The Mafia Discussion Thread

Deadlines - they are a necessity in games. When they hit, and a consensus hasn't been reached, different GMs have different ways to deal with them and their consequences. I've seen all of the following outcomes in games around here:

• Extended deadline
  • No lynch - it is in town's best interests to lynch someone. If they don't, screw 'em, etc.
  • 'Sunset' rules
  • Random player death
  • Random townie death
  • Random death of a player with bottom x% number of posts in the last day phase/game.

What do people think is the best option? I've usually gone with the 'no lynch' option, as it is in town's interest to use the lynch - it is their main tool (along with discussion) to win the game.

I like to go with random player death in the games I run...

I figure, sure it's the towns best weapon however it also forces mafia to stay active and vote for lynches too otherwise they know they can skate by and not be forced into throwing votes down towards a deadline if it's only going to result in a random townie death or a no lynch...

That's my reasoning behind a random player death anyway...

I like to go with random player death in the games I run...

I figure, sure it's the towns best weapon however it also forces mafia to stay active and vote for lynches too otherwise they know they can skate by and not be forced into throwing votes down towards a deadline if it's only going to result in a random townie death or a no lynch...

That's my reasoning behind a random player death anyway...

I get that. My thing with a totally random player death is that it potentially penalises players (town or scum) that may be the ones contributing.

Random townie death for me. A no lynch, in the past, has lead to the same lack of activity the following day phase as well. Random townie death is a harsher penalty and really puts the town on notice. I find that games tend to move forward more after a random townie death.

Thanks for the input guys.

... you may find out sooner rather than later the influence it has had on me. :pervert:

• Like 2

I say the worst player in that particular day phase should be flogged.

Well, that goes without saying!

I would like to add, DFF, that if theres a player that isnt playing and you cant find a replacement, that is the one that should go. Because no matter the alignment, a player that doesnt play holds up the game by costing a vote and yet at the same time raising the amount of votes needed.

• Like 1

I think instead of Dune, I'm going to go with something else, possibly Anime Mafia III, or something more original, or rather, something that hasn't been done.