Traditional Mafia Signups

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Wiki says that about it bein created in 1986, but I'm fairly sure I've seen something that contradicts that. The problem is, of course, that I can't remember where. Anyway, I'm not joining this as I personally don't think it'll work; it's not a slight on you, but this particular game is better suited for real-life, where you can't take hours constructing arguments and such.

Zan makes another point, in that without any way for the town-aligned players to work out who's who for certain - investigation roles - the whole thing is going to be almost random voting. Even the most basic Mafia games have a policeman and a doctor role, otherwise the town will probably get slaughtered.

I feel the need to explain why I think you're wrong, and also, while I can't speak for Zan, I think you've missed the point of what he was saying.

First of all, Cop/Doctor games are notoriously broken - the Cop simply has to claim and get the Doctor to protect him every night, and unless the Mafia get lucky and hit the Doctor, they're going to lose. Obviously, the Cop is the only player worth protecting for the Doctor anyway. Secondly, your assertion that without investigators, the town is doomed is just ridiculous. Again, the skill is telling truth from lies - working out who's honest and who's scum based on what they say and how they act. If people vote randomly all the time, then yes, they will almost certainly lose. But the balance is in effect ruined when you give the town knowledge - they're supposed to be an uninformed majority.

For the record, I'm mostly reserving analysis on the way most people are playing on an individual basis since in many cases it would probably give away their alignment; the old 'are they scum or just really bad at this game?' dilemma. Certain people are just being stupid/jackasses for the sake of it, though.

I'm not denying it may be true, but you're missing my point. If it is true, and the Mafia are killing off the players they deem to be good, they are now aware that you've brought up your theory and if they carry on down this path, the remaining "good" players left are likely to be Mafia. Hence, they will probably change tactics now and hit targets who aren't as active or as intelligent as those dead already. If you hadn't said anything, however, they would have gone on killing the smart players and the ones left would be likely to be Mafia. You would be able to narrow down the frame, and even if you say so after one more death, the town would have better chance of winning.

That said, this is all going off the supposition that you're not Mafia yourself. If you are Mafia, and I have a suspicion you are, then this is a good confusion tactic.