The Mafia Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Cloudy said:

We've had games like that before, with stricter deadlines, that ran to varying degrees of success. My problem with it is that we're already playing a game that heavily favors the mafia because they start with an advantage (knowledge), and when you add in a strict deadline you get a lot of panicked "we've got to beat the deadline!" votes, for no other reason than to avoid a no lynch, or a random kill, or whatever the game runner decides is the punishment for not meeting the deadline. So it stacks the deck even more for the mafia, and as a result after 1 or 2 bad lynches or missed deadlines, the town throws up their hands and stops trying. I think some people would say that's an "EWB problem", but I think it's a problem in any kind of game where the odds are too heavily in favor of one side. 

People's instincts are better than they think, and town only has to lynch right half the time they don't have magic powers. My instincts are not good, but I still win because I'll play them anyway and drag the town kicking and screaming into activity with me, and if I'm 2 for 4, we'll win. A time limit forcing people to go with their gut rather than wait for the perfect power or perfect suspect or perfect argument before they vote would go a long way to improving town play. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Carbonbasedlife said:

Oh yeah! Congrats Sheep! I thought your baby was closer in age to my littlest than that. Mine's turning 1 next month.

Totally off-topic.

i suppose if we can't kickstart the mafia group on here again...epic mafia?

Not quite that old, but it's amazing how fast she seems to be getting there. And thanks! 

On a mafia note I'd be down for playing some games with stricter time limits on things. Might help

• Like 2

So...epic mafia is terrible. Just a bunch of people "loling" at each other, and spamming the room with bullshit.

I'm up for a game with stricter time-limits as well. It will be easier for people to not lose focus if they know they're signing up to play for one or two weeks instead of an undetermined amount of time.

I'm always up for a game but I can only play one at a time because I simply do not have enough time to read pages and pages, nor 1 post that feels like pages and pages. As you could tell in Lucha mafia. I loved the game but I missed so much because I was trying to quickly skim before work or during commercial breaks in shows.

I can only speak for myself but I moved away from mafia because I have a career and family now.  Back in my most active mafia days I was just a college student with plenty of free time to bs around in mafia games.  Now, not so much, on days I work I generally have 4-5 hours before going to bed and most of that time is devoted to family.  On my off days I usually have errands or family activities to attend.  I barely have enough free time to support my NBA diary in the cube, so in all honesty for people like me it doesn't matter how the games are structured I wouldn't be able to commit to playing.

• 6 months later...

So, thinking about doing a completely random game in terms of the actual characters, maybe 12 people, more if possible. 

Thoughts? Or am I beating a dead horse? :( 

I do think smaller games have merit. One thing that also kills this forum is that people put up sign-ups, and no one signs-up, but they get all upset when someone else wants to run their game. There should be a limit of time for your sign-up thread and if it doesn't fill up then the game doesn't run.

On 27/08/2016 at 21:33, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

I do think smaller games have merit. One thing that also kills this forum is that people put up sign-ups, and no one signs-up, but they get all upset when someone else wants to run their game. There should be a limit of time for your sign-up thread and if it doesn't fill up then the game doesn't run.

We've had one sign up thread in seven months (and it had one person join) and one completed Mafia in fourteen months. I don't think people being spread too thin or sign ups taking slots is the problem any longer.

People are just sick of the bickering and fighting that the game causes. Instead of playing a game and having fun they take things as personal attacks. Plus games drag on way too long in the name of "discussion", instead of people placing votes, because they're afraid of losing or being town and being killed for how they voted. Too much self-interest.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Benji said:

We've had one sign up thread in seven months (and it had one person join) and one completed Mafia in fourteen months. I don't think people being spread too thin or sign ups taking slots is the problem any longer.

People are just sick of the bickering and fighting that the game causes. Instead of playing a game and having fun they take things as personal attacks. Plus games drag on way too long in the name of "discussion", instead of people placing votes, because they're afraid of losing or being town and being killed for how they voted. Too much self-interest.

I was thinking about this problem, so what I was considering was a strict 48 hour time limit for votes, most votes dies, in the event of a tie the death is either random or what I think will stir the most shit :shifty: . 

• 3 months later...

*dust devil rolls by*

Guess this it's a long shot that anyone fancies a game?