: 11

GBA: 6

(I may have made some minor errors, but that's basically correct)

Just to note, Gears of War alone got like 20 nominations.

I already felt this coming, but 2007 will probably be the last active year for GameCube, XBOX, and GBA. I can see PS2 riding a bit longer, maybe till early 2008.

I'm also surprised PSP had more than DS, as fans claim DS is like "100 timez bettaz".

So how do you think some consoles will do in '07?

Edited by Rashid

WARNING: Highly Opinionated Post Incoming!

Well, obviously the Wii, 360 and PS3 will be doing fine by this time next year and I'll have two of them by then (Fuck the PS3, paying 400$ for the 360 was bad enough!). The DS will still be putting up high sales numbers because truth be told, it really is the better of the two handheld consoles. You can say all you want about the PSP's graphics, but other than that the thing is an utter piece of shit. The buttons jam easily, the screen is flimsy, the UMD door is super vulnerable to breaking and scratching and one drop on the floor and you'll likely be done with it.

Ugh, there I go ranting.

The only reason the PSP is up there so many times is because it has tons of high profile games. Not many of them are actually all that good, but Gamespot loves Sony crap. Seriously.

Lastly, take that list with a grain of salt anyway. Gamespot hasn't been a credible, honest site in a long time and their opinions are always pretty shitty anyway. But I digress. All the systems I mentioned will be doing fine, but yeah, the original XBox and the Gamecube are just about done. Same for the GBA.

The two PSP games that I DO currently have (Footy Manager 07 and Metal Gear Acid) are proper brilliant....For me the PSP doubles up as an mp3 player to listen to podcasts while I'm wandering around, before getting it out of my inside pocket to manage Tottenham while on the bus. Then I can show my parents some photos of my trip to Japan in the summer when I go down over new year.

It's perhaps my favourite thing I've ever bought...

The 360 , Ps3 and Wii will lead next year. Ps2 will still be around as well as the psp and ds . I think the gba and gamecube will slowly fade away.

in my opinion everyone claiming that the PS3 is a bust is looney. The launch was a bust , but saying the console is shit before it's hardly out of the gates is insane . I feel the only reason for this is because of the high price and the way Sony handled everything on the launch. In a couple of years I think 360 will still be leading with PS3 and Wii going head to head.

if apple gets into the console war like rumors are stating then that will surely shake things up.

I have a psp and its great and all but when it comes too it the ds tops it. 75%(No that's abit harsh)68%?(No....)62%(Just right ^_^ ) of the people who bought the psp don't know a damn thing about gaming and only bought it to watch movies and listen to music on the go.(Jus to let you know I'm part of the 38%) The DS has a 100%(Maybe 90 something % due to the chat system) die hard gamer fan base due because Nintendo it focused way more on their objective and that was to make a portable game system specificly for games PERIOD!

Edited by Killagy

I already felt this coming, but 2007 will probably be the last active year for GameCube, XBOX, and GBA. I can see PS2 riding a bit longer, maybe till early 2008.

Probably? The GameCube, XBox and the GBA are already dead. A few games trickled out in 06, but not much, certainly not enough to claim the systems were even alive in 06, let alone making it in 07. If any system is going to die next year, it's the PSP, unless a San Andreas Stories is on the way.

GameSpot having no credability Krauser? Nonsense. They have great quality reviews. Sure there are some people there I don't like (Greg Kasavin for example), but when I want to buy a game, I go to GameSpot first, and learn all I need to know. GameSpot is definitly better than crap like IGN.

And PSP being crap? I hate non-Sony fans bashing it. It has a lot of quality games, Daxter, Burnout Legends, Metal Gear Solid PO, Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2, Lumines 1 and 2, Mercury Meltdown, WTF, Tekken DR if you'r a fan, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Exit. I played a DS several times, and I honestly prefer the PSP's controls. I will agree however on how delicate it is. But it does teach me to take better care of my possessions.

And don't say I'm a Sony-fanboy. I used to think I was, but I actually like Sony and Nintendo equally. I still consider the SNES the greatest console ever.

Edit:

And I somewhat regret buying a XBOX. The only XBOX-exclusive games I really loved for it are Top Spin and Ninja Gaiden.

And I'm surprised the GBA lasted as long as it did. When did it come out, 2001?

Edited by Rashid

GameSpot having no credability Krauser? Nonsense. They have great quality reviews. Sure there are some people there I don't like (Greg Kasavin for example), but when I want to buy a game, I go to GameSpot first, and learn all I need to know. GameSpot is definitly better than crap like IGN.

And PSP being crap? I hate non-Sony fans bashing it. It has a lot of quality games, Daxter, Burnout Legends, Metal Gear Solid PO, Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2, Lumines 1 and 2, Mercury Meltdown, WTF, Tekken DR if you'r a fan, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Exit. I played a DS several times, and I honestly prefer the PSP's controls. I will agree however on how delicate it is. But it does teach me to take better care of my possessions.

And don't say I'm a Sony-fanboy. I used to think I was, but I actually like Sony and Nintendo equally. I still consider the SNES the greatest console ever.

Edit:

And I somewhat regret buying a XBOX. The only XBOX-exclusive games I really loved for it are Top Spin and Ninja Gaiden.

And I'm surprised the GBA lasted as long as it did. When did it come out, 2001?

Edited by Jack Krauser III

PSP was very dissapointing for me. Game prices are ridiculous, almost, if not more, expensive than PS2 games. The analogue stick thing is awkward to reach. The games themselves aren't great, there's very few original, good games - most are simply poor PS2 ports. It seems it suffered somewhat of an identity crisis, with the film/music/photo/game thing going on. And I can't belive Son thought UMD would catch on, standing level with DVD :/ Who the fuck wants to pay an extra £5-10 to watch a film on a smaller screen? I'll save the money, buy the DVD, and wait till I get home to watch it, ta.

I have a DS Lite and have played the PSP, DS just does more for me to be honest, Animal Crossing: Wild World is great - especially when WiFi'ing, Mario Kart: DS is always fun. Metroid Prime Hunters was good, but I was shit at it and don't play it really - I might give it another go sometime.

And of course I have Pokemon Emerald on GBA cartridge (well - i don't have it in my possession at the minute, J <_<) but that's always great. I love my DS Lite, it's been one of my best purchases ever. I don't want to watch movies on it, i want to watch movies in the cinemas or on my widescreen television, I don't want to listen to music on it, I'm going to use the iPod nano i intend on buying for that.

As for all the adverts showing 40-50 year olds, well, that's only partly true. It shows families playing generally, to show that it's for everyone, the same way the Wii are trying to operate, quite frankly I prefer the different approach than "YARGH FPS GAMES!!" approach that we seem to get a lot of the time. They're doing different stuff and it's working, now if with the DS everyone gets their act together and gets Elite Beat Agents out over here (although I may try and pick it up when I'm in America next week) because it looks fucking sound.

You also have to take into consideration it's obviously going to get graphical and sound awards over any other multi-platform games. And when it comes to anything online-related, nothing even comes close.

Except that the PS3 has been going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about being the technically superior machine. Only problem is, none of the developers have been able to figure out how to make use of it.

Well to be fair, it's also only been available for a month. Although I doubt the PS3 will ever be that much more visually impressive than the 360, you'll notice some differences in a year or two.

I honestly feel that 360 games are only slightly graphically improved over Xbox games. I feel that they rushed it. From gameplay and cutseen pics I've seen of upcoming PS3 games, PS3 looks much better. What that's to be expected with a $700 (Canadian) pricetag.

...you're kidding me, right?

Find me one game, on any console, that you can say is *slightly worse* than say, Gears of War. Hell, even Dead Rising, a game that relies on quantity over quality has far better graphics than the Xbox, and that's saying something.

And pre-release screenshots, especially of cutscenes, are horrible tools at judging. Everyone knows that most developers release shots that are nowhere near the final build, or if they are, play touch up with photoshop.

Edited by Gongsun Zan