Traditional Mafia Signups

Oh, there are a lot of fancy pants Mafias in the Cube, we all know. But when you actually look at them, you'll soon find that with all the random bandwagons, faulty logic and so on, it's become much more a game of luck than skill. When Mafia was first devised by Dimma Davidoff in Moscow University in 1986, it was intended entirely as a game of skill, that skill being the art of persuasion, of argument, of cunning and wit. Those are the skills you will need to display to be successful in this diary.

For in Traditional Mafia, there will be no fancy abilities, no cheap tactics. Two alignments, Town and Mafia. The Town has only ONE advantage over the Mafia; they outnumber them. And the Mafia have only ONE advantage over the Town; they know each other's identities. In this way, the contest becomes one of 'uninformed majority vs. informed minority'. Both sides must make use of this sole advantage in order to achieve success.

Otherwise, the rules are more or less the same as standard. Town lynches by day, Mafia kills by night and so on. I think the one major difference from standard EWB rules other than in terms of roles is that talking outside the game thread, while strongly discouraged, is not illegal. Why? Simply because actually having knowledge counts for NOTHING in Traditional Mafia. Getting people to believe you have knowledge, even when you don't... that's the real trick. With no abilities to rely on, the only knowledge that counts is the knowledge the Mafia has - it's the only thing that's concrete. And the only thing the Town has to rely on is their own ability to try and find the liars from the honest players.

Simply, the most important thing is activity. The Town needs to pay attention to what people say, decide whose logic or arguments they find suspicious, and lynch them. The Mafia must use their increased knowledge to ensure they aren't lynched. As such, if you don't think you're going to participate much, you're probably better off not signing up, as you will either die or be replaced due to inactivity.

I don't really mind how many people sign up, so I'll just close them whenever I feel like. Oh, and for the record, Zan has officially decided that this will not be classified as an active game, nor take up one of the five slots - it is merely a side project, an experiment of sorts if you will. That probably means it's super important and you should sign up right away... if you really think you have what it takes to be a true Mafia player.

First twenty to sign up get in, others after that become standbys for replacements:

1. Kulex

2. oldskool

3. L.C.S

4. Mr. Potato Head

5. Dragon-F'n-Force

6. JHS

7. Gongsun Zan

8. Mysterio2000X

9. LocoJCD

10. SSTB

11. Ace

12. Canadian Destroyer

13. k mac

14. Jam

15. GoGo Yubari

16. Rashid

17. Hajjhowe

18. C-MIL

19. thug

20. The Judge

Replacements: Josh-oo-wuh, Misanthrope

Edited by Asmodean

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Wiki says that about it bein created in 1986, but I'm fairly sure I've seen something that contradicts that. The problem is, of course, that I can't remember where. Anyway, I'm not joining this as I personally don't think it'll work; it's not a slight on you, but this particular game is better suited for real-life, where you can't take hours constructing arguments and such.

Zan makes another point, in that without any way for the town-aligned players to work out who's who for certain - investigation roles - the whole thing is going to be almost random voting. Even the most basic Mafia games have a policeman and a doctor role, otherwise the town will probably get slaughtered.

Edited by Ze

[Zan]"Who are you," the Proud Lord said, "that I must bow so low?" says:

it's a trainwreck effect.

[Zan] "Who are you," the Proud Lord said, "that I must bow so low?" says:

but if i join, i'll just get all flustered

[TEOL] - forsaken sensation - ain't gonna rain says:

Boo.

[TEOL] - forsaken sensation - ain't gonna rain says:

At least Be has the excuse of being a pussy.

:@

FINE

sign me up.

:pervert:

I know Wiki says that about it bein created in 1986, but I'm fairly sure I've seen something that contradicts that. The problem is, of course, that I can't remember where. Anyway, I'm not joining this as I personally don't think it'll work; it's not a slight on you, but this particular game is better suited for real-life, where you can't take hours constructing arguments and such.

Zan makes another point, in that without any way for the town-aligned players to work out who's who for certain - investigation roles - the whole thing is going to be almost random voting. Even the most basic Mafia games have a policeman and a doctor role, otherwise the town will probably get slaughtered.

I feel the need to explain why I think you're wrong, and also, while I can't speak for Zan, I think you've missed the point of what he was saying.

First of all, Cop/Doctor games are notoriously broken - the Cop simply has to claim and get the Doctor to protect him every night, and unless the Mafia get lucky and hit the Doctor, they're going to lose. Obviously, the Cop is the only player worth protecting for the Doctor anyway. Secondly, your assertion that without investigators, the town is doomed is just ridiculous. Again, the skill is telling truth from lies - working out who's honest and who's scum based on what they say and how they act. If people vote randomly all the time, then yes, they will almost certainly lose. But the balance is in effect ruined when you give the town knowledge - they're supposed to be an uninformed majority.

The easy way around that would be:

1. Mafia claims Doctor. Town doctor counterclaims, dies, Mafia loses their doctor.

2. Mafia claims Cop, starts pulling results out his ass. Harder to pull off, but I've seen it done.

3. Mafia convinces everyone the Cop is lying.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

Strategy number one is ineffective as long as the Town remembers the number one rule of being the Town doctor: "Don't ever, under any circumstances, claim doctor." Strategy number two can be nipped in the bud if the town actually lynches anyone the Mafia cop claims is Mafia. Strategy number three obviously relies on persuasion and is therefore risky.