What If...?

TMM

ve just caught up on this diary, and i must say im enjoying it immensely so far! Im also glad youve released AJ Styles, as it seems itll just be for now. He needs more exposure around the indies first, and i like to see something different in diaries.

The whole thing with Monty seems pretty realistic too, and im intrigued by how and when he'll debut.

All in all, i like the look of the roster, as ive never been in to WCW, and dont like many of the older stars, the ones youve kept i actually like mind! Luger FTW!

Anyway, good stuff so far, and i cant wait to see an actual WCW TV Show!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent the last hour reading this. I must say I saw a lot of hype about this diary in other threads and I can see why. You have yet to post a proper show, but your 6 days in and the diary is damn good. I hope the Backstage bits continue once you start the TV shows. The twist with Fox was funny to read, I could imagine Bischoff's face when he heard the news. Still I'll be reading and will WCW be returning to PPV soon?

WCWNitro.gif

July 18, 2001

Live from Atlanta, Georgia

Your hosts are Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay

We’re greeted to a brand new opening video with a brand new Nitro logo in the same style as the WCW logo, which looks pretty cool. Great opening video, but strangely enough no Kevin Nash, who last I checked, signed with the new WCW. Hmmm, maybe he quit already? Wouldn’t that be summit? Anyway, Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay are the announcers for Nitro. No more Scott Hudson, which is kinda odd, coz I was FINALLY getting used to him, but hey, shit happens, and at least we get Tenay, so it’s all good. They welcome us to the new WCW and, oooo, nice set. The Titan/Nitro-tron is oval shaped and has a smaller screen underneath it, and on one side of the tron it says “WCW” and on the other it says “Nitro”, and it looks pretty neat actually. Anyway, back to Schiavone and Tenay who pretty much just hype the hell out of WCW and thank FX for giving WCW this TV time and such.

Before anything else can be said, Eric Bischoff comes out to a big pop. He’s the first guy out, so they would’ve cheered Brad the Sound Guy. Bischoff tries to soak up the applause, but it sorta dies quickly, so Bischoff gets on the mic. He repeats what Tenay said, but also thanks everyone in attendance and everyone watching at home. He says WCW would be owned by Stamford if it wasn’t for the support of the fans. Ah, nothing like sucking up eh? The fans applaud him, and Bischoff then gets onto the serious stuff and calls Booker T to the ring.

Booker gets a great reaction and comes to the ring with the United States title slung over one shoulder, and the World Heavyweight title over the other. Bischoff offers a hand, but Booker’s a bit reluctant, but shakes in the end. Bischoff says he’s gonna cut to the chase and asks Booker T to hand over the United States title because as of this moment, it’s not vacant because of some rule (which I think Bischoff just made up) that nobody can hold more than one title at any time. The fans want Booker to tell Bischoff to shove it, and Booker agrees. He says he fought hard for this belt, and wouldn’t give it up just like that. He says he’ll defend it every week if he has to, but he won’t just drop it. Bischoff says he appreciates Booker’s passion, but then goes all heel and stuff by telling Booker he will strip him of both titles if he does not hand over one of them. Boos for Easy E, and the fans want Booker to lay him out. Booker’s about ready to, but thinks better of it and takes the United States title off his shoulder and hands it to Bischoff.

The second the US title drops into Bischoff’s hands, Scott Steiner’s music hits and the former WCW champion comes out with little miss hotty Midajah. I’m sorry, I won’t say ‘little miss hotty’ again. Steiner gets in the ring and flexes his muscles in Booker’s face as Midajah sort just, strokes him. Steiner laughs at Booker and tells him that he walked into Nitro tonight with two titles, and after the night is over he’ll be leaving with none because tonight Steiner wants Booker in the ring for the World Heavyweight title! He’s invoking his re-match clause, so Bischoff sanctions the match! Steiner promises to show Booker just what it takes to be a real champion…so Booker T hooks Steiner’s arm and lays him out with the Book End! The crowd go nuts as Booker poses in the ring with the World Heavyweight title.

WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles

WCWCruiserweightTagTeam.png

The Yung Dragons w/ Leia Meow vs. The Filthy Animals © w/ Konnan

Well, not a bad match to start with. I thought the Cruiser belts were gonna be dumped, but I guess not. I like the belts, but are there really that many cruiserweight tag teams in the company at the moment? Not to mention they let one cruiser team go this week. No mask for Mysterio, which I read somewhere was something they wanted to bring back. Guess Rey vetoed that idea then. Yang and Mysterio start and do a great reversal sequence which gets a show of respect from the fans, which is great and all, but it gets a bit old when you consider like, 90% of the guys on the indies start their matches the same way. Yang’s in trouble early and has to tag out to Kaz who eats a springboard dropkick from Rey. Tag to Kidman and he nails a tilt-a-whirl slam for a near fall and then gets up and just leg drops him for another near fall. Tag attempt for the champs sees Kaz hit a back suplex and there’s a tag for Yang who goes up top and lands a sweet moonsault but only gets a near fall. Yang sits Kidman up and hits a snap neckbreaker on him before Kaz runs in and hits a stiff dropkick that busts Kidman’s lip open. That just looked ouchy and only got a near fall. Yang and Kaz isolate Kidman with quick tags and some nice cruiser moves, but Kaz goes all stupid and goes for a powerbomb, but clearly he forgot that you can’t powerbomb Kidman! Kidman crawls over and tags in Mysterio who nails a springboard dropkick on Yang and then ducks under a clothesline attempt from Kaz and hits a floatover DDT for another near fall. Yang comes in and tries a full nelson, but Mysterio wriggles out and hits Yang with a reverse dropkick that sends him into the corner. Kidman is back in and sets Yang up on the top rope and then Mysterio runs at Kidman who launches him in the air as he lands on Yang’s shoulders and hits a great hurricanrana! Mysterio covers Yang as Kidman catches Kaz in a BK Bomb and Mysterio picks up the win!

Winners and still Cruiserweight Tag Team champion – The Filthy Animals

The Filthy Animals celebrate with Konnan as we head to the back where Eric Bischoff is for some reason talking with two jobbers. Ok, maybe not jobbers as he introduces the two men as Chris Harris and James Storm and says that tonight they make their WCW debuts in one-on-one action against one another. He says that these two men are new blood in WCW. Oh no, he said ‘new blood’, please just let him mean that they’re new guys and nothing else.

Chris Harris vs. James Storm

Apparently these guys had a great match in Florida Championship Wrestling recently, which earned them a call-up. Yeah, just remember they were on TV a couple of times last year as Russo’s security. Don’t worry; people have forgot that time by now. Or at least have tried to…desperately. Harris and Storm lock-up to start, headlock by Storm followed up by a backdrop from Harris into a dragon sleeper. Storm manages to fight to his feet and hit a nice northern lights suplex for a near fall. The two have a solid, even match that the crowd begin to get into and so of course now is the time to ruin it as the WCW Tag Team champions Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo saunter out to the ring. Neither Harris nor Storm know what to make of the champions being out here, and it certainly takes them out of their game, but the champs appear to be all supportive until they hop into the ring and beat the holy hell out of both Harris and Storm. So, not supportive then.

Winner: Draw - Double DQ due to interference

The now-heel champions decimate Harris and Storm with O’Haire hitting Seanton Bomb on Storm and Palumbo sending Chris Harris out of the ring with a Jungle Kick. The fans are booing the champions, but not quite so wildly, I guess, coz Harris and Storm only debuted tonight, but whatever. Anyway, the champions say that there is no competition for them in WCW. They’ve beaten them all and they even eliminated the last team they defended the titles against (apparently Storm and Awesome have been broken up), and tonight they showed just how dangerous they can be by taking two “nobodies”. They demand some competition next week on Nitro.

Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay discuss the United States title situation, reminding us that Booker T was stripped of the title at the top of the show and they’ve just been informed of a 16-man tournament to crown a new champion. We see the brackets and the 16-men are separated into two blocks, so the winner of each block will face off for the title.

Block A

Disqo vs. “Perfect” Shawn Stasiak

Chris Kanyon vs. Norman Smiley

??? vs. Mark Jindrak

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Mike Awesome

Block B

Lance Storm vs. Hugh Morrus

“The Total Package” Lex Luger vs. Alex Wright

Buff Bagwell vs. Dustin Rhodes

Bryan Clarke vs. Ernest “The Cat” Miller

Not a bad looking tournament on paper. Don’t expect any ***** classics from these combinations though, but I’d certainly love a Kanyon/Storm final. Apparently the mystery guy is The Wall, Curt Hennig or ‘king of the indies’ Christopher Daniels, depending on who you ask or what you read. I hope it isn’t The Wall, what a waste that’d be. Hennig hasn’t even signed to my knowledge, so it’ll probably be Daniels, and he could maybe pull a decent match out of Jindrak, so let’s hope.

WCW United States Title Tournament – Block A – First Round

WCWUS.png

Disqo w/ Alex Wright vs. “Perfect” Shawn Stasiak w/ Stacy Keibler

Well look, neither Disqo nor Wright have anything better to do so we’ll throw two guys with similar gimmicks together and make them a tag team…for a third time! With four of WCW’s major teams gone for one reason or the other (Karagias/Moore, Kronik, Storm/Awesome, Harris’) it’s a good idea as at least the pair have experience. Plus, it keeps them from wrestling singles matches…he says as Disqo goes one-on-one with Stasiak. Disqo and Wright dance out like the dancing fools they are while Stasiak comes out with Stacy Keibler on his arm. Schiavone asks an unintentionally hilarious question here about whom you would rather have in your corner out of Stacy or Alex Wright. Gee Tony, I wonder. Disqo dances to start the match. Ya know, as you do. He gets a slap for his trouble. I’m a Stasiak fan now. Disqo tries to lock-up with Stasiak but Stasiak goes behind and clubs Disqo in the back and hits a backbreaker. He goes to the top but misses an elbow drop, which allows Disqo to lock in an armbar. Alex Wright seems to be perving over Stacy Keibler, like we all are. Let’s be honest. He goes over to her and gyrates in front of her, and…she seems to like it? She moves in closer, but kicks him in the nuts!!! Ha ha! Disqo releases the armbar and starts shouting at Stacy, but the distraction allows Stasiak to get up and hit a blue thunder powerbomb (the move Val Venis does sometimes) to pick up the win and advance in the tournament.

Winner: Shawn Stasiak

Stasiak and Stacy share a kiss on the way to the back, while the Boogie Knights just help each other out.

Off to the back where the Mamalukes (!!!) are with Pamela Paulshock! So many questions! Why are Big Vito and Johnny The Bull back together? Can Pamela Paulshock operate a microphone? Well Paulshock answers her question as soon as she opens her mouth, but she does ask the right question. The Bull explains that they’re family, and families have bust-ups, but they’re blood and they’re back together to win the WCW Tag Team titles and we find out they’ve got Totally Buff tonight. Oh joy.

WCW United States Title Tournament – Block B – First Round

WCWUS.png

Lance Storm vs. Hugh Morrus

Hugh seems to have put on a bit of weight while WCW was dark, and Storm had to carry him here at times, which was a shame. To his credit though, Hugh has been spending a lot of time at the Power Plant working out so good for him. That said there was no way he was going over Storm here. Solid enough match, despite Hugh’s problems, but I guess that’s credit to Storm’s awesomeness. The commentators spend much of the match talking about Storm’s credentials in the singles ranks, talking how he’s a former Cruiserweight and United States champion and they call him an early favourite to win this tournament and the United States title. Nothing spectacular to report but until the end where Hugh Morrus (extra pounds and all) went to the top rope and hit a moonsault but missed Lance Storm who rolled out of the way and quickly locked in the Maple Leaf and after a couple of seconds of struggling Hugh Morrus taps out. Nice ending to a pretty bland match, saved by Mr. Storm.

Winner: Lance Storm

We get a video airing of a guy in the distance on a football pitch, which cuts back and forth with him hitting a badass powerful looking shoulder block on somebody. Seriously, looks real nice. We see a close-up of his face and I believe its Monty Brown. Doesn’t say his name in the video, but it was a nice short hype video. He’s a former footballer, hence the shoulder block charge thing he did. Yeah, Monty Brown’s been wrestling about six months (which to be fair is about six months more than Goldberg) and they’re already getting ready to debut him. Well it worked…uh, well for them with Goldberg so I guess they’re just gonna try and recreate his run.

We’re backstage and Lex Luger and Buff Bagwell are with Scott Hudson. They face the Mamalukes next, and Hudson asks them what it’s like being back on WCW TV, but they ignore him and talk about Monty Brown. Buff says Monty doesn’t have what it takes to succeed in wrestling. Lex calls footballers wimps, and saying Monty Brown looks like the biggest wimp of them all. Buff reminds us that they ended Goldberg’s career back in January, and said that if he knows what’s good for him, Monty will get out before they come face to face with either one of them. I kinda liked this actually, something for Luger and Bagwell to do I guess. Well, apart from squashing teams, which I reckon they’ll be doing next.

Totally Buff vs. The Mamalukes

Well this is gonna be painful. Yeah, no exaggeration there as Bagwell and Luger sorta stumble around for a few minutes attempting to hit Vito or the Bull. My god is Luger awful. Anyway, the fans were behind the Mamalukes, but it was essentially a glorified squash match for Luger and Bagwell. Let me go through the moves Totally Buff hit in this match; forearm, punch, clothesline, sleeper, powerslam, scoop slam…yeah that was about it I believe. No sorry, Bagwell hit the Buff Blockbuster on the Bull and Luger, after desperately struggling to lift him up, locked in the Torture Rack for the win. Now for Luger and Bagwell, that’s an impressive movelist I must say. Pointless match, but it reintroduces the fans to the two teams I guess.

Winners: Totally Buff

Out to the back and Booker T is with Scott Hudson ahead of his title match with Scott Steiner. Hudson asks Booker how he feels about having to give up the United States title. Booker obviously says it weren’t his choice, and he didn’t want to do it, but the World Heavyweight title means more to him than anything else, so he had to make a choice. Hudson asks him how he’d feel if Steiner wins tonight. Booker explains that it ain’t gonna happen, so Hudson tries to repeat the question, and Booker reminds him he’s the World Heavyweight champion and he won it by pinning Scott Steiner at the Night Of Champions in March, and even though it’ll be tough, he’ll walk out of the first Nitro on FX with his World Heavyweight title held high in the air. Good promo from the champ as usual, and heck wouldn’t it be funny if he did lose?

WCW World Heavyweight Title

WCWWorldHeavyweight.png

Scott Steiner w/ Midajah vs. Booker T ©

Great pop for Booker and heat for Steiner and usual Midajah is friggin hot. No, really. Mike Tenay reminds us that Booker won the WCW title from Scott Steiner back in March in a title vs. title match and then reminds us that Booker T walked into Nitro tonight with two titles and could leave with none. Would be quite funny. Stare down to start, and Steiner tries a clothesline, which is ducked by Booker, and a second time. Headlock takedown from the champ who misses a legdrop as Steiner rolls out of the way and tries and German suplex, but Booker reverses out of that and tries for a DDT, but Steiner grabs the top rope and Booker T slams down hard. Nice opening there, and despite Steiner being Steiner, it looked ten times better than the Cruiser match reversal sequence. Steiner signals the end is near and goes for the Steiner Recliner…and locks it in! Booker struggles and quickly manages to reach the bottom rope and Steiner breaks the hold, and then flexes his muscles and drops and does some push-ups which draw boos from the crowd. Midajah applauds her man, and Steiner goes to pick Booker up but eats a jawbreaker from Booker who then nails some punches before Steiner ducks one but then gets hit with a great spinning crescent kick. The fans sound their approval for Booker who wastes very little time and hits a double axe handle to the head of Steiner and follows it up with a spinerooni! Chin lock from Booker T locked in for a short time, but Booker breaks it himself and tries to pick Steiner up, but Steiner manages to hit a sloppy t-bone suplex that had Booker nearly landing on his head. Well it’s nice to see that Steiner hasn’t forgot how to throw a suplex. Wait, he has forgotten, my mistake. Steiner picks him up again goes for another t-bone suplex, but this time hits a great looking one. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try and try again. Some rest holds from Steiner, but the fans are still singing loud. Maybe its because it’s the first show, or maybe it’s because it’s Booker, but the crowd are definitely helping in this match so far. Steiner eventually picks Booker up and pounds away at him with vicious punches before sending Booker off the ropes and hitting a clothesline. Signature bicep-kiss elbow drop from Steiner gets a near fall, and quickly tries to go back on the offensive and irish-whips Booker T into the corner. Steiner charges after him but Booker manages to get a sunset flip on Steiner 1…2…oooh kick out from Steiner. They both get up at the same time and Steiner goes for another clothesline but walks straight into a Book End! Cover from the champion 1…2…referee stops the count as Steiner’s foot is on the bottom rope! The referee’s hand was about an inch off the mat there when he broke the count. The announcers, the fans and Booker T can’t believe it. Midajah is banging on the apron for Steiner to get up, and Booker T goes to the corner and stomps on the mat for the fans to cheer. Who is he Shawn Michaels now? Steiner gets up and Booker goes for a running crescent kick, but Steiner ducks it and Steiner goes for the Steiner Flatliner, but Booker elbows Steiner off, kick to the gut, Scissors Kick from Booker T! Cover from Booker 1…2…3, Booker T retains the title.

Winner and still WCW World Heavyweight champion: Booker T

Booker’s celebrating his win as referee Charles Robinson hands him his World Heavyweight title as the commentators talk about how Booker avoided a big banana skin in possibly losing both titles tonight, but Booker’s gonna walk out with the World title still. Booker holds his title in the air, just as he said he would and turns around…and gets a guitar shattered over his head by Jeff Jarrett! The fans cheers quickly turns to boos as Jarrett collapses to the mat and picks up Booker’s title and he himself holds it in the air. He drops the belt across Booker’s chest and lets him know he’s coming for the belt. Jarrett gives Steiner a look as well as Midajah before walking out as the very first Nitro on FX comes to an end.

Final Thoughts: A solid enough show from WCW’s FX debut, but not exactly a show to remember. The idea of Eric Bischoff of all people being the first face any new fans see when they turn on is questionable, but the confrontation between Steiner and Booker made up for it a bit. Debuting guys like Harris and Storm here may not have been the best idea, but I see what they wanted to do. There’s a lot of work to be done without guys like Goldberg (and seemingly Flair and Sting), so some new stars have to be made, and it seems Booker might be the face of the new WCW, which is a good idea.

Finally...a show!!! I'm quite happy with it, some people won't like it but it's there. I might tweak how I write the shows for a while until I'm happy, but for now it's what I'm settling on. For the time being I'll write up important promos, but other than that it'll be those type of write-ups.

Any feedback is much appreciated; what'd you like? What'd you hate? It's all good.

Edited by TMM

I like the write up for the show, I think you should definitely keep it that way. But I do think that the show needed Flair and Sting. It would have made the show seem bigger for the big Nitro re-debut. I like Jarrett coming after Booker, Since there's no one else right now other than Steiner to fight with Booker over the title. Though, I think you need to build up new talent to get into the main event. While that can take sometime, I think Storm and O'Haire could easily be credible main eventers. Surprised to see Mysterio without the mask, Since he was against the idea of them taking it off, But it would be kinda silly to just have him show up masked with no reason.

The only real bad thing was Disco being eliminated from the tournament. :crying: Though, There's always Chavo and Alex Wright. :D

I thought it was a pretty decent show. I really like how your already building up Monty Brown as a sort of second coming of Goldberg. If done correctly you should get more join out of him then what WCW usually got out of Goldberg. Anyway its odd for WCW to have no Sting or Flair, but thats OK, this is the new WCW. I see where your going with Harris and Storm, I reckon they'll be teaming soon too. Overall = Good start to Nitro.

Good show overall, but there weret wo issues I was concerned with, the first one being the debuts of Chris Harris and James Storm. I really wouldn't of minded them being on the show, but it should've been with other, more established guys, such as in a tag match with O'Haire and Palumbo. The other one was not using some of your more over guys, such as DDP, Ric Flair, and Sting, which would've made fans want to tune in next week. Other than that, I thought it was a good show, with a good, albiet predictable main event.

I agree with everyone saying that it was a pretty good show. I also like the Monty Brown hyping, I think if done right he could become bigger than Goldberg. The way you write your shows is good, but like you said I do hope you start to write out your important promo's. Promo's are a big draw for me. I do have one gripe though. I just didn't like the way you had Booker T stripped of the US Title by saying Bischoff made up some rule that he couldn't hold 2 titles at the same time. Unless this ends up starting what is to become like a McMahon vs Austin esque type feud then it was a brilliant idea. I don't really know what else you could have done to make that seem better though, maybe have someone just start beating on Booker and have them challenge for the title then Stenier interfering in the match causing Booker T to lose? All in all good show, keep it up.

I agree with everyone saying that it was a pretty good show. I also like the Monty Brown hyping, I think if done right he could become bigger than Goldberg. The way you write your shows is good, but like you said I do hope you start to write out your important promo's. Promo's are a big draw for me. I do have one gripe though. I just didn't like the way you had Booker T stripped of the US Title by saying Bischoff made up some rule that he couldn't hold 2 titles at the same time. Unless this ends up starting what is to become like a McMahon vs Austin esque type feud then it was a brilliant idea. I don't really know what else you could have done to make that seem better though, maybe have someone just start beating on Booker and have them challenge for the title then Stenier interfering in the match causing Booker T to lose? All in all good show, keep it up.

The reason for the title stripping was simply because I don't like the idea of a wrestler holding two titles at once. In reality he only got it because he had joined the WWF. I could've gone the route of having him lose the US title to Steiner or someone, but this is a better way because Steiner/Booker/Jarrett are all above the US title, and I'd prefer to have it as something to climb the ladder or for the guys who won't get to the main event, and having the World Heavyweight champion lose to a midcarder damages his credibility a little bit.

WCW NITRO OFF-AIR RESULTS

Thursday 19th July 2001

Just got back from Nitro and it was a great show live. First WCW show I’ve ever been to, and the everyone in the crowd were so hot! We had two warm-up match before Bischoff came out.

- Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire defeated Christian York and Joey Matthews when O’Haire pinned York with a Seanton Bomb.

No sign of the heel turn to come as the champs played total faces.

- ‘Sugar’ Shane Helms defeated Kid Kash, Jason Jett, Evan Karagias and Elix Skipper when Helms pinned Kash after a Vertebreaker.

Post Show – After the show, Booker T got to his feet and thanked everyone for their support and said WCW is back.

Pops

1 – Booker T coming out at the beginning of the show

2 – Booker T pinning Scott Steiner

3 – Eric Bischoff (turned to boos when he stripped Booker of the US title)

4 – The Filthy Animals coming out

Heat

1 – Jeff Jarrett when he broke the guitar over Booker’s head

2 – Scott Steiner at the beginning of the show

3 – Eric Bischoff stripping Booker of the US title

4 – Palumbo and O’Haire’s heel turn

NITRO FALL-OUT

Friday 20th July 2001

The trio looked over the ratings for Nitro’s debut on FX and they were pretty solid. Nowhere near Raw or SmackDown, but he expected that. FX isn’t received by as many people as USA or TNN, but it was pretty good. One thing that concerned him a little bit was the online fans reactions. Bischoff had an employee find the online reviews of Nitro and deliver them to him to read. He didn’t particularly give a shit about the “stupid internet fans”, but that doesn’t stop him being curious. For the most part they were ok, but people were complaining. It was an improvement over the old WCW for sure, but they didn’t like seeing Bischoff open the show, and they were expecting a big name like Flair, Sting or Booker for example. Bischoff couldn’t understand this; he was the one who saved this company…ok with some help from Flair and Borden, but Bischoff was the brains. He got them on FX and he was the one who handled the financial side of things. If it wasn’t for him, WCW wouldn’t be on TV, or even worse; WCW would be owned by McMahon, surely the WCW fans owe him, and surely they’d be grateful to see the man behind it all open the show? Bischoff couldn’t understand it, but put it down to these so-called “smarks” being 20-somethings who stilled lived in their parent’s basements and had never known the touch of a woman!

While Eric Bischoff ignored that as “drivel”, both Ric Flair and Sting had paid attention to it and had expressed their concerns about Bischoff opening the show to him, but Bischoff compromised with them by putting Booker T and Scott Steiner in the opening. They had accepted it, but looking back on it they both realised that one of them should probably have opened the show. But there were plans for both of them, and if they had done that it might ruin those plans. They still would’ve liked a stronger opening.

Bischoff was laying out the plans for the next few weeks, especially in regards as how to build to the big match at Starrcade, which was something despite Flair and Sting’s apprehension, they had all agreed it would be a money maker of a match, so Bischoff had been dedicating quite a bit of his time to iron out some plans for it. They had about six months to build to the match, and Bischoff believed it was enough. Flair and Sting of course, were of the opinion it needed more build-up time because it’d sell a hell of a lot better with more air time, but Bischoff had convinced them that this match should be one the marquee match at this years Starrcade.

VITO SUSPENDED

Monday 23rd July 2001

Big Vito has been handed a week long suspense by WCW for turning up moments before Nitro began, which was why they were beaten so definitely by Lex Luger and Buff Bagwell. It was originally scheduled to be Totally Buff against Evan Karagias and Jame Knoble, but WCW officials changed the match at the last minute as a punishment for Big Vito. Johnny The Bull is also 'unofficially' in hot water for being one of those who were unhappy about being asked to return to the Power Plant for training last month.

Edited by TMM

WCWNitro.gif

July 25, 2001

Live from Birmingham, Alabama

Tenay and Schiavone welcome us to Nitro and run down the announced matches with the tag team champions facing Jason Jett and Kid Kash, Shane Helms defending the Cruiserweight title against Evan Karagias and two United States title tournament matches with Chris Kanyon taking on Norman Smiley and Lex Luger facing Alex Wright. They go over what happened last week and showed clips of Jeff Jarrett smashing his guitar over Booker T’s head. Last week’s show wasn’t bad, but let’s hope for an improvement tonight eh? Please?

WCWUS.png

Chris Kanyon w/ Miss Victoria vs. Norman Smiley

Chris Kanyon comes out first and introduces his new lady friend Miss Victoria. It’s Queen Victoria from the indies, and a former WWF development employee. Apparently Torrie Wilson got her the job a little while ago, and they’ve known each other for years now. She is hot, and she’s got muscles. Not scary Asya or Chyna-muscles, just hot. When Norman Smiley came out, she had to be held back by Kanyon! Mike Tenay talks about Victoria’s history before joining WCW, and actually mentioned she worked for OVW. This is mostly Kanyon here with Kanyon looking really good here. Smiley has a period of dominance here when he reverses an attempted Flatliner into a Rude Awakening. Smiley locks Kanyon in a leg lock and Kanyon looks like he’s going to tap out, but Miss Victoria jumps up on the apron and WAFFLES Smiley with a straight punch that may have knocked Smiley out! Kanyon looks confused, but sees Smiley lying prone on the mat, so he picks him up and nails the Flatliner before covering him for three!

Winner: Chris Kanyon

As soon as the bell rings Miss Victoria gets in the ring and picks Norman Smiley up and hits a wicked looking implant DDT that just SPIKES him! Victoria wants to do some more damage, but Kanyon holds her back and drags her out of the ring. Victoria looks like she was gonna deck Kanyon so Kanyon cowers out of the way. Ha ha, Kanyon is awesome. Kanyon then offers a hug, which Victoria accepts. Ha ha, they’re awesome.

Backstage we see Eric Bischoff is in his office when Booker T storms in and demands vengeance for last week. Vengeance I say! Booker demands Jeff Jarrett tonight one-on-one tonight, but Eric Bischoff denies his request, but says he’ll go one better. Bischoff tells Booker T to find a tag team partner because he’s facing Jeff Jarrett AND Scott Steiner tonight, and if he can’t find a partner it’ll be a handicap match. Booker smirks and leaves Bischoff’s office in search of a life partner…uh, I mean friend.

We see another video hyping the debut of Monty Brown. It’s similar to last weeks one with the cutting between football and nailing the shoulder charge. This time it ends with “Feel the Pounce…Next Week!” so I guess that shoulder charge is called the Pounce, and I guess he’s debuting next week. I’m a certified genius.

WCWUS.png

“The Total Package” Lex Luger vs. Alex Wright w/ Disqo

Luger is out first and has a microphone and basically repeats what he said last week about Monty Brown, saying he’s insulted some footballer thinks they have what it takes to compete in WCW. Do WCW realise Luger is a former footballer? No, scratch that, does LUGER realise he’s a former footballer? Another squash for Luger here, and it’s not even a ‘glorified’ squash, just a flat out squash. Neither Disqo nor Alex Wright are any more than jobbers really anyway, so it doesn’t particularly bother me. Nothing particularly interesting to report except the finish, which was impressive. Luger lifted Wright up over his head for a military press, but then dropped him onto his shoulders into a Torture Rack for the quick submission victory. Nice visual, shame Luger sucks.

Winner: Lex Luger

Luger doesn’t let go of the Torture Rack for a while but then slams Wright down face first and then catches the on-rushing Disqo in the face with a bionic forearm. Luger does the title belt motion before pointing at the camera to warn Monty Brown that’s what he’s got in store if he comes to WCW. Yeah, apart from the military press into the Torture Rack, this was crap.

We cut to the back where Scott Hudson says he has two guests to introduce at this time…Booker T and his tag team partner for tonight; Diamond Dallas Page!

Hudson: Champ, it looks like you’ve got your partner all lined up for tonight’s big main event. DDP, it’s good to see here on Nitro live on FX for the very first time.

DDP: Scott DDP is back in WCW! It’s been far, far to long hasn’t it? But doesn’t it just feel great?

Hudson: It sure does. Booker, I’d like to take you back to last week where you had, let’s say, a mixed night.

Booker: Damn straight. First I get my United States title stripped by that sucka Eric Bischoff, then I beat that freak of nature Scott Steiner, and then I get a damned musical instrument smashed over my head. Yeah, let’s call it mixed man.

DDP: But tonight they playing field is even! Two against two, no sneak attacks from Jarrett tonight! Booker can get his revenge on Jarrett, and let me tell you something Big Poppa Pump; I’m not finished with you yet! Tonight Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner; you will feel the BANG!

Booker: Now can you dig that…suckas?

Booker T and DDP walk off as we head to the ring for the next match

Non-Title Match

Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire vs. Hard Kash (Kid Kash and Jason Jett)

Palumbo and O’Haire come out to a mixed reaction from the fans. It was a heel turn last week, but in WCW’s infinite wisdom they turned them against two guys who, for all intents and purposes are unknown jobbers, who may never be seen again, so the fans aren’t sure what to do. To their credit, the Tag Team champions to their best to get the fans booing by mocking the fans and taunting Kid Kash and EZ Money with the titles. I like the tag team name for Kash and Jett, and they have matching inverted black and yellow tights! Palumbo and Kash start off, and Palumbo slaps him to start, so Kash just slaps him back! Palumbo is pissed and just lays into Kash with rights and lefts and nails a big boot after an Irish whip. Palumbo lifts him to his feet and tries a scoop slam, but Kash reverses out of it with a great looking headscissors! Kash runs to the top rope and hits a diving clothesline, which gets a near fall. Kash picks Palumbo up, but Palumbo fights his way out and tags in Sean O’Haire who KILLS Kid Kash with a spinning kick. O’Haire hits a straight punch to the chest, which makes Kash yelp in pain. O’Haire then locks in a reverse chin lock, and holds it in for a while. O’Haire and Palumbo isolate Kash well hit some hard-hitting moves, and credit to Kash for selling like a champ, but he just cant tag in Jason Jett at all. Palumbo tags Sean O’Haire back in, and they attempt to Irish whip Kid Kash into a double-flapjack, but Kash ducks and then hits a springboard moonsault to take out both men! Kash struggles to his corner and tags in Jason Jett who hops onto the top rope and hits a diving hurricanrana on Chuck Palumbo and then dropkicks Sean O’Haire in the knees before heading to the top rope and lands a guillotine leg drop one on half of the tag team champions. Jett is all fired up and heads to the top rope and dives off onto Palumbo, but he catches him and O’Haire comes in and hits a shoulder block to the back on Jason Jett’s head. Chuck Palumbo whacks Kid Kash with the Jungle Kick which takes him out of the ring, and allows Sean O’Haire to hit the Seanton Bomb to get the academic three count.

Winners: Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire

Palumbo and O’Haire are celebrating their win when Chris Harris and James Storm rush down to the ring with steel chairs in hand! The Tag Team champions flee the ring and head up the ramp with the titles held in the air. The champions reach the top of the ramp when Eric Bischoff walks out with a microphone in hand. He says as much as he loves this sort of competition, it’s pointless. Harris and Storm aren’t a team, so they won’t be challenging the champions anytime soon, so over the next to weeks we will see James Storm against Sean O’Haire and in two weeks Chris Harris vs. Chuck Palumbo. Good thing they’re ending this “feud” how they are, as it is a pretty pointless use of the Tag Team champions unless they team Storm and Harris up.

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match

WCWCruiserweight.png

Evan Karagias vs. ‘Sugar’ Shane Helms ©

The clash of the former teammates here, but what did Karagias do to get a title shot? Ah who cares, Shane-o Helms is gonna win, and I think they can put on a decent match, despite Evan being Evan. Solid start from the two with the typical cruiser-reversal sequence, and Evan takes control for a while after reversing a hurricanrana attempt into a neat-looking spinebuster/powerbomb. That did look pretty good, but it only got a near fall for Karagias. Karagias flexes some and turns around into a move that’s sort of a combination of a Book End into a sort of sit-out sideslam. Helms locks in a side headlock and Karagias fights to his feet and sends him off the rope, and Helms ducks a clothesline and gets a springboard crossbody for a near fall. Some good back and forth action comes to a head when Evan Karagias gets armdragged off the top rope by the champion, and Helms nails the Vertebreaker for the pinfall victory.

Winner and still Cruiserweight champion: ‘Sugar’ Shane Helms

Helms poses in the ring with his title and we see Chavo Guerrero Jr. watching on from backstage. So, that feud isn’t over then? Wicked. Those two have great chemistry in the ring, especially with both guys being far more mat based cruiserweights.

We head to the back and see Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner are there with Pamela Paulshock. Oh joy. Midajah is there as well and she’s giving Paulshock the evil eye. Oooo, smell the tension. Paulshock asks Jarrett to explain his actions last week, but Steiner cuts him off before he can say anything. He says that Jarrett doesn’t matter because it’s all about Big Poppa Pump. He says he had Booker beat last week, but Booker got lucky. Jarrett interjects and says Steiner lost twice to Booker T, pure and simple, and it’s time for a new challenger, which was why he laid out Booker last week; because he wanted Booker to know he was gonna take his title. Steiner says he’s not finished with Booker T, and tells Jarrett to stay out of his business if he knows what’s good for him. Jarrett tells him tonight they are partners, but after they beat Booker T and DDP, all bets are off. You’d think we’d be finished there, but for the hell of it, Midajah jumps Paulshock and beats the crap out of her. That’s a good use for her; a punching bag…for the ladies of course! And yeah, Booker and Steiner OBVIOUSLY have some sort of alliance. Typical WCW booking says, ‘heels pretend to hate each other and then turn out to be buddies’, and it’s never failed before.

Johnny The Bull vs. Elix Skipper

Well Big Vito is suspended for turning up uber-late last week, so his partner in crime Johnny The Bull gets to face Elix Skipper. Johnny The Bull is also apparently in the doghouse for only ‘grudgingly’ returning to the Power Plant in WCW’s dark months. Skipper isn’t. Size-wise, the Bull should win, but Skipper just makes him look like an idiot at times with his speed. The fans are behind the Mamaluke, and give a good pop when the Bull catches Skipper with a swinging DDT, but it only gets him two. During this match, Tony Schiavone informs us that next week we’ll see Shane Helms defend the Cruiserweight title against Chavo Guerrero Jr. So is that all you need to do to get a title shot these days; watch a monitor of the champs match? Surely that means I’m in line for a shot then? Right? Anyway, The Bull calls for the fans, and gets a decent reaction by heading to the top, but completely blows it all when he tries a diving leg drop and Elix Skipper rolls out of the way. Skipper quickly school-boys the Bull and gets the 1…2…3. Well I guess we know who’s getting the punishment then.

Winner: Elix Skipper

Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page vs. Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner w/ Midajah

The heels come to the ring first, and Tenay and Schiavone discuss Midajah beating up Pamela Paulshock earlier on. Oh and they mention Jeff Jarrett smashing a guitar over Booker T’s head last week. But Midajah beat up Paulshock; which is more DASTARDLY!?! DDP is out next to a great reception, but Booker gets an even bigger one when he comes out, and the champ and Page waste no time rushing into the ring to get in Jarrett and Steiner’s faces. Jarrett and DDP start off and lockup, but pull apart when nobody can get the upper hand. The go for a lockup again, and the same thing happens so Jarrett offers a test of strength, which DDP falls for because Jarrett kicks him in the gut and lays in a few punches before Irish-whipping DDP across the ring and right into an elbow to the face from Jarrett. Tag from Jarrett to Steiner, and Mike Tenay brings up the history of the two of them. Steiner goes to school on DDP with some serious stiff punches and clotheslines. Steiner sets DDP up for a T-bone, which reminds me of last week when he nearly killed Booker. Obviously DDP remembers as well as he manages to fight out with elbows and punches, but then tries to run the ropes and walks into a slow powerslam from Steiner. In a bit of a (worked) shoot, Steiner points at Midajah and makes some disparaging remarks about DDP’s wife Kimberly. Oh, nobody disses da Kim!!! Steiner gives him a few kicks in the mouth and tags out to Jarrett who immediately locks in a reverse chin-lock, but DDP quickly manages to struggle out of it and the two get to their feet, and DDP then ducks a clothesline attempt and tags in Booker T! Punches, chops and elbows from the World champion before a scoop slam, and Booker then drops the knee onto Jarrett’s face. Booker goes to work on Jarrett for a short while before tagging in DDP, who continues Booker’s work over Jarrett. DDP sends Jarrett front first into the turnbuckle and DDP tries to lock him up from behind, but Jarrett isn’t moving. Referee Nick Patrick gets in to close, and Jarrett kicks DDP in the balls from behind and gets Patrick as well, so they both crumble to the ground. Jarrett tags in DDP and locks in the Steiner Recliner! DDP is in pain, but is struggling to the ropes to break the hold. Booker T has seen enough and comes in and kicks Steiner in the head to break the hold. Nick Patrick finally gets to his feet as Booker lines Steiner up for something. Booker goes for a jumping crescent kick, but Steiner ducks the kick and Booker completely KO’s the referee with the move. Nick Patrick’s momentum takes him out of the ring to the arena floor, and Jarrett clotheslines Booker over the top rope while DDP manages to get to his feet and hits Scott Steiner with the Diamond Cutter! DDP covers him, but there’s no referee to count the fall, so DDP leans over the see if the referee is moving, but he obviously isn’t. DDP is so distracted by checking on the referee he doesn’t see Jeff Jarrett come into the ring and he gets nailed with the Stroke! Jarrett gets to his feet but gets a kick in the gut from Booker T who bounces off the ropes and hits the Scissors Kick! All of a sudden Booker T gets waffled with his own World Heavyweight title! We don’t see who did for a few seconds but it’s…Bryan fucking Clarke!?! What the hell? Clarke looks around for a few seconds as boos are heard all around him. His attention turns back to Booker T, who we see is now busted wide open, and Clarke picks him up and grabs him by the throat…chokeslam! He picks up Jeff Jarrett and lays him across Booker T, and in this time Midajah has gotten Nick Patrick to his feet and sent him into the ring. The ref notices the cover and makes the SLOW count…1…2…3, Jeff Jarrett pins the World Heavyweight champion with the help of, meh, Bryan Clarke.

Winners: Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner

Steiner is back in the ring now, and Jarrett is up to his feet and the three of them get close, but Clarke grabs both of their wrists and raises their arms! Well I guess we’ve got ourselves a new faction in WCW, what’d I say? The show closes out with Jarrett, Steiner, Clarke and Midajah standing in the ring over the bodies of Diamond Dallas Page, and for the second week running, Booker T.

Final Thoughts: A better show then last week I think. Last weeks main event really saved the show, but this week there were a few solid matches (Kanyon/Smiley, Crusierweight and both tag team matches) and they definitely seem to have some direction going. The US title tournament is building up well, as is the Booker/Steiner/DDP/Jarrett feud, and I guess that Palumbo and O’Haire will move on to, ya know, feuding with a TEAM soon, but I digress. But two weeks now and no Ric Flair, no Sting and no Kevin Nash which is three of the main WCW guys under contract, so I’m wondering when one (or all) of them are gonna turn up.

Two very solid shows to start this revival with. Though not amazing, its a nice write-up style and i like who your using in the main event scene. Steiner, DDP, Jarrett & Booker are undoubtedly your three top guys under contract (not including Sting & Flair) and the longer Nash stays away, the better! The midcard is also looking fantastic, and id be lying if i said i wasnt looking forward to the debut of Monty Brown immensely! Keep it up, im liking it so far!

I enjoyed this week's show, Here's my thoughts.

The Good

- You're continuning the Helms/Guerrero feud. Hey, More Chavo is a good thing. I look forward to their upcoming match.

- O'Haire and Palumbo continue to look great. I can't wait to see who will end up beating these two for the titles. I don't care much for Chuck, But O'Haire is just awesome.

- Elix Skipper. He got a win over JTB, Which doesn't mean much, But I think he could easily be pushed into the top midcard spot, Or even the uppercard.

- New stable. Though, I wish it was Jarrett, Clark and someone else, Since I never liked a stable where more than one guy goes after the World title.

- DDP returning. I still think DDP had alot left to give back in 2001, Shame the WWF ruined it. Personally, I'd like to see him getting a shot at Booker's title.

- Chris Kanyon and Victoria. Awesome pairing.

The Bad

- No Sting, Nash or Flair again. I realize you might want to hold out and save their appereance for something bigger, But I think they should be on the new Nitro. Right now, There's no real stand out star except for Booker imo.

The Ugly

- Alex Wright and Disco getting squashed. :crying: I just hope you don't end up firing them, That could be a bigger mistake than WCW letting go of Austin. :shifty:

WCW NITRO OFF-AIR RESULTS

Thursday 26th July 2001

Dark Matches

Mark Jindrak beat Hugh Morrus with a diving crossbody.

Alan Funk and Paisley beat John Toland and Alexis Laree when Funk hit Toland with the Fruit Loop.

Billy Kidman beat Ernest “The Cat” Miller after hitting the Shooting Star Press.

After the show while Clarke, Jarrett and Steiner were celebrating, Booker and DDP got back up and fought with them. DDP Diamond Cutter’d Steiner, and Booker crescent kicked Jarrett over the tope rope and hit the Book End on Clarke. Booker and DDP posed a bit at the end.

Biggest Pops

1 – Booker T coming to the ring

2 – DDP coming to the ring

3 – Shane Helms hitting the Vertebreaker (he was well over here, they need to push him!)

Biggest Heat

1 – Jeff Jarrett pinning Booker T

2 – Jarrett, Clake and Steiner posing at the end

3 – Luger…in general

PAULSHOCK RELEASED

Thursday 26th July 2001

Pamela Paulshock was released from her contract this morning, and the beating she suffered from Midajah was a way to send her off. No reason was given for the release, but it's believed that WCW are looking to get some of their backstage workers to 'double up' on some roles, and as it was, Pamela Paulshock's sole job was that of a backstage interviewer and wasn't really qualified to take up any other roles.

Expect Paulshock's role to be filled by Jeremy Borash, who runs WCW.com these days and appeared on WCW TV last year with Vince Russo. Borash also designed the new WCW logo.

SEPTEMBER TO BE FIRST WCW PPV

Friday 27th July 2001

While it hasn’t been officially announced yet, September is scheduled to be the month of the first WCW pay-per-view since the re-launch. WCW informed their PPV supplier of an event September 9th, and it could either be Fall Brawl, or WCW could debut a new name.

So far the only rumoured matches for the event are the finals of the United States title tournament and a WCW title match between Jeff Jarrett and Booker T, maybe including Scott Steiner and DDP.

Hey Hewey! Great to see you follow me to my new WCW 2001 diary! Thanks for the reply, and don't worry, I do have plans for Flair, Sting and Nash, so have no fears. I'm looking forward to what I'm planning for Nash, tis typical WCW :P

Edited by TMM

WCWNitro.gif

August 1, 2001

Live from Jackson, Mississippi

The show opens with highlights of the ending of last weeks Nitro with the formation of a new stable consisting of Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner and Bryan Clarke when they attacked Diamond Dallas Page and World Heavyweight champion Booker T. Tonight we’ll see DDP go against one of those three as he faces Bryan Clarke. In addition to that we’ve got Sean O’Haire against James Storm, a Cruiserweight title match between Chavo Guerrero Jr and champion Shane Helms, and finally two first round matches in the United States title tournament, which will see Mark Jindrak go up against a mystery opponent and Dustin Rhodes one-on-one with Buff Bagwell. Looking forward to the Cruiserweight title match and the O’Haire/Storm match in particular. Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone open the show and run down the card and discuss the ‘terrible’ actions of the trio of Jarrett, Steiner and Clarke. Schiavone talks about how DDP has vowed revenge tonight and mentions that Booker T is to be in DDP’s corner for the match.

Speaking of our newest stable, the trio make their way out to the ring to Jeff Jarrett’s music. They’re coming out in a row, now side by side, with Jarrett first, Steiner and Midajah second and Bryan Clarke out last, which I’m sure some people will read to far into. The commentators again put over the destruction we saw last week on Nitro at the hands of these three men. The crowd let them know what they think about them by booing them, but Jarrett and Steiner just soak it up. Clarke just stands there looking scary. That should be his role; stand there and LOOK badass, just, just not in the ring ok? And JUST as I write that, Mike Tenay hypes DDP vs. Clarke. Thanks Mike.

The boos lighten up a bit, but Jarrett asks for a microphone and when he’s about to speak, the boos are back.

Jarrett: Shut up…I came to this ring to talk, not listen to a bunch of in-bred idiots test their vocal chords! Let me tell you people that last week you witnessed the birth of the most dominant groups in wrestling history, and you’re looking at it right now! The next WCW champion, “The Chosen One” Jeff Jarrett, you’ve got the baddest bodyguard around, Bryan Clarke and a certified, dominant, dangerous bad ass “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner.

Jarrett then handed the microphone to Steiner, who you could tell just wanted to swear…

Steiner: DDP, Booker T, any dumb piece of crap back in the locker room who wants to get in our business will get find out first hand just who the hell the power in WCW is! And that power is us baby, because you’ve got the largest arms in the world right here around this fine freak. And while these arms can be treat a freak fine, they can also break a f***** just…like…that.

Schiavone and Tenay apologise for Steiner’s language, seemingly not realised that the guy with his finger on the beepy button earned his paycheck right there. Steiner hands the microphone back to Jarrett again, but nothing for Bryan Clarke, no talky time for him.

Jarrett: Now let’s get onto you Booker T; the World Heavyweight champion. I think the statement that I made on your skull two weeks ago tells you that I want to take back my WCW title! That’s right slapnuts, MY WCW title! Think back over one year ago Booker. July 9, Daytona Beach, Florida…Bash At The Beach! Ring any bells Booker? That’s the night where you “realised your dream,” you won the “big one” and who did you beat? Me? No, that’s where you’re all damn wrong! We all know about some of the serious BS going on all…day…long, and all we hear about is how Jeff Jarrett laid down and lost the WCW title to some over-the-hill has-been who’d been screwing with management all day. All we hear about is how later that night Booker T beat Jeff Jarrett to win his first WCW title! All we hear about is how Jeff Jarrett lost two WCW World Heavyweight title matches in one night! That’s all we hear about! Shut up! Well Booker, you stole the title from me? How would you feel if you were told to lie down in the middle of the ring and be pinned by a bald old man for the damn WCW title? Well I’ll tell you how it felt Booker, it was the worst moment in my career, no, it was the worst moment in my life! Then imagine going from the worst moment you can imagine, to a high like finding out the man who just pinned you had been stripped of the title and FIRED! You’d think that being the last champion, the belt would come right back to you, wouldn’t you? Well that’s just another one of the long list of things that were wrong. No Booker imagine having to face someone who had lost one title that night, someone who was so undeserving it made you want to throw up, let me tell you something Booker, that made me sick! What the hell made you deserve that match? I’m a four-time WCW champion, what were you? What had you accomplished that made you worthy to get in the ring with me? You were NOTHING! You were G.I. Bro! I was “The Chosen One”, I am “The Chosen One”! So Booker T, this is personal, and I hold you personally responsible for the worst year of my entire life! And let me tell you something Booker; I aim to return the favour!

Jeff Jarrett throws down the microphone as his music hits and Jarrett and co leave the ring.

Great promo from Jarrett I’ve got to say. It adds another dimension to the feud other than just the obvious “challenger wants champions title”. They didn’t actually directly talk about backstage politics at the Bash last year, and didn’t even mention Hogan by name, so it appears they’re trying to get away from over-the-hill guys like him, which is great.

WCWUS.png

Mark Jindrak vs. ???

Mark Jindrak comes out first and grabs the microphone from David Penzer and demands to know his opponent is, and says it’s unfair that he was the only guy in this tournament not to know, which is true, and very unfair. Anyway, some new music hits and out comes…Christopher Daniels!

Mark Jindrak vs. Christopher Daniels

Mike Tenay reminds everyone about Daniels’ match on Nitro back in January and talked about how he nearly broke his neck for the WCW fans. So Daniels is a face then? Jindrak doesn’t look impressed by Daniels and says so to his face before aiming a punch at him which Daniels ducks and then unloads with some punches of his own before Irish-whipping Jindrak into the ropes and hitting a running calf kick that gets a near fall. Daniels looks to go back on the offensive quickly and goes to the apron and attempts to launch himself onto Jindrak, but Jindrak moves out of the way and Daniels just lands flat on his back. Daniels gets up quickly by Jindrak take him out with a clothesline. Jindrak poses for a bit and shows off his abs before dropping an elbow across the chest of Daniels and only getting a one count, much to Jindrak’s bemusement. I like that word, and Jindrak pulls off the look so well. I’m not sure that’s a good thing though. Jindrak picks Daniels up and scoop slams him down and then gets some kicks in. Jindrak cleverly wastes more time by posing and then goes for a Boston crab, but Daniels manages to reverse out of it and sends Jindrak spinning onto his back. Jindrak quickly gets to his feet before Daniels and goes after him, but Daniels drops him to the mat with a dropkick to Jindrak’s knees before bouncing off the ropes and hitting a dropkick straight to Jindrak’s face! Jindrak rolls onto his back and Daniels then hops up onto the top rope and nails a beautiful moonsault and then hooks the leg…1…2…3, Christopher Daniels wins his debut match and the punishment of the Power Plant kids continue.

Winner: Christopher Daniels

Daniels leaves the ring and slaps the hands of a few fans before heading to the back while in the ring, Mark Jindrak is furious with the referee, claiming his shoulders weren’t actually down, but the referee doesn’t care. Jindrak starts kicking the ropes before finally leaving.

We see clips off ‘Sugar’ Shane Helms successfully defending the Cruiserweight title last week against Evan Karagias and that segues into Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone talking about how Helms has to defend his Cruiserweight title again tonight, but this time against Chavo Guerrero Jr. No particular reason is given for WHY Chavo has the match, but no reason was given for why Karagias got one last week, so fair game.

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match

WCWCruiserweight.png

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. ‘Sugar’ Shane Helms ©

Chavo is out first to nice resounding boos from the crowd. Tony Schiavone comments on how Chavo Guerrero has a match next week against Mike Awesome in the United States title tournament, and speculates upon what’d happen should Chavo win the Cruiserweight title tonight. Here comes the champ and he gets a great reception from the crowd here in Jackson. In the ring Helms offers a handshake, which Chavo of course turns down and complains to the referee that Helms is mocking him, which then distracts the champ enough for Chavo to get in a few punches and hit a snap suplex. Chavo quickly goes upstairs and says its over and goes for a frog splash, but Helms rolls out of the way and goes for an inside cradle, which Chavo kicks out of. Chavo then runs into a pair of arm drags from Shane Helms and then gets a hurricanrana for his trouble that sends him out of the ring. Chavo slaps his hands down on the apron and is clearly pretty pissed off. The fans respond to Chavo’s antics by cheering, which only serves to piss Chavo off even more. Helms backs off and Chavo gets back into the ring, and the two go to lock-up, but Chavo kicks him in the gut and lays into him with some punches before just slapping him across his face. Helms retaliates with a…collar-elbow tie-up. Well that’s one way to show your anger. Personally I would’ve kicked him in the balls, but that’s me. Helms gets Chavo into a headlock but Chavo bounces him off the ropes and hits a hurricanrana of his own that sends Helms out of the ring. Chavo drops to one knee and looks for fan support but only gets boos. Helms just sorta shrugs his shoulders outside the ring and we see Chavo bounce off the far ropes and dive through the ropes but gets a dropkick in his face! That was awesome. Chavo is down in a heap outside as the ref starts the count, but Helms breaks it before heading to the top rope. He waits for Chavo to get to his feet before launching himself into Chavo with a diving clothesline! Ha, Helms landed on his feet as well. Helms drags Chavo into the ring and only gets a near fall for all of his trouble. Helms dominates for a time and at one point heads to the top rope to and is waiting for Chavo Guerrero to get his feet, and when he does Helms dives off the top rope with a crossbody but takes out referee Billy Silverman! Helms stops the check on the referee and nearly gets blindsided by Chavo Guerrero, but the champion sees it coming and blocks a punch and manages to nail the Nightmare on Helms Street! Shane Helms covers Chavo, but there’s no referee! Helms signals to the back for a new one to come out, but much to his (and everyone else’s) surprise it’s Mike Awesome who comes out!!! Awesome looks ready to kill somebody, and just as he gets to outside the ring Shane Helms launches himself over the top rope…but is caught by Awesome! Awesome rams Helms into the turnbuckle and throws him over the top rope before stepping into the ring. Chavo is up now and he and Awesome lock eyes and Chavo looks like he’s gonna shit himself and begs Awesome off. Awesome turns his attention back to Shane Helms, who’s back to his feet but runs right into clothesline! Awesome picks him back up…Awesome Bomb! “My god Helms is folded up like an accordion” says Schiavone, as Awesome turns to Chavo and grabs his arm, but then smirks and points to Helms. Chavo smirks back and covers Shane Helms as Awesome wakes the referee up…1…2…3 and that sir, is your new Cruiserweight champion!

Winner and NEW Cruiserweight champion: Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Mike Awesome grabs the Cruiserweight title from the timekeeper and gets back into the ring where he hands the title to Chavo and raises his hand! Well if this isn’t the weirdest combo in the history of ever. Chavo gets the nigh-unconscious referee Billy Silverman to strap the title around his waist as Mike Awesome goes to the top rope and crushes former champion Shane Helms with the Awesome Splash! Mike Awesome and Chavo Guerrero Jr. leave the ringside area as EMT’s check on the former champion. The match was really getting good before Helms took out the referee and Awesome got involved.

We cut to the back where Tony Schiavone introduces Jeremy Borash as the new backstage interviewer for WCW and he is with WCW champion Booker T. Borash is about to ask Booker T his opinion on Jeff Jarrett’s comments earlier this evening when Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger come out of nowhere and attack the champion! What the hell is going on? Totally Buff just beat the living crap out of the champion, which sees Luger lock a bloodied Booker in the Torture Rack before the duo then hit a double powerbomb on Booker through a nearby table! Luger and Bagwell celebrate their total dominance of the champion before leaving as EMT’s rush onto the scene. Wow, those EMT guys sure are busy tonight.

Backstage we see Chris Harris and James Storm discussing their upcoming singles matches against the Tag Team champions, Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire. They both say they are singles wrestlers and have no desire to team up together and after next week they’ll be done. They say they’ll watch each other’s backs, but that is it.

Sean O’Haire w/ Chuck Palumbo vs. James Storm w/ Chris Harris

For two guys who don’t want to team up they sure as hell seem to be together a lot. Schiavone says that after hearing Harris and Storm agree to watch each other’s backs here, the champions went to Eric Bischoff and demanded that Palumbo was allowed to accompany O’Haire to the ring tonight, and he granted his request. Storm and O’Haire don’t go for your usual lock-up but just exchange blows until Storm’s punches send O’Haire reeling back into the corner where Storm goes for a clothesline, but O’Haire slips out of the way and delivers a standing roundhouse kick that sends Storm to the mat. O’Haire stomps away at Storm before picking him up and scoop slamming him back down again. O’Haire goes for a leg drop but Storm moves out of the way. They both get to their feet at the same time and go back to exchanging blows for a while until O’Haire sets James Storm up on his shoulders for the Cruel Intentions, but Storm slips out of it and nails a super kick! Storm quickly covers O’Haire and it looks like we’ve got an upset victory on the cards…1…2…the referee stops the count as O’Haire is foot is on the rope, but Chuck Palumbo put it there! Chris Harris saw it and goes over and decks Palumbo, while in the ring Sean O’Haire grabs Storm by the tights and gets a school boy…1…2…3, Sean O’Haire steals a win!

Winner: Sean O’Haire

Chris Harris slides into the ring at the same time as O’Haire slides out of it and helps his tag team partner to his feet. James Storm gets up and is clearly pissed off and Harris tries to calm him down but Storm pushes him away, so Harris just leaves Storm alone in the ring, and Storm leaves soon after.

We cut backstage where Scott Hudson is with Dustin Rhodes, and says up next Dustin has a chance to advance in the United States title tournament when he takes on Buff Bagwell. Dustin says he last held the title nearly eight years ago and goes on to says Totally Buff’s actions earlier tonight were despicable, and says he’s gonna teach Buff Bagwell a lesson tonight and then go on to win the United States title.

WCWUS.png

Dustin Rhodes vs. Buff Bagwell

Buff Bagwell comes out first accompanied by Lex Luger, but referee Charle Robinson sends Luger to the back on threat of disqualification for Bagwell. Dustin Rhodes is out now and as seems to the fashion tonight, we start off with a brawl. It really is just a brawl and pretty much nothing else here. Much like the other matches Bagwell and Luger have been involved in, there are a couple of slams and such, but mostly punches and kicks. In Dustin’s defence, he really does try his best here, but he IS in the ring with Buff Bagwell, so you can’t expect much. Back and forth match finally comes to an end when Bagwell fell victim to the Curtain Call from Rhodes, who then went to the top rope and hit a diving bulldog to pick up the win and advance in the tournament.

Winner: Dustin Rhodes

Dustin is celebrating his victory when Lex Luger appears out of nowhere and nailed Dustin in the back of the head with a running forearm. He laid the boots to Dustin and Bagwell joined in the beating before Luger held Dustin up for Bagwell to climb to the top rope and hit the Buff Blockbuster. Bagwell spat on Dustin before Totally Buff left the ring with Bagwell telling Luger to win the US title. Wow Bagwell and Luger are sure making an impact tonight aren’t they? First Booker T and now Dustin Rhodes? You go guys. I mean, “go away” obviously.

We see clips of Hard Kash’s debut tag team match last week against the Tag Team champions, which then leads to Jason Jett and Kid Kash heading out to the ring and they are accompanied by Torrie Wilson! Yay, she’s back! And she’s hotter than ever! She has the microphone and says she spent her time away looking for the perfect client, and last week she saw potential in these two men. She saw them take the Tag Team champions to the limit, and so she took it upon herself to offer her “services” to them both. Lucky bastards. She then says that they are laying out a challenge to the Cruiserweight Tag Team champions, the Filthy Animals for a match for the titles next week on Nitro. No mention of her relationship with Kidman then? Ah there we go, Tenay comments on how she and Kidman were once an item, but that all ended last year the Great American Bash. Torrie basically just calls Hard Kash the hottest prospects in the wrestling world and promises that they will dominate the cruiserweight division and more for years to come. Well, Mike Awesome and Chavo Guerrero is a bit of an odd pairing and this isn’t all that normal either, but heck, it’s different.

We’re back and Reno is in the ring. Why is Reno in the ring? Oh I see, it’s Monty Brown time. Reno says WCW has been back two weeks and he hasn’t had a match, so he’s demanding one. The lights go out, and some really quite cool music hits the PA system as Monty Brown comes out! The fans are really into him already as they’re giving him quite the ovation. He enters the ring and is given a microphone. He declares himself “The Alpha Male” and says that he’s here to dominate WCW and tells Reno he’s about to feel the Pounce!

Reno vs. “The Alpha Male” Monty Brown”

I like the Alpha Male nickname; it’s pretty fitting for the way he looks. Now let’s see how he wrestles. Monty Brown unloads with punches that send Reno reeling into the ropes and Brown Irish-whips him across the ring and hits a back body drop…to which Reno gets right up from. Reno goes for a punch and Monty ducks it and then Irish-whips Reno into the corner and crushes him with a knee to the chest…to which Reno doesn’t fall down. I don’t particularly get this. Monty Brown does look a little bit annoyed here, and he Irish-whips him off the ropes and he bounces off the adjacent rope and crashes into Reno with the Pounce! Monty Brown covers Reno…1…2…3

Winner: “The Alpha Male” Monty Brown

Monty Brown celebrates his big win, but does look quite annoyed. Can’t blame him really, whatever Reno was doing it reminds me of the Goldberg/Regal match from a few years ago that got Regal released, so this doesn’t bode well for Reno. Still, you have question the logic in putting Brown with a guy roughly his own size in his debut.

We’re backstage where Jeremy Borash is with Diamond Dallas Page. DDP doesn’t let Borash ask him a question as he quickly says that Totally Buff should be ashamed of their actions earlier tonight, but he knows they won’t be. He talks about the trio of evil and says that tonight he’s gonna make Bryan Clarke pay for what happened last week.

Bryan Clarke vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Clarke is out first to his old Kronik music and stands with his arms crossed in the centre of the ring, looking pretty cool I must say. When DDP’s music hits the crowd goes wild and DDP rushes to the ring and just unloads on Bryan Clarke! DDP clotheslines him over the top rope and heads outside and smashes his head onto the steel steps. He then goes over the Tenay and Schiavone’s table and removes the monitors! Clarke’s getting wood! DDP turns around and walks straight into a big boot, followed by some stomps to the head. Clarke throws DDP back inside, but DDP guillotine’s him on the top rope as Clarke tries to return to the ring! DDP then slides back outside and picks up a steel chair and goes to smash it over Bryan Clarke’s head when he sees Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger running down to ringside, and DDP stands in a defensive position with the chair. He’s surrounded by Luger, Bagwell and Clarke when out of nowhere he gets a clothesline to the back of his head by Mike Awesome! The referee immediately calls for the bell.

Winner by DQ: Diamond Dallas Page

Chavo Guerrero Jr. joins Awesome and Totally Buff in laying the boots to DDP when Booker T’s music hits! The clearly injured champions struggles down the ramp with taped ribs as the four men at ringside stop and turn to look at Booker. Booker T is to busy focusing on getting down to the ring, he doesn’t see Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett appear behind him, and he gets a guitar smashed over his head! Booker rolls down the ramp to ringside, and we see Mike Awesome has continued his assault on DDP. He picks him up, puts his head between his legs and poses with his arms out wide. He’s gonna Awesome Bomb DDP through the table…and he does! DDP is dead! Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone have no idea what is going on and are screaming at the men in front of them who just laugh off their condemnation. All seven men get inside the ring and Jeff Jarrett has a microphone. He looks around him, looking at Scott Steiner, Mike Awesome, Cruiserweight champion Chavo Guerrero Jr, Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger as he raises the microphone to his lips.

Jarrett: Let me introduce you fans…to the Magnificent Seven! WCW’s darkest days are ahead of them, and we seven will be here to oversee them!

Jarrett throws down the microphone as all seven men pose in the ring as Nitro goes off the air.

Final Thoughts: Great opening promo started the show off well, and some solid matches definitely helped. Good debut for Christopher Daniels, while Monty Brown had an underwhelming one. The Awesome/Chavo pairing seemed very odd at the get-go, but makes a lot more sense come the end of the show. Definitely liking the guys they’ve gone with for this new version of the Magnificent Seven. WCW has direction.

That was quite a good show, Except for Jindrak losing to Daniels. Glad to see Chavo back on top of the cruiserweight division, And I must admit, I though the pairing with him and Awesome was a bit weird, Until the end of the show, Of course. The new M7 seems very cool, Especially since it gives guys like Awesome, Chavo, Helms (if he goes after them) alot of attention, And it gives new people a chance on top of WCW. Looking forward to the next show.

RENO RELEASED

Thursday 2nd August 2001

WCW.com has confirmed the release of Reno today after his showing last night against the debuting Monty Brown where Reno gave a very poor showing of himself. However it’s believed that Reno was released by Eric Bischoff as soon as he got backstage after the match.

WCW have very big plans for Monty Brown, and his debuting match came across very badly on TV, mostly due to Reno’s refusal or inability to sell as Brown’s offence as hard as WCW officials had wanted him to. Monty Brown actually had his first ever match under WCW contract against Reno several weeks ago at a FCW event where Reno sold well for him, so it’s unclear what caused this change of attitude.

Reno has been with WCW for only a few years, came through the Power Plant and was brought up to the main roster with the Natural Born Thrillers last year. Expect WCW to stick to harsh punishments when it comes to Monty Brown for the foreseeable future, as they are trying to recreate and better their Goldberg experiment with someone who they believe to have much more potential inside the ring as well as on the microphone. The idea is to have Monty Brown ‘learn as he goes’ by perfecting things on TV and at house shows, and expect Monty Brown to be put in a programme with a seasoned worker in the coming months, but expect to see him face much smaller guys then Reno for the foreseeable future.

WCW OFF-AIR RESULTS AND NOTES

Thursday 2nd August 2001

Dark Matches

Norman Smiley defeated Buck Quartermain with the Norman Conquest.

Hard Kash defeated Johnny Swinger and Simon Diamond when Kash hit a corkscrew body press on Diamond. They didn’t have Torrie with them yet.

Shawn Stasiak defeated Alan Funk when he pinned him after a blue thunder bomb. Paisley and Stacy got into a catfight, and Stacy complained to Stasiak after the match.

Biggest Pops

1 – Booker T returning to try and help DDP

2 – DDP

3 – Monty Brown, surprisingly, I didn’t expect such a good reaction. Some Goldberg chants though

Biggest Heat

1 – The Magnificent Seven

2 – Mike Awesome helping Chavo Guerrero win the Cruiserweight title

3 – Totally Buff laying out Booker T backstage

WWF DEBUT ECW SAME WEEK WCW FORM NEW MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Thursday 2nd August 2001

Last night on Nitro saw the formation of a new Magnificent Seven consisting of Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner, Totally Buff, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Mike Awesome and Bryan Clarke. However, two days prior to this the WWF introduced fans to Tommy Dreamer, Danny Doring, Roadkill and CW Anderson who joined Rhyno, Raven, Perry Saturn, Justin Credible, Dean Malenko, the Dudley Boyz and Paul Heyman in the debut of the invading ECW who interfered in the main event WWF title match between ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin and Chris Jericho by taking out both men.

WCW officials are said to be annoyed that they knew nothing about the WWF’s plans, and thought Wednesday’s show might come across as a rip-off to some of the WWF fans WCW are trying to attract back, even though the idea for the Magnificent Seven was going to be the driving force for WCW for the near future and thought up back in April.

At the moment the WWF don’t have a particularly big ECW name in their ranks and have been battling with WCW for the signatures of Rob Van Dam and Sabu, both of who are currently working for All Japan Pro Wrestling until at least the new year.

WCWNitro.gif

August 8, 2001

Live from Fayetteville, Arkansas

Show starts off with highlights of last week, showing the events that led to the formation of the Magnificent Seven. We see Mike Awesome help Chavo Guerrero win the Cruiserweight title, Totally Buff assaulting Booker T and then Dustin Rhodes and finally the attack on DDP in the main event. We also see the debut of Monty Brown thrown in there, which luckily only includes him hitting the Pounce and him posing in the ring after the win.

We get the usual Nitro opening which now ends with the Magnificent Seven posing in the ring from last week’s Nitro and we are greeted almost immediately with some brand new music which belongs to the Magnificent Seven. So four weeks into the “new” WCW and only one Nitro has started with a match, and that was Kanyon vs. Norman Smiley, so nothing particularly special there. Anyway they’re in the ring now, and bizarrely is it is, the new Cruiserweight champion Chavo Guerrero is the one with the microphone!

Chavo: I bet you people are wondering why I have the mic eh? Chavo Guerrero, some poor little cruiserweight who also happens to be a Mexican? Well let me tell you why I’m the one who’s talking here, and it’s because this man right here (pointing to Jeff Jarrett) spoke to me a couple of weeks ago, and he came up with the idea of the Magnificent Seven, and he wanted me! He wanted Chavo Guerrero in the group that will dominate WCW! I was here in the nWo days, the days of the Four Horsemen, and can you remember which one of those two groups I was with? That’s right, none of them! They didn’t want Chavo Guerrero in the nWo or in the Four Horsemen, but Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner told me I was the missing link in the Magnificent Seven! Do you know why? It’s because I am a cruiserweight! Look around at these seven men, and you’ll notice they’re all over 220lbs, so they couldn’t win this belt (patting the title)!

Chavo then hands the microphone to Mike Awesome! What the hell is going on? I thought this would be some ego stroking time for Jarrett and Steiner! Awesome says he’s going to advance in the title tournament tonight and win the US title. Does he know he’s facing Chavo tonight? Luger then reminds Mike Awesome that he’s still in the US title tournament, so he’s gonna win. They have some friendly joking there, and we feel the love. Bagwell then says that he and Luger will just have to go out and win the Tag Team titles. I think I see where this is going. Maybe. Just maybe. Bagwell then hands the microphone to Jarrett. No mic for Steiner who’s busy with his freak.

Jarrett: Let’s not forget that we’ve got two, count em, two bonafide main-eventers right here! We’re the moneymakers for WCW, and when all is said and done, the Magnificent Seven will hold all the gold! Booker T, DDP, you’ve felt and seen exactly what we’re all about so my advice to you two is get out of our way, and Booker? I suggest you do exactly what you did four weeks ago and chicken-out and hand over that World Heavyweight title!

Jarrett stops talking as the boos ring down on the Magnificent Seven, who just stand there smirking and laughing. You notice that of all the titles they mentioned, they negated to say anything about the Cruiserweight Tag Team titles? Is that a sign? Jarrett then gives the microphone BACK to Chavo, who now has his arm around Mike Awesome’s shoulder.

Chavo: Now we got ourselves a match in the US title tournament next, and let’s not waste anytime shall we? Let’s have a referee out here now shall we? We’ll show all the guys in the back just what real competition is all about!

WCWUS.png

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Mike Awesome

The Magnificent Seven stay at ringside as a referee comes out to the ring. Chavo and Mike Awesome shake hands and then hug as the bell rings. They circle one another and lock-up and Awesome gives Chavo a body slam and Chavo doesn’t move. Hmmm, it appears he’s been ‘knocked-out’ by that slam and the referee knows exactly what’s going on and tries to convince Chavo to get up, but Chavo’s selling his ‘injury’ well. Mike Awesome demands that referee Scott Armstrong count Chavo out, which he does, and the referee awards the match to Mike Awesome via ‘knock-out’.

Winner: Mike Awesome

The Magnificent Seven flood into the ring to check on Chavo Guerrero who has made a MIRACULOUS recovery and gets up to hug Mike Awesome. The Seven look to leave the ring but don’t see Shane Helms run in through the crowd onto the top rope! They turn around as Helms launches himself off the top rope…into the arms of Mike Awesome! Awesome powerfully slams him down before picking him back up and giving him a vicious Awesome Bomb against the turnbuckle. The Seven NOW leave the ring as Scott Armstrong helps Helms to his feet.

Back from the commercial break we see the Magnificent Seven heading to their locker room with a bunch of girls. Chavo says Awesome didn’t have to slam him quite so hard, to which Awesome replies by saying he had to make it look real! Chavo apologies and says it’s all good, when they run into Eric Bischoff. Bischoff congratulates Mike Awesome and Lex Luger on advancing to the quarter-finals, as well as congratulating Chavo for winning the Cruiserweight title last week, but then says he has to make a main event for tonight…and in punishment for Chavo throwing his match against Mike Awesome he books Chavo Guerrero vs. Booker T for the main event! Chavo looks pissed as Eric Bischoff walks off. Chavo tells the girls on his arms that he needs something to calm him down and they walk off. That Chavo, smooth as a marble.

Chris Harris vs. Chuck Palumbo

Tony Schiavone informs us that both James Storm and Sean O’Haire are barred from ringside. Schiavone then says that he hopes tonight signals the end for this feud because the Tag Team champions need to be defending their titles which they have yet to do since WCW returned last month. The two trash talk to start, which culminates in Harris slapping Palumbo in the face! Palumbo tries to deck him, but Harris ducks and hits a drop kick. Palumbo gets to his feet and runs right into an arm-drag takedown and Harris follows it up with an armbar, but he quickly grabs the other arm and puts his knee into the back of Chuck Palumbo and wrenches back. Palumbo is yelling in pain and Harris eventually lets go of the hold and goes for a cover but just about gets a two count. Harris tries to stay on the offensive and tries an elbow drop, but Palumbo rolls out of the way and quickly goes for a school-boy but has a handful of tights…1…2…kick-out by Chris Harris! Palumbo is furious with the referee and almost is to distracted to see Chris Harris get up, but Palumbo does spot him and ducks a Harris punch only to lay Harris out with a stiff right hand of his own. Palumbo shakes his hand out, and then poses for the crowd and motioning towards his Tag Team title belt. He turns around and Chris Harris is on his feet and Palumbo gets scooped up in a fall-away slam position before he hits a spinning sidewalk slam! Harris covers him…1…2…3, Chris Harris pins one-half of the Tag Team champions!

Winner: Chris Harris

Harris is celebrating his big win, and Schiavone and Mike Tenay comment about how this feud is over now but when Harris turns around he is met with a big super kick to the jaw that lays him out on the mat! Tenay says he guesses it isn’t over then! My sentiments exactly. Palumbo is pissed about losing so he leaves the ring and comes back in with a steel chair in hand before he smashes it over Chris Harris’ ribs! Palumbo gears up for another shot when James Storm runs out to the ring which forces Palumbo to run out of the ring, grab his gold head and up the ramp where he’s met by Sean O’Haire. The Tag Team champions hold their titles in the air as Storm checks on Harris. Definitely looks like we’re in store for a Tag Team title match with these guys soon.

We head to the back where Scott Hudson is with Booker T and DDP. Booker still has his ribs taped from last weeks attack by Totally Buff, and DDP makes it a matching pair because of DDP taking an Awesome Bomb through the announce table. Hudson asks both of them about how they’re feeling after last weeks assault, and DDP replies by saying they may be hurt but a wounded animals is often the most dangerous of them all. Booker talks about how they were around when the nWo were around and running the joint, and that the Magnificent Seven are just another obstacle they’ll have to overcome. Booker says this title means he’s the ‘one’, and he says that none of the Seven are gonna take this belt away from him! Hudson asks Booker about the main event, and Booker talks up Chavo Guerrero, saying he’s a great wrestler and comes from a great family, but says the apple fell a little bit away from the tree, and says injured or not, he’s gonna teach Chavo a lesson tonight.

Backstage we see the Magnificent Seven in their locker room and there are literally about 10-15 girls in there with them. They wish Bryan Clarke the best of luck tonight and Jarrett says Chavo told him to tell him good luck as well, but he’s a bit busy right now, and points to a locked door. Nudge nudge, wink wink and all that.

WCWUS.png

Bryan Clarke vs. Ernest “The Cat” Miller

We have a Cat sighting! I thought he was dead. Well, he will be after this match so I guess I wasn’t to far wrong. Clarke is without the back-up of the Seven, but I hardly think the results gonna be in doubt. The Cat’s dancing to ringside doesn’t impress Bryan Clarke and just looks somewhat disgusted with him. When Miller gets into the ring Clarke takes him right out with a vicious clothesline. Clarke punches and kicks away at The Cat before picking him up and hitting a chokeslam. Clarke covers him, but lifts his head up before the three count. He lifts Ernest Miller to his feet and he hits a big powerbomb before covering, and then again lifts Miller’s head at the last minute. He picks him up to his feet yet again and Miller is spaghetti legged and Clarke finally finishes it off with a chokeslam before pinning him with a foot on his chest to advance in the tournament.

Winner: Bryan Clarke

Clarke goes to leave, but decides to go back into the ring and lifts Miller up and sets him up on the top rope before grabbing him by the throat and hitting another chokeslam to the mat. That’s three members of the Magnificent Seven in the final eight now.

At ringside, Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay talk about “The Alpha Male” Monty Brown making his debut last week and they talk about how his impressive win last week on Nitro saw him pick up his first win, but don’t mention Reno by name. They say he continued his impressive streak by beating Norman Smiley at a non-televised event. They show footage of him nailing the Pounce on Smiley and pinning him. Wow, they’re really going the Goldberg route with him, even going for an undefeated streak!

“The Alpha Male” Monty Brown vs. Evan Karagias

Monty Brown gets another good reaction, and this match really doesn’t last that long, but was far better than last week. We see Lex Luger and Buff Bagwell watching on backstage, so I guess they’re building a feud between the two/three. Monty Brown hits a double-handed chokebomb, a sidewalk slam and a powerslam before finishing Karagias off with the Pounce making Monty Brown 3-0.

Winner: Monty Brown

Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay hype the Cruiserweight Tag Team titles match up next, and remind everyone what happened last week where Torrie Wilson returned to WCW on arms of Kid Kash and Jason Jett and challenged the Filthy Animals to a title match. Tenay says he understands Billy Kidman and Torrie have has some words during the week. Ooooo, tension!

WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles

WCWCruiserweightTagTeam.png

Hard Kash w/ Torrie Wilson vs. Filthy Animals w/ Konnan

Hard Kash are out first, and when the champs come out Kidman comes out and wants to know what Torrie is thinking, but Kid Kash gets between the two and tells Kidman to go away. Mysterio and Konnan tell Kidman the same thing and tell him no to let Torrie distract him. Mysterio and Jett start off and circle each other and go for a lock-up but Jett grabs his chest and hits a northern lights suplex that gets only a one-count. The two get up and Jett walks right into a hurricanrana, which gets only a two count. Mysterio stays on offence and bounces off the ropes and gives Jett a dropkick right to the mouth before heading to the apron and missing a springboard leg drop. Jett gets up and quickly tags in Kid Kash who takes Mysterio down with a crossbody for a near fall, but Kash tries to follow up to quickly with a senton but crashes onto Mysterio’s knees which just looks painful. We see Torrie checking that Jett isn’t bleeding, and Schiavone points out Kidman looking quite jealous, and he doesn’t even notice Mysterio asking for the tag until Konnan points it out to him. Kidman does get the tag but he gets a deep arm-drag from Kid Kash who locks in an armbar. He releases the pressure but locks his arm behind his back and drops his knee across it twice. He picks him up again and wrenches Kidman’s arm and hits a scoop slam and Kidman lands right on his arm. Kash heads to the top rope and waits for Kidman to get up and goes for a hurricanrana, but Kidman catches him and hits a hard powerbomb! Nice reversal there, but the pin only gets Kidman a near fall. Kash is right next to Jett and manages to get a blind tag and as Kidman locks in a Boston crab Jett runs to the ropes past Kidman and hits a shining wizard to the face of Billy Kidman! Jett covers him but Mysterio breaks up the cover. Jason Jett complains to the referee about Mysterio’s interference and as the referee gives him a telling off Kid Kash gives Kidman a leg drop and leaves the ring. Konnan then complains to the referee about Kash, but the referee tells Konnan to get away from the ring. Hard Kash are playing the heels here, but they seem to actually be faces. Kash and Jett pick Kidman up and try for a double-suplex, but Kidman rolls with the move and lands on his feet and hits a double neckbreaker! Kidman crawls towards his corner, but sees Torrie showing some concern for her boys and stops for a second. Both Mysterio and Konnan shout at Kidman who refocuses his attention to his teammate and makes the hot tag! Mysterio hops onto the top rope and hits a standing senton onto the shoulders of Jason Jett before dropkicking Kid Kash in the knees and immediately follows up by heading to the apron and does what he failed to do earlier in the match by hitting a springboard leg drop for a near fall. Jett picks Mysterio up, but Mysterio lays into him with some right hands and chops and whips Jett into the corner before tagging in Billy Kidman. Kidman then goes over to Jett and hits him with a few right hands and sets him up on the top rope. Mysterio then runs towards Kidman who lifts him up in the air and he lands on Jett’s shoulders and hits a sweet hurricanrana! Kidman then heads to the top rope and after looking at Torrie he dives off the top rope and nails the Shooting Star Press! Mysterio dives out of the ring onto Kid Kash to prevent him from getting inside as the referee counts…1…2…3 and the Filthy Animals retain the titles!

Winners and STILL Cruiserweight Tag Team champions: The Filthy Animals

Konnan, Mysterio and Kidman celebrate the win and it’s Torrie Wilson who brings in the Cruiserweight Tag Team titles and hands them to Kidman and Mysterio. She applauds them and shares a look with Kidman before checking on Jason Jett and Kid Kash. Kidman clearly still has some feelings for Torrie as the Animals celebrate their win.

Backstage we’re with Jeremy Borash who happens to be standing by with Chris Kanyon and Miss Victoria! Kanyon talks about how he’s going to win the US title by going right on by Shawn Stasiak and Stacy Keibler. The mention of Stacy’s name makes Victoria go a bit crazy and she grabs Borash by the shirt and holds him against a wall as she says she’s gonna tear Stacy apart! Kanyon calms her down and somehow convinces her to let Borash go, and as she turns around Kanyon does the “she’s crazy” motion with his finger. Kanyon is awesome.

Tenay and Schiavone hype up the main event of Booker T vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr. and reminds us of how Chavo threw the match with Mike Awesome at the top of the show. Schiavone says Chavo’s in line for a lesson tonight.

Booker T vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.

All of the other members of the Magnificent Seven have been banned from ringside, as has Diamond Dallas Page should he have decided to come out. Chavo’s out first and Schiavone comments about Chavo’s ‘experience’ with the girls earlier tonight. Yeah Tony; an ‘experience’. Booker wastes no time and rushes to the ring and completely unloads on Chavo Guerrero! Booker Irish-whips Chavo off the ropes and hits a back elbow before nailing a double knee drop. Booker doesn’t go for the cover though and just picks Chavo up, but Chavo slides out of the ring and tries to leave the arena and starts up the ramp. Booker immediately leaves the ring and grabs Chavo by the head and brings him back to the ring by smashing his head off the ring steps and rolling him into the ring. Booker gets into the ring and waits for Chavo to get up…and hits the scissors kick! Booker looks ready to cover him when Bryan Clarke appears on the apron! Booker hits a sidekick, which knocks him off the apron when Lex Luger slides into the ring, who then gets tosses right out of the ring. Buff Bagwell gets involved as well but Booker catches him and sets him up for a Book End when he gets cracked over the back with a steel pipe courtesy of Scott Steiner! Charles Robinson FINALLY calls for the bell and disqualifies Chavo Guerrero.

Winner by DQ: Booker T

The Magnificent Seven beat down Booker T when Diamond Dallas Page’s music hits and DDP runs out with a steel chair in hand to save Booker T. DDP gets in the ring and smashes Buff Bagwell over the head with a chair but DDP quickly gets taken down a notch when Steiner whacks him in the head with the steel pipe! DDP is busted open now and Steiner locks him in a Steiner Recliner as Jeff Jarrett picks up Booker T’s World Heavyweight title and holds it right in his face and asks him if he’s enjoying his time. Jarrett asks Luger to punish Booker, so Lex Luger picks Booker T up and holds him in the Torture Rack, and the last image we see is Booker in the Torture Rack, DDP in the Recliner, Chavo holding up his Cruiserweight title and Jeff Jarrett holding up Booker’s WCW title.

Final Thoughts:

Apart from the Hard Kash/Filthy Animals match Nitro was essentially devoid of wrestling tonight. It was all about the angles, which can be acceptable at times but tonight it just seemed a little…off. A lot of the angles were built well, and Fall Brawl seems to have a bunch of matches essentially ‘booked’ with a Jarrett/Booker match, a Chavo/Helms, a Steiner/DDP and Harris/Storm vs. Palumbo/O’Haire match seemingly on the cards for next month. Another solid show, but not as good as last weeks though.

The storylines are building up nicely. I especially liked Chavo getting to be in the main event. Just too bad he's out of the tournament. Fall Brawl looks like a solid show with the rumored matches, I can see O'Haire and Palumbo dropping the titles to Harris and Storm, only because I think O'Haire is headed for big things. I am also interested in seeing what's happening between Torrie and Kidman.

Only thing I didn't like was The Cat getting squashed, since he seemed pretty popular with the fans and could have been a uppercard wrestler. Right now, I think Clark is headed for the title, either him or Awesome.

Nice show, and I like how your pushing some of the guys that had great potential in real life but never got the right push, such as Mike and Chavo. But, I didn't like the Awesome/Chavo match, just brings back memories of The Fingerpoke of doom. But, seeing as it advanced storylines and set up the main event, as well as wasn't for a title, I'll let it slide.