Worst Trades in History?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is Yashin's contract anyways?

Not as long as Rick Dipietro's, but it was ten years when he was signed in 2001 so he has 4 years left by my count. DiPietro has 15 left. I mena seriously, how did Garth Snow become a General Manager?

How long is Yashin's contract anyways?

Not as long as Rick Dipietro's, but it was ten years when he was signed in 2001 so he has 4 years left by my count. DiPietro has 15 left. I mena seriously, how did Garth Snow become a General Manager?

Worst trade ever...

Entering the 1998 draft, Manning and Leaf were widely considered to be the two best players overall in the draft. The San Diego Chargers had the third pick of the draft but made a trade with the Arizona Cardinals to guarantee the Chargers would get one of the two quarterbacks. To move up one spot, the Chargers traded two first-round picks, a second-round pick and four-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

Ryan Leaf for 2 first-round picks, a second-round pick, and Eric Metcalf.

I'm hesitant to include pick-for-pick trades, because you're trading (at best) a known selection # for a known selection #.

Although if we include bad draft-day decisions, clearly Tim Couch over McNabb, Jevon Kearse, Edgerrin James, Torry Holt, and Champ Bailey ranks pretty high.

The trades I usually think as bad are the ones they DON'T make. Since I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan I know all about this. For example, during the 2004 season, we were shopping Kris Benson, a former #1 pick who never lived up to the hype. One of the offers we recived for him was Philly's 1st Basemen Prospect Ryan Howard, straight up. Instead of getting this deal, we got Ty Wiggington and some other minor leaguers. Now, neither Benson nor Ty did much with either the Mets or the Pirates after that, and by 2006, both were on new teams. I've always hated the Pirates GM Dave Littlefield for not making that deal, almost as much as I hated Cam Bonifay, the GM before Littlefield, for signing Derek Bell, leading him to go into "OPERATION SHUTDOWN".